Quark's latest room build

Thanks for the progress photos. Looking good.

A few questions about the insulation please:

• What's the 48Kg/m3 polyester you're using?
  • Where did you purchase it?
  • What are it's dimensions per unit?
  • What's it like to work with?

I'm just recycling my OZTS 130" scope, but would like to see your system once the build is finished.

Sort of finished but now Reno on bedroom to try make more room to fit Epitomes so theatre full of bedroom stuff !![emoji22]
I played a bit of master and commander at reference to the carpenter ,should of seen the smile on his face !!priceless
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, br0d0 said:

Thanks for the progress photos. Looking good.

A few questions about the insulation please:

• What's the 48Kg/m3 polyester you're using?
  • Where did you purchase it?
  • What are it's dimensions per unit?
  • What's it like to work with?

See link here for details.

I used the 50mm thickness. For 90mm walls you may need to take some off the second layer to avoid pushing out unreinforced plaster on an adjoining wall.

It's not itchy. Not easy to cut - the carpenters used a stanley knife - I preferred a sharp saw and h/duty scissors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

See link here for details.

I used the 50mm thickness. For 90mm walls you may need to take some off the second layer to avoid pushing out unreinforced plaster on an adjoining wall.

It's not itchy. Not easy to cut - the carpenters used a stanley knife - I preferred a sharp saw and h/duty scissors.

Ah yeah, I've seen that stuff at that site and thought it might work. It looks like it would be good to put on, or behind, a screen wall to me. Or on a baffle wall around the speakers even.

Edited by br0d0
  • Like 1

Some photos of the brush strips fitted to the back of the doors that sit inside the cavity to help with isolation. Also photos of the brush strips mounted at the top of the door opening for isolation.

Brush strips back of door detail.jpg

Brush strips back of door.jpg

Brush seals at top of doors.jpg

Brush seals at top of doors.jpg

• Like 1

The left wall and doors from inside the room. Realised later I hadn't closed the doors fully (they're a bit stiff with all the brush seals) - they do close quite snugly.

Left wall doors closed.jpg

The projector, A-lens and slide will sit on a shelf. Added some reinforcing to tie into the studs and lintel above the back window - shelf will mount to this. That's my work, don't blame the carpenters for the rough job - they did a nice job of plastering over the evidence.

Reinforcing for projector shelf.jpg

Next steps are to:

1. Paint (Haymes Chocolate Castlegate)
  2. Complete surround and in-ceiling speaker wiring
  3. Install surround and in-ceiling speakers
  4. Run HDMI cable in conduit through roof space (it's been run in-wall, just sitting in roof for now)
  5. Complete and mount projector shelf
  6. Source new carpet and underlay

The seating was delivered a month ago - bought a 5 seater version of these in chocolate (manual recline, not electric (although the electric version was very smooth and quiet). Quality seems good for the price.

John from Aranmar Acoustics is building a new cabinet after Mrs Q grabbed my old one for her TV room.

Edited by Quark
Fixed colour name
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Next steps are to:

1. Paint (Haymes Chocolate)
  2. Complete surround and in-ceiling speaker wiring
  3. Install surround and in-ceiling speakers
  4. Run HDMI cable in conduit through roof space (it's been run in-wall, just sitting in roof for now)
  5. Complete and mount projector shelf
  6. Source new carpet and underlay

The seating was delivered a month ago - bought a 5 seater version of these in chocolate (manual recline, not electric (although the electric version was very smooth and quiet). Quality seems good for the price.

John from Aranmar Acoustics is building a new cabinet after Mrs Q grabbed my old one for her TV room.

We chose a chocolate coloured paint, went the matt finish.  It doesn't reflect as much light as a satin finish, but is easier to mark.  We also went white for the cornice work to break it up.

What surrounds and in-ceiling speakers are you going with?

John does great work, awesome joins!  I had my cabinet built by him after your recommendation, so no surprise you're turning to him again!

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

We chose a chocolate coloured paint, went the matt finish.  It doesn't reflect as much light as a satin finish, but is easier to mark.  We also went white for the cornice work to break it up.

What surrounds and in-ceiling speakers are you going with?

John does great work, awesome joins!  I had my cabinet built by him after your recommendation, so no surprise you're turning to him again!

Yes, I'll be going with a matt finish on the walls, but may go with a semigloss on architraves and skirting (might keep the existing off white colour).

I'm using Krix Dynamix on-wall surrounds and Krix Atmospherix AS in-ceiling.

Yes, John is the man - he does great work!

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Quark said:

Yes, I'll be going with a matt finish on the walls, but may go with a semigloss on architraves and skirting (might keep the existing off white colour).

I'm using Krix Dynamix on-wall surrounds and Krix Atmospherix AS in-ceiling.

Yes, John is the man - he does great work!

How do you like the Krix Atmospherix AS in-ceiling speakers? I can get them 10% off RRP atm so am thinking of grabbing some. Or the A20s. Not sure if there's better deals on Krix though.

Edited by br0d0

2 hours ago, br0d0 said:

How do you like the Krix Atmospherix AS in-ceiling speakers? I can get them 10% off RRP atm so am thinking of grabbing some. Or the A20s. Not sure if there's better deals on Krix though.

I went with both the AS and AS20, for the price and the fact they are completed with an integrated back box they are a no brainer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, br0d0 said:

I haven't installed them yet - have relied on feedback and specs. In particular, I wanted in-ceilings with a closed back - having done presentations in commercial meeting rooms where the in-ceilings rattled with debris and/or dead insects that had fallen on the cones, this was a non-negotiable for me. I got mine during Selby's 15% Easter sale.

• Like 1

John Woodhead at Aranmar Acoustics sent through a photo of the cabinet under construction - still to be stained and lacquered. The end finish will match my Osborn LCR speakers (gloss bubinga).

While the gloss may reflect a little light for HT purposes, it wasn't a problem in the last room and does make for decent looking furniture.

P1011610.jpg

• Like 3

I've slowly been painting the room - progress has been slow as a few other things going on at present. A few photos below - flash has caused a few reflections of the speakers etc.

FYI I had a sheet of Fyrchek left over from the build (16mm x 3000mm x 1200mm) - free to good home - see here.

Back wall painted.jpg

Left wall painted 1.jpg

Screen wall painted 1.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

Hang on. Let's go back a step...

You moved!?

Yep, the large garden and general maintenance at the last place was becoming too much in my dotage. We had a long term plan to downsize (land) and did well to sell at the top of the market. Now out at Pakenham - block is more manageable at 1000m2, house is only 8 years old (but much the same size as the previous one).  There's a bit to do to get it to how we want it, but then it will be much lower maintenance.

Are you visiting down south any time soon?

A couple of piccies of the new place below.

Pakenham main.jpg

Pakenham image2.jpg

Pakenham image18.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Looking good quark ,don't get any paint drops on those Osborns !!

Thanks mate - doing my best to protect them. Had the towers in bubble-wrap and cardboard while the carpenters were working, but had to unwrap them to move around for painting.

10 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Looking Good Quark ,

You are only an hours drive from me in Korumburra , Would love to see your set up once finished.

Good Luck Mate ,

Thanks - you're welcome to pay a visit when I've got it sorted.