SOtM SMS-200 Primer

Guest scumbag
11 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Thanks @a.dent and @scumbag . I installed iPeng app for iPhone. Funny thing is Tidal does disappear when I turn off my laptop. I did install LMS on it to install ickstream.

can ickstream be installed directly into LMS on SoTM?

For MDP, I put my Tidal cress in, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to play Tidal that I can find.

This is an old document but it suggests you can ; http://www.sotm-audio.com/files/Ultimate/sMS-1000SQ/english/ickStream_App_installation_on_LMS_english.pdf?a241e7

And, as much as people think 6moons is off with the clouds, here is a mention in this article: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/sotm5/3.html

Hopefully the fact that someone had to remote into the SOTM to do this for the reviewer is a reflection of his lack of tech' prowess, not a reflection of how difficult it is!

Mark

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag
11 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

My router is about 10 metres from my SMS-200 so I use a cheap powerline Ethernet thing. I’m sure it’s not ideal. Is there another solution?

I bought a 4 in 1 WIFI extender. I wanted to get away from ADDING noise to my mains, after all I spent a lot of money to filter it out!!!

I'll look up the model tonight when I get home. Quite well priced and quite powerful WIFI with quality of service available (i.e use the same device to stream multiple data streams but give priority to your music stream).

Mark

27 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I bought a 4 in 1 WIFI extender. I wanted to get away from ADDING noise to my mains, after all I spent a lot of money to filter it out!!!

I'll look up the model tonight when I get home. Quite well priced and quite powerful WIFI with quality of service available (i.e use the same device to stream multiple data streams but give priority to your music stream).

Mark

That sounds good. I have an Apple WiFi extender but probably not great. I thought wired would be better but I guess not in this case. 

Guest scumbag
7 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

That sounds good. I have an Apple WiFi extender but probably not great. I thought wired would be better but I guess not in this case. 

There's a bit of discussion on computeraudiophile about that. As always, there are various opinions (opinions are like aholes right?). That's where I got the idea from - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/extending-a-network-for-hifi-r653/

Note option B. I went for a cheaper solution (but still powerful) as the model they suggest in the article is quite expensive.

this is one I got - https://www.umart.com.au/Edimax-BR-6478AC-AC1200--Multi-Function-Concurrent-Dual-Band-Router_39847G.html

It does give a strong WIFI signal - it certainly beats the one that I got from my internet provider.

Edited by scumbag

3 hours ago, scumbag said:

this is one I got - https://www.umart.com.au/Edimax-BR-6478AC-AC1200--Multi-Function-Concurrent-Dual-Band-Router_39847G.html

It does give a strong WIFI signal - it certainly beats the one that I got from my internet provider.

Well that’s a bargain if it works well with Hifi equipment. 

Guest scumbag
Just now, Mike13 said:

Well that’s a bargain if it works well with Hifi equipment. 

I still have to really give this a proper try out though. It seems very good streaming to 4K Netflix to my TV though!

Guest scumbag
Just now, Mike13 said:

If it can handle 4K it can handle Hifi streams. 

Yeah I know but the thing is, in this hobby, there's bytes and then there's the way things sound. At the risk of public crucifixion, The 2nd is purely subjective and sometimes doesn't correlate with measured performance.

On 11/06/2018 at 10:27 AM, a.dent said:

I've never tried this but it's good news it works as designed. With Spotty and Tidal apps (or via ickstream) installed on LMS it would be the best way to stream from Spotify or Tidal.

@Mike13  have you tried this?

I couldn't see how to install ickstream on the SoTM itself (I did install it on the laptop LMS).

@scumbag how did you manage to do this? You can stream Tidal without a non SMS-200 version of LMS?

I've got to decide quickly because my Roon trial runs out in a couple days. Got to say it has grown on me, fast.

Guest scumbag
3 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

I couldn't see how to install ickstream on the SoTM itself (I did install it on the laptop LMS).

@scumbag how did you manage to do this? You can stream Tidal without a non SMS-200 version of LMS?

I've got to decide quickly because my Roon trial runs out in a couple days. Got to say it has grown on me, fast.

Mike,

I was only quoting from those links with regards to Tidal / ickstream. I was able to get LMS running just fine inside the SOTM200 so i can speak from experience on that part.

in the 6moons review, it does mention that this can it can be done though in the screenshot it looks like it was a command line action.

If you buy the SOTM new you get good support. I had a guy log into my SOTM using my PC and teamviewer as i was having a network related issue. The techies know what they're doing.

I'd suggest shooting off an email to SOTM to confirm "from the horse's mouth". Then even if you get a used unit, you at least know that it is doable.

7 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I'd suggest shooting off an email to SOTM to confirm "from the horse's mouth". Then even if you get a used unit, you at least know that it is doable.

This is a really good suggestion!

Guest scumbag
6 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

This is a really good suggestion!

Yes, I'm full of those.

Anyway, I think I have a 3 month subscription card sitting in my messy office. I don't know if it's any use to you but I could post it to you to perhaps start another trial. I don't think you'll be able to extend the one you're on though.

Also, if you buy 12 months and then go for lifetime, they deduct some of the 12 months against the full membership, I have read. So another thing to consider.

Edited by scumbag

1 minute ago, scumbag said:

Yes, I'm full of those.

Anyway, I think I have a 3 month subscription card sitting in my messy office. I don't know if it's any use to you but I could post it to you to perhaps start another trial. I don't think you'll be able to extend the one you're on though.

Also, if you buy 12 months and then go for lifetime, they deduct some of the 12 months against the full membership, I have read. So another thing to consider.

Oh right, they probably deduct the number of months you haven't used. A 3 month trial would be good if you can find it.

Guest scumbag
13 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Oh right, they probably deduct the number of months you haven't used. A 3 month trial would be good if you can find it.

I'll have a look.

1 hour ago, Mike13 said:

I just went through the process of installing Tidal via ickstream on my sMS-200. It's basically exactly the same as on your mac PC or Linux computer.

I notice Deezer can be installed the same way. I'll have to give Deezer HiFi a shot via Squeezelite!

Open LMS

Click on settings

Paste ickstream repository address

Agree to terms

In Plugins open ickstream settings

Click on Tidal

Login

I've taken some screen shots.

740724518_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_07_18pm.thumb.png.63207b1dedc141e743c01b12888441f7.png

770895287_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_08_01pm.thumb.png.3fa4db116670d0213556a92885d5c41a.png520362518_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_13_53pm.thumb.png.a85cc59f8dd5558c0e7d51deee981445.png1628142320_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_16_47pm.thumb.png.07a0e9c7de88a9b3c3b386a5aa652548.png863220778_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_18_12pm.thumb.png.be785a62221946e6ec081defeea04a98.png1879145904_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_23_12pm.png.8b5a7b839cf54451eadc9ab99c64ae3b.png373316004_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_23_25pm.png.887b12d4e10a70068a5819170be080a2.png

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, a.dent said:

I just went through the process of installing Tidal via ickstream on my sMS-200. It's basically exactly the same as on your mac PC or Linux computer.

I notice Deezer can be installed the same way. I'll have to give Deezer HiFi a shot via Squeezelite!

Open LMS

Click on settings

Paste ickstream repository address

Agree to terms

In Plugins open ickstream settings

Click on Tidal

Login

I've taken some screen shots.

740724518_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_07_18pm.thumb.png.63207b1dedc141e743c01b12888441f7.png

770895287_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_08_01pm.thumb.png.3fa4db116670d0213556a92885d5c41a.png520362518_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_13_53pm.thumb.png.a85cc59f8dd5558c0e7d51deee981445.png1628142320_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_16_47pm.thumb.png.07a0e9c7de88a9b3c3b386a5aa652548.png863220778_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_18_12pm.thumb.png.be785a62221946e6ec081defeea04a98.png1879145904_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_23_12pm.png.8b5a7b839cf54451eadc9ab99c64ae3b.png373316004_ScreenShot2018-06-13at9_23_25pm.png.887b12d4e10a70068a5819170be080a2.png

WIN

25 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Open LMS

Got it! Thanks a.dent. I was actually opening a version of LMS on my laptop rather than opening from the play button in Eunhasu.

Unfortunately I have to report back a very poor user experience with Tidal and Spotify through the ickstream add on to Logitech Music Server on SMS-200 with iPeng app (remote control) for iPhone. 

Tidal works but Spotify doesn't. Tidal is slow and fairly unusable - you have to press on a song to play it, it goes to the song's own screen, then you have to press play again.

So for me it is either going to be Tidal and my own library through Roon ($16 a month and leaving laptop on all the time) or back to Bluesound Node 2 for everything.

More set up help required please! :)

I've been A/B'ing SMS-200 MPD controlled with Chimney and Bluesound Node 2. MPD is better. Makes me want to listen more. More clarity.

However... at the start of each song it stutters and struggles to play the song for maybe 5-10 seconds. Has anyone experienced and fixed this?

19 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

I've been A/B'ing SMS-200 MPD controlled with Chimney and Bluesound Node 2. MPD is better. Makes me want to listen more. More clarity.

However... at the start of each song it stutters and struggles to play the song for maybe 5-10 seconds. Has anyone experienced and fixed this?

This is my setting in MPD

image.thumb.png.f2a962747aa423887c31dcec51970f0f.png

Never had a problem with it, maybe you can play with this.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

This is my setting in MPD

image.thumb.png.f2a962747aa423887c31dcec51970f0f.png

Never had a problem with it, maybe you can play with this.

Same as mine. I’ll try put a value in the ‘buffer before play’ field. 

On 10/06/2018 at 5:30 PM, scumbag said:

Squeezelite is a service that runs on the SOTM isn't it? I would have thought that would work without a PC (unless there are other factors I'm not aware of in your setup). Are you running Squeezelite on your PC or on the SOTM? if it's on your SOTM I can't see why it would need the PC on. 

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:squeezelite

"Squeezelite is a network music player which could be used with Logitech Media Server(aka. LMS). Eunhasu has LMS inside of itself which is available Tidal, Qobuz and internet radio."

I have just recently managed to run my squeezebox touch at a friend's house accessing my tidal account directly with no server on at his house by connecting it directly to my mysqueezebox.com  account. Surely squeezelite on the SMS-200 can do that by using the online-hosted mysqueezebox.com server. Essentially, it runs the squeezebox tidal app at the Web-hosted server rather than the tidal app on the LMS at home. Has anyone tried this?  Sounds complicated but actually simplifies a tidal set up with the sms-200 not requiring a server, just an internet connection. 

Edited by christosd
  • Like 1

Guest scumbag
On 14/06/2018 at 6:53 PM, christosd said:

I have just recently managed to run my squeezebox touch at a friend's house accessing my tidal account directly with no server on at his house by connecting it directly to my mysqueezebox.com  account. Surely squeezelite on the SMS-200 can do that by using the online-hosted mysqueezebox.com server. Essentially, it runs the squeezebox tidal app at the Web-hosted server rather than the tidal app on the LMS at home. Has anyone tried this?  Sounds complicated but actually simplifies a tidal set up with the sms-200 not requiring a server, just an internet connection. 

That's cool. I've never even heard of that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2018 at 6:30 PM, Mike13 said:

Same as mine. I’ll try put a value in the ‘buffer before play’ field. 

I get the occasional glitch when I use the “Exact” clock on my Auralic Vega.  I have adjusted the MPD settings for buffer before play to 50, buffer time to 250,000 and period time to 25,000 and I’ve almost eliminated the glitches. I think with a bit more fiddling with the settings I should be able to eliminate them completely.

In in terms of customer support SOtM are great. I had them do a team viewer session some months ago to adjust these settings in MPD and then suggested they make them available to users via the Eunhasu interface. Low and behold the next update included them as MPD user settings.  Can’t beat that for customer support and the benefit of constant improvement to the Eunhasu interface.  ?

Edited by Bilbo