Speaker Cable ?

Hi all, seeking some sage advice. My builder has had his electrician place two runs of Pro 4 Core 16awg speaker cable in my walls for a pair of Q Acoustics Concepts 20s speakers which I will wall mount in our new room? I'm confused! how do I sort out 4 cables into two terminals - twist them together? Or are I am better off dragging them out and placing some regular two channel cables in? For example: Chord Clearway or Van den Hul Clearwater? Much thanks in anticipation, Michael

Surely if he has two runs of speaker cable, each run, or pair of wires, is for connection to the two terminals on each speaker.

I'm currently waiting for 10 awg cable to arrive to upgrade the speakers cabling of my four home sound systems.

Edited by lloyd_borrett

You could double them up, take two (opposing) cores each for the terminals. If it's a twisted quad, then just continue this to a twisted pair before terminating. Assuming this is for a/v - surround, I don't think you'd need to replace or upgrade. 

• Like 1

Guest Hensa

The Concept 20 is a bi-wire speaker so there are four terminals on each speaker. Just make sure you connect the two + cables to the two + terminals and ditto for '-' cables to '-' terminals. I assume that at the amp end, there a wall plate providing just two connectors per channel.

Thanks @Hensa @Krispy Audio @lloyd_borrett  I think I understand some options. Good enough cable for the Cambridge audio 650a to the Q Acoustics - just for streaming music in the living room? So the Chord or Van Den Hul probably not necessary? I'll ask the friendly local guru @ophool who lives just around the corner for assistance if need be! 

Edited by SPR08Y

yup, and I think there would also be a setting you have to adjust On your amp, they call it bi-amp or as above bi-wire settings. and as Hensa said if there are only 2 sets of connectors you might have to get that changed to 4 sets of connectors. otherwise if you want to go standard connection (non bi-wire-bi/amp) then just standard speaker cable and there should be a little connector on the back of the speakers connecting the two sets of terminals.

As far as twisting the 2 sets together, someone else may have to help. I think it does something with ohm loading on your amp??? 

This is really simple-if your amp has only one set of terminals for each L&R SPK pair connect 2 cores to the + and 2 to - amp terminals for say L channel. Then a single + core to each of the + terminals on the spk and the same for - the wires should be colour coded. If you dont wish to BI - WIRE  (may even sound better if you dont - small difference ) fit the links to upper and lower + terminals and - ones on each spk (no links ? use some 1mm solid wire) to do this use only a single core on all Amp and Spk terminals leaving the other 2 cores in each run unconnected. Better to Amp to the lower Bass  Spk terminals than the upper Tweeter ones.

Edited by Richard Tremain
extra information
  • Like 1