Heritage of your stereo and home theater gear

Heritage of Gear  

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought it would be fun to find out the heritage of the gear of SNA members.  Poll includes both stereo and home theatre gear. 

If you are not sure of the heritage, look for your brand in Wiki and then decide whether you use original manufacturer or its existing HQ as its heritage.

Majority of my gear is proudly Australian but I do have gear from different countries.  Happy voting... :laugh:

p/s just realised I do not own Japanese gear...  My Panasonic TV is the only Japanese gear in my home theater chain, none in stereo chain

2nd p/s  easy to miss items in chain; should consider everything in stereo chain and home theater chain

Edited by Snoopy8
Added NZ, comment about Japanese, typos
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

As expected, the big 3 for stereo were British:15 American:14 Japanese:10 out of 24 votes.. Next tier was Australian:7 and Chinese:7.  I was slightly surprised that nearly 30% of you have Chinese equipment but they are growing quickly in hifi.  And it is good to learn that nearly 30% of us (including me!) have Oz gear.  ??

The Japanese dominated the home theater equipment having 9 out of 15 votes (9 people did not have HT gear).

Please keep the votes coming...

• 2 weeks later...

What do you consider as the heritage of your audio gear?  For some brands, it is not so obvious.  For example, NAD who I would consider British, but made things in China is now owned by a Canadian company.  Oppo Digital who made the Oppo players made its name in USA, has its HQ there but is Chinese owned.  And did you know that Marantz started as an American company but is now Japanese owned?

Please keep the votes coming.  Remember to consider every piece of equipment in the music chain.  And should you make a mistake, you can always re-do your votes ...

On 15/08/2018 at 10:11 PM, BATMAQN said:

I’m a bit surprised by the poor response out of nearly 148000 members 46 Have bothered to vote I guess the threads get lost as they go down the page.

Thank you for pushing this along.  Part of the problem is that new votes will not flag this topic as being updated.  Only new posts such as this can alert/remind people to vote.  

I have started a number of polls, found that only a small number will bother to vote.  Getting to 50 votes, which we just reached, takes a while. 

USA: JBL, AE, Eminence, Adire, Lambda, Mach 5, Sampson

Australia: ME, Quest, ARX, my own designs

Japan: Yamaha

Italy: B&C, Beyma, 18Sound, Faital Pro

UK: ATC

Most of the system is DIY, so most of the above brands are parts, eg speaker drivers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Added Dutch (Primaluna) to my stereo vote.

86 people have voted.  For stereo, majority have American (50) and British (45).  Rounding the top 4 are Japanese (37), Australian (32).  There is a spread votes among countries which reflect the diverse nature of 2 channel gear.

In contrast, HT is dominated by the Japanese with 37 out of 54 people (32 do not have HT gear).  Similar to 2 channel, American (16), British (17) and Australian (19) round up the top 4.

Most of my audio components are covered in the available options (Germany, US, Japan, China, South Korea) with 2 x 'others' being Brazil and Austria. It really is a bit of a mongrel dog, good thing that 'diversity' is in vogue ?

• Like 2

Hmm country of origin or where made?

does Marantz count as america or japan? 

Luxman Japan or Malaysia 

Dali count as denmark or china? 

Edited by cafe67

How to approach this?

TT: Linn - Scotland, Rega - England, Townshend - England (Max is an Aussie though) and Luxman - Japan.

Tonearm: Moth - England, Hadcock - England, Acos - Japan, Rega - Japan (Acos).

Cart: Shure - USA, AT - Japan, Nagaoka - Japan, Sansui - Japan.

Phono: Akitika USA kit but made in Aus by me, Vincent - Germany, SUT - DIY in Aus with English transformers, Pre-pre - DIY made in Aus from an American kit.

Amp: Copland - Denmark, Denon - Japan (?), DIY power and Pre Made in Aus from an American Cct.

Speakers: Castle - England, Wharfedale - England, Kef - England and Usher - Taiwan.

CD: Sony Japan and Cal Labs - USA

Streamers: Slim Devices - China(?), Logitech - China Yamaha - Japan.

International would best sum it all up.

Forgot the DAC: France - The Battery DAC.

Edited by Batty

27 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Luxman Japan or Malaysia 

I have been using country of origin.  Eg. NAD is British designed, made in China, now Canadian owned.  Hence, I ticked British...  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Luxman Japan or Malaysia 

The way I see it.

Marantz - Japan

Luxman - Japan

Dali - Denmark

;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Batty said:

How to approach this?

TT: Linn - Scotland, Rega - England, Townshend - England (Max is an Aussie though) and Luxman - Japan.

Tonearm: Moth - England, Hadcock - England, Acos - Japan, Rega - Japan (Acos).

Cart: Shure - USA, AT - Japan, Nagaoka - Japan, Sansui - Japan.

Phono: Akitika USA kit but made in Aus by me, Vincent - Germany, SUT - DIY in Aus with English transformers, Pre-pre - DIY made in Aus from an American kit.

Amp: Copland - Denmark, Denon - Japan (?), DIY power and Pre Made in Aus from an American Cct.

Speakers: Castle - England, Wharfedale - England, Kef - England and Usher - Taiwan.

CD: Sony Japan and Cal Labs - USA

Streamers: Slim Devices - China(?), Logitech - China Yamaha - Japan.

International would best sum it all up.

Then tick all the boxes !  ?