Hello from Melbourne

Been a member for many years, but first time poster!  Have a bit more time now to search and read various topics. 

Currently experimenting with the room acoustic in a new music/ listening room. Surprising how much small changes in placement of polyester batts made to the music reproduction. In March, installed base Michael Green  “room tune” products, but still mucking around with a few of the batts. 

I had different systems in various rooms in previous home. These included Linn/ Naim systems with Isobariks, Quad ESL 57s with Leak St20, Quad 11s, Melody, Naim 250.

Only one system currently set up in new place - Linn LP 12, Naim CDS3/ XP2, and McIntosh Tuner as sources: Passive Pre using Dave Slagle autoformers, VTL Ultimate Preamplifier for phono stage, Audion Silver Night SET 300B Monoblocks and Quad ESL 2057 ( “modernised” 57s!?) speakers. Enjoying the Music!

Thanks

Thanks Ooogh, the Audions are the later black and chrome ones. I like the older ones too, but they are harder to come by now!

I only use the phono stage of the VTL Ultimate pre when I use turntable as the Audions have their own volume control. I now plug the CD player directly into the Audions when playing CDs

12 hours ago, vivianbl said:

Thanks Ooogh, the Audions are the later black and chrome ones. I like the older ones too, but they are harder to come by now!

I only use the phono stage of the VTL Ultimate pre when I use turntable as the Audions have their own volume control. I now plug the CD player directly into the Audions when playing CDs

Just as I used my Audions for many years, such a handy feature having the passive pots. I am fortunate enough to have an AudioNote M5 (ancient) in front of the Audions now and feel it gives an even greater result. Have you found the opposite when using the VTL line stage into the Audions? An interesting proposition as one is currently for sale in the classifieds and has piqued my interest.

Hopefully one day an Audion preamp will show up for sale second hand, never seems to happen! Would love to hear just what that would bring to the table.

• Like 1

Just as I used my Audions for many years, such a handy feature having the passive pots. I am fortunate enough to have an AudioNote M5 (ancient) in front of the Audions now and feel it gives an even greater result. Have you found the opposite when using the VTL line stage into the Audions? An interesting proposition as one is currently for sale in the classifieds and has piqued my interest.

Hopefully one day an Audion preamp will show up for sale second hand, never seems to happen! Would love to hear just what that would bring to the table.

I haven’t tried the VTL Ultimate line stage into the Audions. I had the interconnects on the record out when I was using the MC phono stage into a dual line autoformer as a switch and volume control into my -Leak Stereo 20 -and kept it there when I changed over.
But the line stage was excellent when I used it as a pre with the Leak recently and some time back with another amplifier. Not sure my dynavector mc cartridge will have sufficient gain, but will give it a try some time.

BTW, I did see the VTL Ultimate in the classified.
What Audions are you using now?
  • Like 1

Hi vinianbl,

I owned the original PSE Silver Night Monoblocks for many, many years, possibly the first pair in Australia, unfortunately stolen. I now have the original push pull 300B Silver Night Monobocks.

Obviously a slightly different presentation. Where the PSE have a glowing beauty in the sound the push pull are more dynamic with better push and punch in the bass. Nothing I have ever heard however comes close to what the PSE does with vocals, absolutely world class, dense, full, beautiful and emotive. They have an uncanny ability to push the singer forward of the speaker plane, standing proud in front of the band. I would grab another pair in an instant but they never, never ,show up second hand. Spent years looking for a local pair.

The Golden Nights, single 300B per channel ,are more pure again but need hyper sensitive speakers, found them lacking grunt even with Klipsch Corner Horns. With a friends 4 way concrete horns of insane efficiency however they were sublime.

Wonderful amplifiers.

• Like 1

Hi vinianbl,

I owned the original PSE Silver Night Monoblocks for many, many years, possibly the first pair in Australia, unfortunately stolen. I now have the original push pull 300B Silver Night Monobocks.

Obviously a slightly different presentation. Where the PSE have a glowing beauty in the sound the push pull are more dynamic with better push and punch in the bass. Nothing I have ever heard however comes close to what the PSE does with vocals, absolutely world class, dense, full, beautiful and emotive. They have an uncanny ability to push the singer forward of the speaker plane, standing proud in front of the band. I would grab another pair in an instant but they never, never ,show up second hand. Spent years looking for a local pair.

The Golden Nights, single 300B per channel ,are more pure again but need hyper sensitive speakers, found them lacking grunt even with Klipsch Corner Horns. With a friends 4 way concrete horns of insane efficiency however they were sublime.

Wonderful amplifiers.

Hi Ooogh,
I was fortunate in my search as I got my pair second hand, but with brand new 300B valves. Took the valves quite a while to open up though!

The Silver Night PSE sound is as you described, but in my room and system set up, the image is a metre behind the line of the speakers and extends behind from there. The speakers are placed close to the side walls, so I can look at the stage and see the performance!

I am used to a transparent and dynamic presentation and was initially wondering if I had made the right decision to go with the PSE! The transparency, dynamics and bass punch was missing at the start, but as the valves opened up and some tinkering with the acoustic treatment in the room I’m now getting very deep and tight bass- probably not as “ punchy”, as you say- the dynamics now are quite good, but with a sense of ease and detail. Orchestral works and opera have that weight and scale presented with such ease. Very captivating [emoji2]

However, Not having heard the push pull version of these, I probably don’t know what I’m missing! [emoji6]

36 minutes ago, vivianbl said:

Hi Ooogh,
I was fortunate in my search as I got my pair second hand, but with brand new 300B valves. Took the valves quite a while to open up though!

The Silver Night PSE sound is as you described, but in my room and system set up, the image is a metre behind the line of the speakers and extends behind from there. The speakers are placed close to the side walls, so I can look at the stage and see the performance!

I am used to a transparent and dynamic presentation and was initially wondering if I had made the right decision to go with the PSE! The transparency, dynamics and bass punch was missing at the start, but as the valves opened up and some tinkering with the acoustic treatment in the room I’m now getting very deep and tight bass- probably not as “ punchy”, as you say- the dynamics now are quite good, but with a sense of ease and detail. Orchestral works and opera have that weight and scale presented with such ease. Very captivating emoji2.png

However, Not having heard the push pull version of these, I probably don’t know what I’m missing! emoji6.png

Don't worry vivianbl, I would happily swap the push pull for the PSE. They have an absolute magic about them, riveting, beautiful, natural. Nothing wrong with the bass on the PSE, wonderful with bongos and such, captures the skin and vessel wonderfully. Only looses out on a bit of snap, attack and punch. Swings and roundabouts.

I have found the Psvane 300B Tii to be an excellent valve, quite, dynamic,reliable. Only down side is the internal coating removes the magic glow from the room. Rolling the small valves can be a revelation, NOS Tungsol for the 5687 and early Silvania or Amperex for the 6dj8 / 6922.  The new models however have changed the input / driver valves to some strange denominations for which I can find no equivalents. CV120 or something? I might post a question elsewhere to find out what they are.

If you ever loose your mind and want to sell them......

You are a lucky man indeed to find a second hand pair, I have scoured the internet for five years!!! 

Don't worry vivianbl, I would happily swap the push pull for the PSE. They have an absolute magic about them, riveting, beautiful, natural. Nothing wrong with the bass on the PSE, wonderful with bongos and such, captures the skin and vessel wonderfully. Only looses out on a bit of snap, attack and punch. Swings and roundabouts.

I have found the Psvane 300B Tii to be an excellent valve, quite, dynamic,reliable. Only down side is the internal coating removes the magic glow from the room. Rolling the small valves can be a revelation, NOS Tungsol for the 5687 and early Silvania or Amperex for the 6dj8 / 6922.  The new models however have changed the input / driver valves to some strange denominations for which I can find no equivalents. CV120 or something? I might post a question elsewhere to find out what they are.

If you ever loose your mind and want to sell them......

You are a lucky man indeed to find a second hand pair, I have scoured the internet for five years!!! 

Great to share information with another Audion Silver Night user. May not be many of us around in OZ!

The two small valves in front on my model( 2012 build) are the same type (6H23N-EB). They appear to have a logo but no brand name-could be ones specially made for Audion. Each valve came with instructions on which one to put into specified left or right channel mono block and what socket - left or right - viewed from front. I wondered whether they were matched to particular circuitry!

Read a lot on the net about 300B valves. Confusing and often contradictory views, but interesting nevertheless. In the end it’s about matching room, amplifier, other equipment being used in the system and what your particular listening tastes are. Will look up the Psavane 300B Tii.

The new 300B valves on mine are the Shuguang 300B Black Treasure- so no glow here either![emoji853]

2 hours ago, vivianbl said:

Great to share information with another Audion Silver Night user. May not be many of us around in OZ!

The two small valves in front on my model( 2012 build) are the same type (6H23N-EB). They appear to have a logo but no brand name-could be ones specially made for Audion. Each valve came with instructions on which one to put into specified left or right channel mono block and what socket - left or right - viewed from front. I wondered whether they were matched to particular circuitry!

Read a lot on the net about 300B valves. Confusing and often contradictory views, but interesting nevertheless. In the end it’s about matching room, amplifier, other equipment being used in the system and what your particular listening tastes are. Will look up the Psavane 300B Tii.

The new 300B valves on mine are the Shuguang 300B Black Treasure- so no glow here either!emoji853.png

Hi vivianbl,

Pretty sure the 6H23N is the Russian equivalent of a 6922/ 6dj8. I have a feeling they are exactly what was being used when they were branding them as CV120's , just trying to confuse the punters. I will check with those in the know to make sure you can do a straight swap between the various types. Those Russian jobbies have quite a following though they reckon you need the ones from the seventies with the rocket logo. Those of course have now quadrupled in value. I think they stopped using a 5687 in there many moons ago. They used to specify which valve went where because there was no labelling on the amp when the input and driver valves were different.

Nothing wrong with the old black treasures, good affordable stuff that doesn't do much wrong. When you need four of them the designer brands add up to a heap of cash , worth as much as a second hand amp, you need to hope you choose the right ones!

Rock on.