Orpheus Silex Turntable

22 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Keep me in mind if you do. ?

I'm dying to get my hands on one so I can try to solve the isolation rubbers issue and make them available to other owners.

22 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Keep me in mind if you do. ?

I'm dying to get my hands on one so I can try to solve the isolation rubbers issue and make them available to other owners.

Sing out if such a solution is found!  

8777FF2A-AFA5-4A9F-A17B-F2BB9801D9D8.jpeg

• Like 1

I thought the isolation rubber issue has been resolved long time ago. All you need is sorbothane sheets cut out coin sized pieces and use a hole puncher for the screw.

Anyway looks like there is no starter or running caps on my motor. Anybody know should I put one if yes what's the size?

The capacitor* is fitted to  quieten noise from the turn on/off  switching process. It should be replaced with an X2 style metallised polypropylene capacitor and adding a 100 to 220 ohm series resistor will form a suppressor network. This combination should be fitted as close as possible to the switch and insulated with  heatshrink.    

* Any value between 10nF to 100nF will do.

Edited by VanArn
addition.
  • Like 2

The spider (for the platter) suspension is not that critical
What is critical is the motor suspension rubbers
A fellow OS chap in Tas worked out a fabulous solution using the bulbs out of eye droppers
I obtained mine from an essential oil place
I have just finished my 3rd OS and they work a treat
It is the only solution that works perfectly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen the underside of this  very early model Orpheus turntable with the fully cast baseplate, but I suspect it has the suspended  three legged spindle support bracket; however it does not allow the arm to be coupled directly to this bracket in the manner of the later Silex model.  

Nice buy.  I love the 3rd party tonearm lift (can't recall the make).  I recommend discarding the DustBug ASAP!

The square turntable model was the first version, and was known as the Orpheus.

The Orpheus Silex was the latter version with the tonearm suspended from the mushroom support. 

On 20/11/2018 at 4:24 PM, audiofeline said:

Nice buy.  I love the 3rd party tonearm lift (can't recall the make).  I recommend discarding the DustBug ASAP!

The square turntable model was the first version, and was known as the Orpheus.

The Orpheus Silex was the latter version with the tonearm suspended from the mushroom support. 

DSC_3341.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey t_mike, I gave it away to a friend today, I was hoping it would end up in the hands of someone who digs it. My friend is going to give it some TLC, but if he looses interest, I will get in touch here.

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what it would be worth! 

• 2 months later...

Hi Mat-with-one-t.

I know it's a while since my original posting but I had a PC crash last year and once I got it up and running again I had no idea that I wasn't being informed of any postings. 

I have since found out a bit more about the OS turntable and that it is a bit of a rarity.

I was going to use the original arm and then thought I'd use a Grace arm that I have packed away but I would prefer to stay with an arm of the era and I recently purchase an Acos HGP39 (also known as the "black shadow") which is in great condition.

It's the speakers that got me interested. Your's are a copy of the original Wharfedale "Column 8" which used the model 8/145, 8" full range driver. the were installed in a black cloth sock to minimise the amount of dust settling on the driver. Unfortunately, when the drivers died or became faulty, people would just rip them out, throw the socks away and fit Super 8's which looked the same and most likely sounded pretty much the same. I have a genuine pair imported from the UK in the early 60's. I found them on a guy's veranda 2 years ago and they look like they were ready for the tip. He insisted on taking only $40.00 for them which I agreed to immediately and when I got them home, the drivers had been replaced with some cheap Pioneer drivers.

They have now been fully restored and have rebuilt Super 8's in them. They don't go very low but they do sound nice. By the way on the originals, the top section (approx. 4" high) is removable so that you can access the driver easily. Refer to the attached pics. You'll notice a similar one in the background. These were made in Brisbane in 1962 but I recently moved them on to pay for other projects.

Originals or not, if I were you, I would not be letting them go any time soon.

Cheers,

Andre

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

4 hours ago, AvSat44 said:

Hi Mat-with-one-t.

I know it's a while since my original posting but I had a PC crash last year and once I got it up and running again I had no idea that I wasn't being informed of any postings. 

I have since found out a bit more about the OS turntable and that it is a bit of a rarity.

I was going to use the original arm and then thought I'd use a Grace arm that I have packed away but I would prefer to stay with an arm of the era and I recently purchase an Acos HGP39 (also known as the "black shadow") which is in great condition.

It's the speakers that got me interested. Your's are a copy of the original Wharfedale "Column 8" which used the model 8/145, 8" full range driver. the were installed in a black cloth sock to minimise the amount of dust settling on the driver. Unfortunately, when the drivers died or became faulty, people would just rip them out, throw the socks away and fit Super 8's which looked the same and most likely sounded pretty much the same. I have a genuine pair imported from the UK in the early 60's. I found them on a guy's veranda 2 years ago and they look like they were ready for the tip. He insisted on taking only $40.00 for them which I agreed to immediately and when I got them home, the drivers had been replaced with some cheap Pioneer drivers.

They have now been fully restored and have rebuilt Super 8's in them. They don't go very low but they do sound nice. By the way on the originals, the top section (approx. 4" high) is removable so that you can access the driver easily. Refer to the attached pics. You'll notice a similar one in the background. These were made in Brisbane in 1962 but I recently moved them on to pay for other projects.

Originals or not, if I were you, I would not be letting them go any time soon.

Cheers,

Andre

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

Interesting post about the Wharfedale's Andre.  They look similar to my father-in-law's Wharfedale's, which would has the original drivers in them, and still going.  From memory, they have a woofer facing downwards. I've tried looking for info to identify them without luck.  I will compare his to your photos when I next visit. 

He would have bought them with a Silex and a four-channel amp, which is also still going (at least 2 of the 4 are going, don't know about the others).  He has them set up in a very poor acoustic area so I can't get an idea of the quality of them, or how good the speakers are today, he listens to the football on them.  The Silex went years ago, he had a record-player turntable attached but the motor's siezed. 

• 11 months later...

Hi all. I decided to give my Silex a new plinth, mainly to give a bit of protection around the new arm and also to fill in my time. At the moment I just have temporary spacers made up from layers of cork and hardwood ply. The result is surprisingly ok but I know there’s plenty of room for experiment and improvement. There’s plenty of opinion on the web but I don’t see anything definitive for my situation.  Should I be linking the layers for mass, isolating using Sorbothane, spikes or vibracones for feet, so many variables and many that are to expensive in this climate. Let me know what you think.

22E6D14A-41D4-41EF-B75C-6402EACCB105.jpeg

8C2EA48F-7E34-4A13-B6FE-0F785E31DEF0.jpeg

F6E9C1AC-CE36-4308-8823-075FD5EBE766.jpeg

• Like 5