Sign in to follow this  
AvSat44

Orpheus Silex Turntable

A Decca arm lifter now that's something you don't see often

Edited by mloutfie

Have any Silex owners out there added a spring to the idler carrier, if so why and what did you gain. Just curious thanks.

When you have worked out an asking price, please let me know. Have been looking for one for a while.

Hey t_mike, I gave it away to a friend today, I was hoping it would end up in the hands of someone who digs it. My friend is going to give it some TLC, but if he looses interest, I will get in touch here.

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what it would be worth! 

And another one slips by...   😭

Thanks for your consideration Sammi, I have my fingers crossed. Just don't let your friend butcher it, as it looks like a nice example.

There are a few tips for doing the suspension
If your friend would like he may contact me
If he doesn't want to contact me I suggest you get the TT back from him

Hi Mat-with-one-t.

I know it's a while since my original posting but I had a PC crash last year and once I got it up and running again I had no idea that I wasn't being informed of any postings. 

I have since found out a bit more about the OS turntable and that it is a bit of a rarity.

I was going to use the original arm and then thought I'd use a Grace arm that I have packed away but I would prefer to stay with an arm of the era and I recently purchase an Acos HGP39 (also known as the "black shadow") which is in great condition.

It's the speakers that got me interested. Your's are a copy of the original Wharfedale "Column 8" which used the model 8/145, 8" full range driver. the were installed in a black cloth sock to minimise the amount of dust settling on the driver. Unfortunately, when the drivers died or became faulty, people would just rip them out, throw the socks away and fit Super 8's which looked the same and most likely sounded pretty much the same. I have a genuine pair imported from the UK in the early 60's. I found them on a guy's veranda 2 years ago and they look like they were ready for the tip. He insisted on taking only $40.00 for them which I agreed to immediately and when I got them home, the drivers had been replaced with some cheap Pioneer drivers.

They have now been fully restored and have rebuilt Super 8's in them. They don't go very low but they do sound nice. By the way on the originals, the top section (approx. 4" high) is removable so that you can access the driver easily. Refer to the attached pics. You'll notice a similar one in the background. These were made in Brisbane in 1962 but I recently moved them on to pay for other projects.

Originals or not, if I were you, I would not be letting them go any time soon.

Cheers,

Andre

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

4 hours ago, AvSat44 said:

Hi Mat-with-one-t.

I know it's a while since my original posting but I had a PC crash last year and once I got it up and running again I had no idea that I wasn't being informed of any postings. 

I have since found out a bit more about the OS turntable and that it is a bit of a rarity.

I was going to use the original arm and then thought I'd use a Grace arm that I have packed away but I would prefer to stay with an arm of the era and I recently purchase an Acos HGP39 (also known as the "black shadow") which is in great condition.

It's the speakers that got me interested. Your's are a copy of the original Wharfedale "Column 8" which used the model 8/145, 8" full range driver. the were installed in a black cloth sock to minimise the amount of dust settling on the driver. Unfortunately, when the drivers died or became faulty, people would just rip them out, throw the socks away and fit Super 8's which looked the same and most likely sounded pretty much the same. I have a genuine pair imported from the UK in the early 60's. I found them on a guy's veranda 2 years ago and they look like they were ready for the tip. He insisted on taking only $40.00 for them which I agreed to immediately and when I got them home, the drivers had been replaced with some cheap Pioneer drivers.

They have now been fully restored and have rebuilt Super 8's in them. They don't go very low but they do sound nice. By the way on the originals, the top section (approx. 4" high) is removable so that you can access the driver easily. Refer to the attached pics. You'll notice a similar one in the background. These were made in Brisbane in 1962 but I recently moved them on to pay for other projects.

Originals or not, if I were you, I would not be letting them go any time soon.

Cheers,

Andre

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

Interesting post about the Wharfedale's Andre.  They look similar to my father-in-law's Wharfedale's, which would has the original drivers in them, and still going.  From memory, they have a woofer facing downwards. I've tried looking for info to identify them without luck.  I will compare his to your photos when I next visit. 

He would have bought them with a Silex and a four-channel amp, which is also still going (at least 2 of the 4 are going, don't know about the others).  He has them set up in a very poor acoustic area so I can't get an idea of the quality of them, or how good the speakers are today, he listens to the football on them.  The Silex went years ago, he had a record-player turntable attached but the motor's siezed.