buddyev

USB cable recommendations

regarding the jitter i'm currently using an Audiophilleo to deal with that - so the Carbon is probably better as none of the articles talk about 'packet loss' due to the cable.

15 hours ago, Wimbo said:

People keep telling me Digital is getting better. From your statement, maybe it isnt.

Audio replay of all formats has improved quite a lot over the past decades.

I was interested to see if it was worth getting another USB cable then the one that comes with the Topping D10 that I've bought to see if it improves the streaming of Spotify for back ground music.

Unlikely.

Hmmm, silly me, getting involved.

What don't you like about the responses you've received? .... some recommendations for specific products, and some for product qualities (eg. short/long, cheap/expensive).

I can appreciate that the linked article might not have helped you ... but it is fair to say that what is was written in it is perfectly relevant in general to digital signal transmission today, as it was 14 years ago.... and will be in 14 years from now.

14 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Standards do. The article is about SPDIF cables and disc transports. It would be good to see a similar article with figures for USB2.0 as implemented in audio devices.

Yes, of course.... I just mean that the issues rise time, termination, length .... are just as relevant today as they were at any other time.

On 14/06/2018 at 2:31 PM, Music2496 said:

I can recommend a Supra USB cable. These are High Speed Certified (90 ohm spec) for up to 15m

It's certainly possible to make a very long USB cable with proper termination, and no hubs, etc....  and the fact that it "works" when long is a good indication of a well made cable.

.... but I have very strong doubts they are actually certified (and should not be using the logo).

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Audio replay of all formats has improved quite a lot over the past decades.

Spot on. Just don't shout it out loud in the classifieds...

On 14/06/2018 at 7:17 AM, astormsau said:

I’ve got an Audioquest Carbon I’ve been quite happy with at the $200 mark. Will try a curious when one comes up second hand in the future.

Audioquest Carbon is the sweet point from a price/performance point of view. Another good one is iFi-Audio Mercury but it is a USB 3.0 A-to-B cable and the Type B USB 3.0 termination is not backwardly compatible to USB Type B 2.0, although you can use the iFi iPurifier as a USB 3.0 Type B to USB 2.0 Type B converter. 

On 01/07/2018 at 4:14 PM, Eggcup The Daft said:

Spot on. Just don't shout it out loud in the classifieds...

I didn't upgrade my audiophile-grade digital audio gear for 18 years (blush). I can tell you from experience that an AudioQuest Dragonfly Red for $275 can outperform a circa 2000 DAC that was priced over $3000.  

You can also argue that between a 1930 48 rpm analogue shellac disc player and a 2018 vinyl player that it is all the "same" as well because analogue signal is just the same audio signal and the laws of physics never change etc.