Sign in to follow this  
AvSat44

Orpheus Silex Turntable

I like it

What are you using for the motor spider suspension 

I use eye dropper rubbers which work a treat, but more alternatives are always good. 

Thanks 

Col 

Hi Colin. Yes the droppers are a good solution however during the rebuild I noticed they were starting to perish. At my workplace, a printing company, I spied a box of rubber suckers used on folding/finishing machinery. I fitted these face to face in pairs and seem to be perfect for the job. These are available from Birk and Blyme , clear blue Heidelberg bellows suckers. Half the fun for me with the Silex is the opportunity to experiment and tinker, hence my original post.  The original soft grommets on the motor are also on the way out. Speargun tube? Any suggestions. Thanks

I'm having rattling noise issue when the turntable is running. I think I narrow it down to the iddler wheel. I reckon the belt is not giving enough tensions that causes this rattle. Anyone have experienced the same?

Do you have a spring on the idler carrier arm? This mod seemed to tighten up the overall sound.

There's no spring in my running ones but there are springs on my spare motor

20200402_111200_HDR.jpg

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, silex said:

Hi Colin. Yes the droppers are a good solution however during the rebuild I noticed they were starting to perish. At my workplace, a printing company, I spied a box of rubber suckers used on folding/finishing machinery. I fitted these face to face in pairs and seem to be perfect for the job. These are available from Birk and Blyme , clear blue Heidelberg bellows suckers. Half the fun for me with the Silex is the opportunity to experiment and tinker, hence my original post.  The original soft grommets on the motor are also on the way out. Speargun tube? Any suggestions. Thanks

I use a harder grommet than original and they work fine. 

As we find out its the motor  spider (cradle) that needs to be well isolated.

I wonder about these sorbothane spheres as I tried similar and still had residual hum sneeking through. 

Thanks for the tip on the eye dropper alternative. 

The rubbers I used have not perished, they are probably neoprene. Yours were probably rubber .

That rattle that is mentioned is probably due to bad cradle rubbers. 

Edited by Colin Rutter
Spelling

20 hours ago, silex said:

Hi all. I decided to give my Silex a new plinth, mainly to give a bit of protection around the new arm and also to fill in my time. At the moment I just have temporary spacers made up from layers of cork and hardwood ply. The result is surprisingly ok but I know there’s plenty of room for experiment and improvement. There’s plenty of opinion on the web but I don’t see anything definitive for my situation.  Should I be linking the layers for mass, isolating using Sorbothane, spikes or vibracones for feet, so many variables and many that are to expensive in this climate. Let me know what you think.

22E6D14A-41D4-41EF-B75C-6402EACCB105.jpeg

8C2EA48F-7E34-4A13-B6FE-0F785E31DEF0.jpeg

F6E9C1AC-CE36-4308-8823-075FD5EBE766.jpeg

Would you have made a template for the plinth?  I have two of these (one damaged) that is on the list of projects and covid 19 is presented plenty of time although no money.  At least my speakers are almost to the finishing stage and the passive pre has all the items purchased :-).  The 3rd LP12 needs a lid which will have to wait.