SOtM SMS-200 Primer

Hi guys,

I need some help playing spotify through my sms 200. I am using sonic transporter i5 is my music server. The sms 200 is running as a roon endpoint via an Ethernet connection. I have updated my eunhasu version to the latest so i can now see librespot. However nothing happens  when i click the play icon on librespot. The librespot icon does not indicate that its active as the Roon icon would indicate when you hit the play icon.

The other part I don't  get is do you connect spotify to librespot through the spotify app? I don't see any other devices showing up in my spotify app?

Am i missing something?

Just burning in my newly acquired sms 200 and lps1.2. Wow...so many people don't  realise that there so much more to unlock even in the lowly cd quality bitrate. As so many people have described, the real performer is the damn uptone lps 1.2. Imo i feel the sms 200 has marginally more depth, detail and overall resolution compared to the microrendu. Subjectively i feel the sms 200 is slightly more insightful vs the MR.....but the game changer is the lps 1.2. It didn't murder the teradak i was using to power the MR, credit to the teradak but it allowed the music to be quite a bit more insightful.

I was listening to Les Miserables London cast. For the very first time i could hear debbie byrne as Fantine gasp as she sung her final good bye to Cosette. Very emotional stuff.

Its a very exciting time for computer audiophile. Just when we thought we reached peak of cd quality reproduction 10 years ago, these reclockers and streamers are still able squeeze so much even out of red book cd quality, forget about hi res audio!

Edited by lyndonlim
  • Like 1

Guest gnnett
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, gnnett said:

Well after 2 weeks of slightly temperamental operation I would have agreed with you, until this morning. Now it does not work again. And I think it has something to do with what I see as one of the biggest scourges on computing, MacAfee. For some reason despite my wife hating them with avengence after they crippled her previous computer, she appeared to have a new "free trial" operating on her computer with a warning that Spotify was trying to do something wrong to her computer. The only on screen option was to "buy" something from MacAfee, so shut down computer, again removed the MacAfee apps from the computer and with windows firewall turned back on, Available Devices sees the sMS200 but will not connect. So thanks again MacAfee, another $200 to get a computer geek to fix the mess you have created. Simply, Spotify say a firewall may be stopping it, but as per screen shot windows firewall has "allow Spotify" selected in all boxes!! So back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Grant 

New file.png

****UPDATED 30/06/2018:
I saw this weekend there is was a new software update available, v0.4.21. Installed on sMS200 Euhansu and then tried uninstalling Librespot and it came up with a new build 1.0.3.431be9e, when it was re-installed.

Hey presto what did not work last weekend, now works fine (for now). May be the hardware heard me hit the buy now button on an Ultrarendu replacement on Thursday. A very simple $900 fix for a problem that I was told did not exist. Shame to see a now perfectly functioning and always beautiful sounding sMS200, now going up for sale, when all I needed to hear was "yes we do have a problem, we are working on it, we will get back to you soon." I am going to try the sMS200 and Ultrarendu side by side for a weekend and hopefully there is a reasonable improvement in performance for the increased spend, noting that while happy it is all working, sad it has been such a painful process.

Cheers

Grant

Just discovered that you have to click on librespot setup then enter your spotify username and password. There is no instructions anywhere advising customers to do so. I can see the sms200 appear as a device on the spotify app now but it still won't play when i select sms200 in spotify.

Okay finally got it to work. Within the librespot setup, you have an option to uninstall. So uninstall librespot. Then select librespot again in eunhasu within the setup function within librespot the reinstall again.

Remember to type in your spotify username and password within librespot. Now you should see sms200 as a output device within Spotify. Select sms200.

I was confused as the version of eunhasu i had did not allow me to uninstall librespot. So make sure you update the latest version of eunhasu.

• Like 2

Guest gnnett
6 hours ago, lyndonlim said:

Grant, 

I would be very interested in hearing the results from your comparison so please do share. 

Will do, pick it up this week and will  give them a good work out next weekend.

PS: Loving the functionality of the sMS200 NOW and as always, it does sound very good.

Edited by gnnett

After listening to how good the sms 200 is i am getting greedy and wondering how much better the ultra is???

Anyone in melbourne with an ultra kind enough to let me come with my sms 200 for a 10 mins comparison session? Its quite big jump money wise so i want to make sure that i can hear the benefits.

8 hours ago, Boomboy said:

Was there a new update available today ? Thought i saw the yellow symbol in eunhasu before i shut it down and went to work .. 

Yes you are right, thanks :)

Last version information

Version : V0.4.22 
- Date : 06-07-2018 
- Modified some UI. 
- Change MPD buffer config fuction. 
- Edit some description. 

Current version information

Version Number : V0.4.19
  • Like 1

@snoopy,et. al.  In my sms-200, the playback stops once in a while and i have to move the play position in my Jriver player, then it starts playing again. Is this something to do with buffering?

My settings are default to what everyone else has.  Any suggestions as to why this happens and how to stop it? Thanks.N_SMS200.thumb.jpg.d17b4f932535015d5969a240b8c79c77.jpg

@Ghost12345  Suggest you upgrade to the latest version of Eunhasu V4.22 and then do further testing.

Some questions:

• Where is your music library ?
  • Are you using wireless anywhere in your chain?

Assuming you are using DLNA with JRiver,  you may need to experiment with buffers in MPD setup (your screen above) and buffers in JRiver.

27 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

@Ghost12345  Suggest you upgrade to the latest version of Eunhasu V4.22 and then do further testing.

Some questions:

• Where is your music library ?
  • Are you using wireless anywhere in your chain?

Assuming you are using DLNA with JRiver,  you may need to experiment with buffers in MPD setup (your screen above) and buffers in JRiver.

Yes i did upgrade it on the 9th but no luck, still happening. 

My music is on a HDD connected to my laptop. No wireless, all wired

Modem Router>Powerline network->Billion router-> SMS200 & Laptop (HDD with music)

I didnt have this problem earlier and two things changed in my setup. my SMS-200 was a few versions behind and I changed the intermediate router from ASUS 68AC to Billion.

Ive increased the buffer time in SMS and reduced the buffer time in JRiver (to be responsive). Will see how it goes. Thx.

Also @Snoopy8, the volume is less when played through SMS200 in comparison to direct USB/Coax to DAC,  obviously not as clear as the sound from SMS, but loud. Any way to improve the loudness?  I am ok with increasing the volume on the amplifier when playing through SMS200 however after a 11o clock position, there is visible hiss in my speakers...

27 minutes ago, Ghost12345 said:

But the laptop sound does not change the sound if sms200 is selected in jriver. Is this how it should be?

Is it fixed volume out? I can change volume with phone through LibreSpot Spotify, but then it’s quite loud when I switch to Roon, which is fixed to max. 

Is it fixed volume out? I can change volume with phone through LibreSpot Spotify, but then it’s quite loud when I switch to Roon, which is fixed to max. 

The volume from PC system is not working and the JRiver volume is what I am using. I removed the SMS out of the equation and use the PS audio DAC Jnr bridge and the volume is much better... but I feel the quality/ detail with sms200 is good..hence trying to get the volume up..