Sign in to follow this  
Raab

Speakers + Integrated stereo amp combo for ~$2500

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice for a good budget stereo amp and floorstanding speakers combination?

I'm definitely want used equipment but that means I wont necessarily be able to try them in combination before I buy.  

Budget is ~2500

Room: 3.5m x 7m, wooden floors.

Music: Classic rock, Metal, Reggae, Electronic.

Source: Spotify (probably using Chromecast audio, unless someone recommends an amp with Spotify Connect?)

Any advice or experience people have would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hi, 

Some floor rug might be necessary, room acoustic is quite importan. 

You should auditione at least few speaker brands before buying anything. 

Cheers,

50 minutes ago, Raab said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice for a good budget stereo amp and floorstanding speakers combination?

I'm definitely want used equipment but that means I wont necessarily be able to try them in combination before I buy.  

Budget is ~2500

Room: 3.5m x 7m, wooden floors.

Music: Classic rock, Metal, Reggae, Electronic.

Source: Spotify (probably using Chromecast audio, unless someone recommends an amp with Spotify Connect?)

Audition as many speaker brand as you can from retailers. The voicing of a particular brand speaker is a personal choice. Once you have narrowed it down. Check the classified section often, be patient. Speaker will dictate what sort amp is required given the load characteristics (sensitivity, impedance load and how loud you like your music).

Some of modern integrated do have inbuilt DAC, so a Chromecast can do the job as source. Good luck and have fun along the way. 

There are endless combinations. Some suggestions although some are on wrong side of country so will need to sort postage and some self promo 😊

For amps you can get integrated amps or separate preamp and power amp combinations such as:

Yamaha AS1000 for $1200 in gumtree

Anthem 225i for $1000

Vintage 200W Yamaha P2201 power amp for $300 with a $500-800 Preamp like the Audio Research Ls8 in stereonet classified listing and other similar.

I have a 150W Vincent SV236Mk intergrated (see gumtree) for $850.

Other amp brands include Accuphase, Rotel, Musical Fidelity, Cambridge Audio, NAD etc.

For Speakers you want something that does good bass for reggae music and nice easy relaxed sound for rock metal so examples are:

Krix Esoterix Mk2 in Perth humtree for $1200.

Large floorstanders or stand mounts like Richter, Dynaudio, Kef Ref 3-4, B&W, NHT, Focal, Monitor Audio etc.

Also see Ascension Audio in Adelaide website for new speakers.

You can also use a subwoofer with large bookshelf or standmounts (refer to speaker brands above). For subs refer to brands like Velodyne, SVS, Rel, Krix etc. lessor brands brands can be quite good for little money. There is a Sunfire subwoofer in gumtree for $1k and could be matched with a $500 standmount two way speaker.

Depending how old and appearance, bare minimum you can get a used kick arse setup for maybe as low as $1000-1500, example TDL transmission line small fridge size speakers for $500-800 and NAD amp for $500.

Edited by Al.M

Thanks for the help guys I will definitely go and do some demoing. 

There's some Richter Dragon IV on gumtree ($1000) that caught my eye, but I'll go to a shop to try a few out first. 

@AI.M thanks for all the suggestions. I couldn't find your 150W Vincent SV236Mk on the tree, but its a mighty fine looking piece of kit.  

P.s....My wife will be pleased that she needs to buy some more rugs ;) 

Here’s a good speaker example for $895 on the wrong side of the country and he’s got a nice huge powerful NAD power amp. All you need is to match with a nice preamp and then well under budget to spend on several carpet rugs for room acoustics.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth/speakers/rrp-2799-kef-iq90-speakers-floorstanding-high-end-iq-90-70-50/1186489241?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

298EDE42-AB4B-4EDB-A50F-5E3A96C9F457.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Johnbro
      I have a TASS High Resolution Surround Decoder, which is currently not in use. I have a pair of Ambience speakers with smaller Mission center speakers,  a Dennon amp and CD player,  and a Parasound Power Amp, plus a rarely used sub-woofer. 
      I was thinking of reinstalling the TASS but have no idea how to wire it in (it was originally installed with rear speakers by Surya of Absolute High End. 
      Can anyone help with (simple) instructions?  P. S. I'm not in any way an expert with wiring. 
      Thanks. 
    • By Keith Raufer
      Item: ROTEL RB-1590 Stereo 350W Power Amp.
      Price: $2900.
      Item Condition: Looks new, only used for 6 months. 
      Reason for selling: Needed a 5 channel amp. 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD. 
      Extra Info: Can be delivered anywhere in Melbourne metro, otherwise posted at buyers expense  
      Need some serious power?

The Rotel RB1590 is an old school heavy, dual mono internal class A/B 350w RMS stereo power amp...
      Weighing in at nearly 40kg this amp is an absolute beast and can power any speakers with ease.

Power Configuration: 2 x 350 watts (20Hz-20kHz, <0.03%, 8 Ohms)
      THD (20-20,000Hz) 8 Ohms, all channels driven: < 0.03%
      IM Distortion: < 0.03%
      Damping Factor (8 Ohms): 300
      Input Sensitivity / Impedance: 12k ohms / 2.2V (Unbalanced); 100k ohms / 3.5V (Balanced)
      Frequency Response: 15Hz - 100kHz (+/-0.5dB)
      S/N Ratio (IHF A): 120dB
      Power Consumption: 800 watts

Standby Power Consumption: < 0.5 watts
      Dimensions (W x H x D): 431 x 237 x 454 mm
      Front Panel Height: 5U (221mm)
      Weight (net): 38.1kg

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Doomguy
      I just bought myself a new receiver, a Marantz SR7500, for my vinyl setup. It doesn't have a phono stage like my Dad's old NAD I've been using until now, so I'm after an external one. My turntable is a Technics SL-BD20 though that will likely be upgraded in the coming months. FWIW I'm just listening with headphones for now, Sennheiser HD58X, speakers will come later down the line. 

Preferably I'd like something under 200 downundeh dollars, and preferably not an import. Ones I've found include;

Schiit Mani $269 free shipping Pro-ject Phono Box $180 + shipping Rega Phono Mini A2D $149 free shipping Pro-Ject Phono Box SE ii $200 used + shipping  
      The Schiit is a bit pricier than I'd really like but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it has by far the most information / impressions out there. Which do you think would be the best choice, is there something else I should consider? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    • By blogger23
      Hi, 
      I am looking for some advice regarding my amplifier. I had bought Emotiva TA-100 amp while visiting USA a couple of years ago (still under warranty). Recently I noticed that it is producing static noise. I unplugged everything except power and speaker cable and have replaced the power and speaker cables but I can still hear the noise if I am close enough to the speaker (Maybe 1 feet away) . Also tried to connect my speaker (Elac UB5 ) to my very old Denon amp which did not produce any noise. Contacted Emotiva and they are saying that its normal for some amps to have noise. I have sent them a recording of the noise and they are still not accepting that there is anything wrong with the amp. To me this much noise does not seem normal. 

Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience with Emotiva or any other amp. Would appreciate any advice that anyone can give me. 

Thanks
    • By Mintt
      Yamaha A-S2000 high end Integrated Amplifier (Phono with MM/MC switch) RRP: $3,299.00

Price: $1700+ shipping cost

Reason for sale: no longer need it. 

Paypal, COD

This is one of the best amplifier in the market IMO. Regrettable sale to fund other project.

Mint condition, very rare and hard to find one nowadays, superb sound quality, no mark no scratch on the surface, with remote and original box.

Happy to post at buyer's expense.

Fine Music in the Yamaha Tradition
      Yamaha introduces a new, superior approach to analogue amplifier design. It's full floating and balanced circuit design ensure, for the first time, that the full potential of analogue amplification may be realised.
      I/O (input to output) Direct Symmetrical Design
      Full-stage balanced signal transmission
      Floating balanced power amp
      Fully balanced control amp
      Three parallel balanced volume and tone controls
      Four large capacity power supplies for power amp
      Shunt type local regulators for preamplifier
      Discrete headphone amp for low-impedance drive
      Discrete phono amp with high-precision head amp and equaliser amp
      Specially designed feet
      Specifications:
      Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1 kHz)    190 W + 190 W
      Minimum RMS Output Power (4 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz)    150 W + 150 W
      High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)    105/135/190/220 W
      Damping Factor    160
      Maximum Input Signal (CD etc, 1kHz, 0.5%THD)    2.8V
      Frequency Response    5 Hz-100 kHz (+0 dB/-3 dB)
      Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz)    0.015%
      Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD)    98 dB (S: 150 mV)
      Input Sensitivity (CD)    150mV/47k ohms
      Dimensions (W x H x D)    435 x 137 x 465 mm; 17-1/8” x 5-3/8” x 18-5/16”
      Weight    22.7 kg; 50 lbs.