Jump to content

Snoopy8

Adding Amp to Get 5.1.4 Atmos

Recommended Posts

Friend purchased a new NAD T758 V3 AVR. The T758 has 7 in-built amps which will allow for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.  Friend is thinking of making it 5.1.4 by getting a very cheap  (eBay!) amp to drive 1 set of the height speakers.  I have suggested getting a  good 5/6 channel amp to drive the 4 height speakers, ensuring that they are using the same amp.  But budget is tight (spent much more than anticipated for AVR) and made worse by the lack of space for any large amp.  Questions:

  • Is anyone using different amps to drive different sets of height speakers, and can you hear any difference because they were driven by different amps?
  • Any suggestions for small  (the smaller the better) footprint, low cost reasonable (?) amp with 2 channels, or 4-6 channels?

 

p/s don't have Atmos yet, still on 5.1 ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Friend purchased a new NAD T758 V3 AVR. The T758 has 7 in-built amps which will allow for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.  Friend is thinking of making it 5.1.4 by getting a very cheap  (eBay!) amp to drive 1 set of the height speakers. 

  • Any suggestions for small  (the smaller the better) footprint, low cost reasonable (?) amp with 2 channels, or 4-6 channels?

Switchable voltage ;small ;2/4 ch and a choice of w/channel Snoopy :cool:

 http://www.classdaudio.com/cda-series-amplifiers/cda-120c-class-d-audio-amplifier/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

 

  • Any suggestions for small  (the smaller the better) footprint, low cost reasonable (?) amp with 2 channels, or 4-6 channels?

Look at the Emotiva entry range. Quite cheap 

A300 - 2 channel 150x2

A500 - 5 channel 110x5

A700 - 7 channel 110x7

 

Small form factor and available locally. I run the larger XPA 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
10 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:
  • Is anyone using different amps to drive different sets of height speakers, and can you hear any difference because they were driven by different amps?
  • Any suggestions for small  (the smaller the better) footprint, low cost reasonable (?) amp with 2 channels, or 4-6 channels?

just want to make the point, I dont know where people come under the impression(ive seen it about) that heights non consequential and some basic thing will do. I understand peoples budgets and limitations but I will say way 3D audio works the heights actually work in WITH the rest of speakers to pin point sounds in space so play quite an important role. its not just "ambience" ...style surrounds eg was the case with early days of prologic ! we have moved on quite a bit. we now have a full surround sound field audio mixes are working to recreate :)

 

rather than err to wards cheap small low costs. id just go older if budget doesnt permit. eg old rotel 1066 6 ch amp is a beauty.... and low profile and quite good quality 100s would buy one and still be in good nick. 

 

nad and amc are another that have multi channel amps wont break the bank. same with emotiva above quoted go second hand and will buy some decent stuff still at low price rather than buying lower quality-low cost new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, :) al said:

just want to make the point, I dont know where people come under the impression(ive seen it about) that heights non consequential and some basic thing will do. I understand peoples budgets and limitations but I will say way 3D audio works the heights actually work in WITH the rest of speakers to pin point sounds in space so play quite an important role. its not just "ambience" ...style surrounds eg was the case with early days of prologic ! we have moved on quite a bit. we now have a full surround sound field audio mixes are working to recreate :)

Fully agree!  I hear it far too often from beginners that they are only effects speakers, so spend the least amount on them... :shocked:   They then blow up the budget on the AVR and mains, sub and don't leave enough for  the rest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Fully agree!  I hear it far too often from beginners that they are only effects speakers, so spend the least amount on them... :shocked:   They then blow up the budget on the AVR and mains, sub and don't leave enough for  the rest.  

Indeed ; just mention[you are probably aware] that the 758v3 has restrictions on what channels a say 5ch power amp can drive Snoopy . A 5ch amp can drive the L/C/R and 1 pair of the ceilings ;a 7ch can add the back ceilings too ; which makes an A700 a good fit if affordable for him. The built in 60w/ch amps cant drive both sets of ceilings which helps with choosing the power amp :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Friend purchased a new NAD T758 V3 AVR. The T758 has 7 in-built amps which will allow for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.  Friend is thinking of making it 5.1.4 by getting a very cheap  (eBay!) amp to drive 1 set of the height speakers. 

Oh dear, should have checked before I posted this.   😕  Friend is mistaken - the T758 can only do 5.1.2 Atmos, NOT 5.1.4   So adding an amp is irrelevant.

 

Thank you to all who posted here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Oh dear, should have checked before I posted this.   😕  Friend is mistaken - the T758 can only do 5.1.2 Atmos, NOT 5.1.4   So adding an amp is irrelevant.

 

Thank you to all who posted here...

Snoop ;its ok ' the 758v3 can do 5.1.4 with an extra 2ch power amp hanging of its mdc cards pre outs . The back panel is not very logically set out ; being based on earlier v1/v2 versions which didn't have atmos/dts-x  :winky: As mentioned with a 7ch power it can do 7.1.4 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, cwt said:

Snoop ;its ok ' the 758v3 can do 5.1.4 with an extra 2ch power amp hanging of its mdc cards pre outs . The back panel is not very logically set out ; being based on earlier v1/v2 versions which didn't have atmos/dts-x  :winky: As mentioned with a 7ch power it can do 7.1.4 

Oh?   Sorry, I do not have unit and friend is not within driving distance!  Is the diagram wrong in the manual because it is referring to earlier version?  Where do I find the info that you have posted that I can refer friend to? 

2 hours ago, cwt said:

Indeed ; just mention[you are probably aware] that the 758v3 has restrictions on what channels a say 5ch power amp can drive Snoopy . A 5ch amp can drive the L/C/R and 1 pair of the ceilings ;a 7ch can add the back ceilings too ; which makes an A700 a good fit if affordable for him. The built in 60w/ch amps cant drive both sets of ceilings which helps with choosing the power amp :) 

With a A700, it can drive L/C/R + 4 ceilings.  And the backs remain driven by the 758v3.  Where do I find info on the restrictions? 

 

For my own interest, can the 758v3 L/C/R  be driven by 9 channel amp (or a 3 + 6 channel amp)?  If so, 758v3 would make for a cheap prepro with Dirac. 

 

** Which is the reference?  (this is confusing!)

https://nadelectronics.com/product/am-230-dolby-atmos-mdc-module/

https://nadelectronics.com/product/vm130-4k-video-mdc/

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Oh?   Sorry, I do not have unit and friend is not within driving distance!  Is the diagram wrong in the manual because it is referring to earlier version?  Where do I find the info that you have posted that I can refer friend to? 

With a A700, it can drive L/C/R + 4 ceilings.  And the backs remain driven by the 758v3.  Where do I find info on the restrictions? 

 

For my own interest, can the 758v3 L/C/R  be driven by 9 channel amp (or a 3 + 6 channel amp)?  If so, 758v3 would make for a cheap prepro with Dirac. 

 

** Is this the reference?

https://nadelectronics.com/product/am-230-dolby-atmos-mdc-module/

Any info I can add comes from general research from avs forum and av forums Snoopy as Ime upgrading too ; heres the UK thread https://www.avforums.com/threads/nad-t758v3-dolby-atmos-7-1-4-dirac-live.2111763/page-18

Yes discrepancies everywhere as you can imagine due to the many NAD models including previous ones with slot in modules ;)

 

As a rule the arcams and nads are not conducive to running 4 ceilings with their internal amps with the 7.1 preouts feeding a 7ch power amp and lfe. The upper level  Marantz/Denons have more configurability ; letting your power amp run the 7 bed channels ;which is more logical . .

That am230 gives the ''new" 777v3 and 758v3 the pre outs for the 4 ceilings . Actually the 758v3 has a hybrid version as it doesn't have a separate hdmi card like the 777. Yes you can add a 9ch or even a 11ch amp to give 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 respectively . Some as you will read have ditched exxy Arcam 550/850's [and I can understand why], So when you add the 7ch with the NAD it powers the L/C/R and the 4 ceilings. At least that helps the internal ones and NAD watts are underspecified thankfully :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cwt said:

That am230 gives the ''new" 777v3 and 758v3 the pre outs for the 4 ceilings . Actually the 758v3 has a hybrid version as it doesn't have a separate hdmi card like the 777. Yes you can add a 9ch or even a 11ch amp to give 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 respectively . Some as you will read have ditched exxy Arcam 550/850's [and I can understand why], So when you add the 7ch with the NAD it powers the L/C/R and the 4 ceilings. At least that helps the internal ones and NAD watts are underspecified thankfully :blush:

So does my friend (now very confused with my poor advice!) with the T758v3 need to buy the am230 or does it come with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

So does my friend (now very confused with my poor advice!) with the T758v3 need to buy the am230 or does it come with it?

Answered my own question by going thru the AVS thread.  The hybrid board on the T568v3 does have the am230.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

So does my friend (now very confused with my poor advice!) with the T758v3 need to buy the am230 or does it come with it?

It comes with it ; its the module holding the 3 HDMI's ; usb dongle for the dirac wifi service ; sp difs and height pre outs for the ceiling speakers - on the far left of the back panel :)

Theres actually 2 versions out there o;seas ; nads very proactive ; theres some speculation that a few batches of the card may exhibit noise/ low level hiss so they've rejigged where usb and hdmi are placed. Best to try 1st though .. 

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=2407712&stc=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×