Hi Snoopy
I’ve hit another snag. The upgrade img file is 7GB which exceeds the max file size for FAT32.
I’ve tried reformatting the SD card to ExFat but for some reason this reduces the available space to 6.GB. I’m using a 16 GB SD card.
I’ve downloaded SD Formatter (the recommended utility to reformat SD cards for maximum file size efficiency) but it only formats to FAT 32.
Catch 22 !!!

Do you know if SoTM accepts NTCS formatted SD cards ?

There must be a way through this.
Just not easy the first time!!

Thanks again.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction Recently sold my SOtM SMS-200 (replaced with Ultra). Based on the number of questions received, it was apparent that many people were still learning about how a network player can fi

This is my setting in MPD Never had a problem with it, maybe you can play with this.

Okay finally got it to work. Within the librespot setup, you have an option to uninstall. So uninstall librespot. Then select librespot again in eunhasu within the setup function within librespot the

Seeking some advise please regarding USB source on SOTM.  I currently have the SOTM sms-200 with S Booster power supply.  I use Roon and my music library is on a 2 TB Samsung SSD attached to new I7 core Mac Mini (Roon Core).  From there the music file travels via router & Ethernet into another room where a SOTM Cat 7 audiophile Ethernet cable takes over and feeds into sMs-200.  I’m upgrading to a Curious USB cable and also considering the Curious USB storage to PC cable made for USB 3 (Mac Mini).

My question to SMS-200 experts is : is it worth considering usIng the USB on the back on the SMS for the music library , especially with an Curious USB storage cable? 

It is hard to A/B because the Curious storage cable will not work on both devices.  Any thoughts please on sonic pros & cons of the direct music library (using Roon) into back of SMS-200 over a network connection.  I shifted from NAS storage to SSD when I upgraded my Mac Mini (Room lightning fast now)

:welcome: to the forum

1 hour ago, omara31 said:

My question to SMS-200 experts is : is it worth considering usIng the USB on the back on the SMS for the music library , especially with an Curious USB storage cable? 

It is hard to A/B because the Curious storage cable will not work on both devices.  Any thoughts please on sonic pros & cons of the direct music library (using Roon) into back of SMS-200 over a network connection.  I shifted from NAS storage to SSD when I upgraded my Mac Mini (Room lightning fast now)

Adding the storage to the SMS-200 creates additional load and likely additional noise.  As well, your path for the music will be more convoluted:

Music Library -> SMS-200 -> Mac Mini (Roon Core) -> SMS-200 (Roon End Point) -> DAC

I suspect that adding storage to the SMS-200 will lead to a deterioration in sound quality and do not recommend it.

Ah! Yes of course, thanks Snoop.   I was hoping you would respond.  Now I recall I did ask that question when I purchased the SMS-200 and got the same answer - makes sense.  

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest gnnett
On ‎5‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, Snoopy8 said:

You should be using image burn, much faster. Ideally use a spare microSD card

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

It has a link to 4.22

On ‎7‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, Jon Snow said:

Hi Snoopy
I’ve hit another snag. The upgrade img file is 7GB which exceeds the max file size for FAT32.
I’ve tried reformatting the SD card to ExFat but for some reason this reduces the available space to 6.GB. I’m using a 16 GB SD card.
I’ve downloaded SD Formatter (the recommended utility to reformat SD cards for maximum file size efficiency) but it only formats to FAT 32.
Catch 22 !!!

Do you know if SoTM accepts NTCS formatted SD cards ?

There must be a way through this.
Just not easy the first time!!

Thanks again.

Hi Jon

Just wondering if you were able to do this successfully?

I am having a crack at the download thing, but have an sD slot on my computer so will not be using a usb drive and not sure if the "run image usb" thing is required, or will work.

It is taking ages to download the 6GB file so figure I am a few hours away from finding out if it is required. 🙂

Cheers

Grant

1 hour ago, gnnett said:

I am having a crack at the download thing, but have an sD slot on my computer so will not be using a usb drive and not sure if the "run image usb" thing is required, or will work.

It does NOT work with SD card slot on computer (I wasted many hours trying to make it work).  It will need a SD card reader with a USB connection.  This will work, but it is not the quickest (USB 2 only)
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/qpix-multi-card-reader-and-usb-hub-bccrlmai4
This is much faster USB 3  but also more expensive
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/verbatim-usb-3-0-all-in-one-card-reader-vbcr65678

• Like 1
Guest gnnett

Hi Snoopy

Sage advice there about wasted hours.

I don't intend wasting anymore.

Have sent May the following request because I now have a 16GB Micro sD card that when re-formatted has a capacity of 6.88GB, when the new .img file is 7.7GB, so more money and time with no certainty on outcome.

"Hi May

I have a problem with my sMS200.

I cannot download the software update to 4.60.

I cannot find on your website where I can purchase a new sD card.

Please do not point me to the “burn a new image sD” page as having followed the instructions I have spent $60, wasted cumulative 8 hours of my time, have a 16GB micro sD card that when re-formatted only has 6.8GB of capacity and at the following line of the instructions do not know how to proceed:

Download the new micro SD card image(.gz) and unzip. Please be noted the image file is quite big.”

Unzipping this file requires a software app. The first app offered is BreeZip. This unzips the file and gives it a “.img.tar” file type.

imageUSB does not recognise files with “.tar” on the end, so I deleted this and imageUSB then burnt this .img file to the micro sD card. That card does not work in the sMS200. Light on the ethernet socket flashes intermittently, but no lights on the front and no power to the attached USB DAC.

Can you please send me an invoice for a current replacement Micro sD card rapid courier to Melbourne Australia.

Kind Regards

Grant"

Guest gnnett

Update:

I know I have not moved beyond

With the patience, very kind assistance and generosity of Snoopy8, having provided me with a functioning sD card, he provided training that has allowed me to burn both my new sD card and the original sD card to current status.

Awesome generosity of SNA continues to amaze.

I would be happy to hand on the sD card Snoopy8 provided to me to anyone else struggling with this, on the basis that I could successfully burn their original card and that the 4.60 remains current. LOL.

Thanks again to the generosity that is SNA.

Regards

Grant

• 11 months later...
20 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Would anyone know if you can have two apps (roon and librespot) active at the same time on a sotm sms-200?

Only 1 app will run. Can it be that difficult to switch apps?

Thankyou

Difficult no but enough to put me off using one in the general space where my wife will want to use Spotify and I will want roon.

45 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Thankyou

Difficult no but enough to put me off using one in the general space where my wife will want to use Spotify and I will want roon.

A Bluesound Node 2i or a NAD with BluOS could be an option.  There are posts on issues with BluOS & Roon with wireless, but I assume you will be using a wired connection.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Muzak!!! said:

Can I plug a USB DAC such as a Dragonfly directly into the SMS 200? Is any other setup required?

You will need a browser to use Eunhasu & setup your music player, eg. Squeezelite.  

Using Audirvana on a NUC at the moment. What's the best way to connect?

Connect NUC to DAC via USB. Why add the SMS 200 into mix?

Bypass the noisey NUC? :)

NUC is not too noisy, and can be improved with a PSU. Likely, NUC will beat SMS 200.  We are going OT, so pls PM me if you have further questions.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Am stuck at purchase stage.

Was initially (12months ago) looking at sms200neo, 

Then was looking at Project Stream Box,

Then a NAD C658,

Then a Matrix Element I.

Now I am looking back to the Sms200.

Am going to buy a Synology DS720+ NAS

Also, probably getting Kompakt DAC.

Can anyone help me with the best way to connect the NAS to the SMS, then also the sms200 to the DAC.

Am chasing sound quality.

If this has already been discussed please direct me to it

Also, will only be used to for music from the NAS (no streaming services will be used) so, do I need to change modem (ZTE from ISP)? And do I need to buy an Ethernet switch if I dont stream the internet via the SMS?

Thanks 

Andy 

Edited by billy170468
1 hour ago, billy170468 said:

Am going to buy a Synology DS720+ NAS

Recommend getting NAS specific drives such as Seagate IronWolf or WD Red

I assume you are new to Synology.  Please have a look at

After you have installed DSM and have your Synology NAS running, you will need to enable SMB (Control Panel/File Services)

image.png.64caec05f4863cae21849f2b27ee891f.png

1 hour ago, billy170468 said:

Also, probably getting Kompakt DAC.

Can anyone help me with the best way to connect the NAS to the SMS, then also the sms200 to the DAC.

You can either use music players Squeezelite or Mpd (my preference.)  Plug in the Kompakt DAC using a USB cable (suggest Viablue USB cable) into SMS-200 and it should find it automatically.  If you are using android, you can use the free Squeezer or MpDroid.  I use MAFA with Mpd.

2 hours ago, billy170468 said:

Also, will only be used to for music from the NAS (no streaming services will be used) so, do I need to change modem (ZTE from ISP)? And do I need to buy an Ethernet switch if I dont stream the internet via the SMS?

Just plug in Ethernet cable to SMS-200 and you are right to go,  You shoudl be able to access the SMS-200 by using a browser and entering //eunhasu.  If that does not work, you will need to log in to router/modem and find the iP address to acess it.

20 minutes ago, billy170468 said:

What cable(s) do I need to plug in DS720+ to connect it to SMS?

Ethernet cable to DS720+ and SMS-200.  There is a rabbit warren with Ethernet cables and switches, suggest not exploring that for time being...

• 2 weeks later...