SOtM SMS-200 Primer

Introduction

Recently sold my SOtM SMS-200 (replaced with Ultra). Based on the number of questions received, it was apparent that many people were still learning about how a network player can fit into the audio chain. Decided to write this Primer to help people start their journey into the interesting (but at times frustrating!) world of a network player (also called network streamer). 

Note that the SMS-200 is not plug and play, and requires configuration and a basic understanding of networking (e.g. ip addresses of SMS-200, NAS, static ip address vs DHCP).

Suggestions for improving this primer most welcome.

Typical Setup

The SMS-200 sits at the centre of the music chain.  It takes music from various sources, e.g. usb disks, NAS, computers and online sources such as Tidal and Spotify and serves the music to a DAC via a USB link. Unlike a noisy PC which can also be used at the centre of a music chain, the SMS-200 is specifically built to provide superb audio quality. 

image.png.06ee00c6180d16f706874834cc45db55.png

The SMS-200 comes with a number of servers/connectors to use. The Eunhasu software is accessed using a browser (//eunhasu) and all configurations and setups are done there.  Note that Eunhasu is the same for the SMS-200 and SMS-200 Ultra.

To manage and play music, a mobile or desktop App or a browser can be used.

image.png.0f05142a71da9b9affd1fede0a62e2ec.png

Eunhasu has a Roon end point, but requires (expensive) Roon license as well as a separate computer to run the Roon server.  Roon is well developed software, good UI, good metadata management which leads to new music discovery, Tidal integration.  When purchasing a new unit, SOtM offers a Roon trial license as well as a discounted one year license.

The most popular and most versatile is probably Squeezelite (also known as Logitech Media Server, LMS).  LMS is well developed with a good ecosystem and is used extensively on PCs and dedicated Squeezebox’s.  With dedicated, well rated Apps on phones and PCs, also on browser, users can access music on servers, disk drives as well as Tidal and Spotify.   A good all-in-one solution.

MPD is best described as under developed, with interface average, cover art depending on client and limited playlist management. However, found MPD to sound better than LMS and is my current server.

HQPlayer NAA (end point) requires a separate computer to do the upsampling. HQPlayer requires a separate license.

Shairport is a clone of Apple’s  Airplay. LibreSpot is an open source implementation for Spotify-Connect. MinimServer  and Bubble are UPnP Audio Servers.

System setup manages the network, library (NAS access) and software updates.

Eunhasu manual here.

How Does It Sound?

Most people have found the SMS-200 (and Ultra) to significantly improve audio playback. See SNA thread. There are also plenty of other reviews on the web. Some good videos from Hans Beekhuysen: SMS-200 review  SMS-200 Ultra Review

Next Steps After Getting SMS-200 Going

There are many tweaks to get even better sound out of the SMS-200. See SNA thread.  Both the power supply unit and USB cable to the DAC are 2 tweaks that should be considered early on.  

If you have issues, post here and there are a number of experienced SMS-200 users on the forum who may be able to help.  Also contact SOtM here; they usually reply within a few days.

It can get quite frustrating but please do not give up.  The reward is hopefully better music.

Edited by Snoopy8
Formatting
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good idea @Snoopy8

I've found my sMS-200 and now sMS-200 Ultra really easy to set up and use. I can see where people may get into trouble though.

After trying MPD, LMS and Squeezelite, plain  Roon and HQPlayer to Roon I settled on the HQ/Player Roon partnership as the best SQ with the nicest, easiest to use interface. It did take a bit of sorting out on the server end but as a streamer the sMS-200 was a breeze to set up.

19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

LibreSpot is an open source implementation for Spotify-Connect.

Great write up. LibreSpot might give me the ability to use the Spotify app natively. Anyone use it?

Guest gnnett
17 hours ago, a.dent said:

LibreSpot works fine.

Well after 2 weeks of slightly temperamental operation I would have agreed with you, until this morning. Now it does not work again. And I think it has something to do with what I see as one of the biggest scourges on computing, MacAfee. For some reason despite my wife hating them with avengence after they crippled her previous computer, she appeared to have a new "free trial" operating on her computer with a warning that Spotify was trying to do something wrong to her computer. The only on screen option was to "buy" something from MacAfee, so shut down computer, again removed the MacAfee apps from the computer and with windows firewall turned back on, Available Devices sees the sMS200 but will not connect. So thanks again MacAfee, another $200 to get a computer geek to fix the mess you have created. Simply, Spotify say a firewall may be stopping it, but as per screen shot windows firewall has "allow Spotify" selected in all boxes!! So back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Grant 

New file.png

Guest scumbag
5 hours ago, gnnett said:

Well after 2 weeks of slightly temperamental operation I would have agreed with you, until this morning. Now it does not work again. And I think it has something to do with what I see as one of the biggest scourges on computing, MacAfee. For some reason despite my wife hating them with avengence after they crippled her previous computer, she appeared to have a new "free trial" operating on her computer with a warning that Spotify was trying to do something wrong to her computer. The only on screen option was to "buy" something from MacAfee, so shut down computer, again removed the MacAfee apps from the computer and with windows firewall turned back on, Available Devices sees the sMS200 but will not connect. So thanks again MacAfee, another $200 to get a computer geek to fix the mess you have created. Simply, Spotify say a firewall may be stopping it, but as per screen shot windows firewall has "allow Spotify" selected in all boxes!! So back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Grant 

New file.png

Í work in tech support (not pure IT, software related) and Norton is terrible for crippling people's computers. And of course the WIN10 built in firewall / Defender software can sometimes wreck havoc for WAN/LAN related activities.

One avenue to look at it to ask SOTM and Spotify to verify which IP addresses and ports are required for the services. Also, obviously, creating exceptions for the music app's and services where possible / applicable would be a wise move. If it makes you feel any better (it probably won't), these sort of things afflict a wide range of users' who are simply trying to enjoy the user of their PC's.

Edited by scumbag

Guest gnnett
9 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Í work in tech 

l here you mate.

My job has me at the mercy of this stuff too, so I am venting about other stuff as well. I will wait for the 'tech guy my wife trusts to work on this computer and revisit then.The sad thing is that last night a cousin was around and got her all enthusiastic with Spotify and now will be back to square one.

I will send an email to May again and hopefully she can advise something that might help. The problem is Spotify though. I have found Spotify to be absolutely useless and only interested in responding about payment methods. Nothing technical. If I find something better they will be gone.

Guest scumbag

Just going back to the flow chart above - there would need to be an ethernet switch to connect the NAS/SOTM/PC in there if I am not mistaken. Well that's my understanding of it.

And also, the Switch needs to connect to a router go get to the outside world. Yes?

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag

And just to sound like a total smart arse, I found setting up Roon with a similar setup very easy, though. I should say that was on WIN7 with AVG antivirus and the Windows firewall.

Edited by scumbag

37 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Just going back to the flow chart above - there would need to be an ethernet switch to connect the NAS/SOTM/PC in there if I am not mistaken. Well that's my understanding of it.

And also, the Switch needs to connect to a router go get to the outside world. Yes?

Yes, that is correct. I was aiming for a simplified diagram...

Guest scumbag
5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yes, that is correct. I was aiming for a simplified diagram...

But (engaging smart arse mode again), leaving that out might cause more confusion to a newbee.

Guest scumbag

Squeezelite is a service that runs on the SOTM isn't it? I would have thought that would work without a PC (unless there are other factors I'm not aware of in your setup). Are you running Squeezelite on your PC or on the SOTM? if it's on your SOTM I can't see why it would need the PC on. 

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:squeezelite

"Squeezelite is a network music player which could be used with Logitech Media Server(aka. LMS). Eunhasu has LMS inside of itself which is available Tidal, Qobuz and internet radio."

Edited by scumbag

16 hours ago, Mike13 said:

My solution of using Squeezelite for Tidal also failed. It appears that the laptop has to be on for it to work, just like Roon. 

15 hours ago, scumbag said:

Squeezelite is a service that runs on the SOTM isn't it? I would have thought that would work without a PC (unless there are other factors I'm not aware of in your setup). Are you running Squeezelite on your PC or on the SOTM? if it's on your SOTM I can't see why it would need the PC on. 

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:squeezelite

"Squeezelite is a network music player which could be used with Logitech Media Server(aka. LMS). Eunhasu has LMS inside of itself which is available Tidal, Qobuz and internet radio."

Squeezelite is a player software not a server software. It only plays what is fed to it by LMS. You need LMS or Roon Server to feed it.

I've never used Windoze with Roon, LMS, Tidal, Spotify etc. My advice would be to switch to Ubuntu, Rock or OSX if you want to avoid that MacAfee or Norton problem. They've all worked seamlessly for me. I currently use Ubuntu which I feel is the best compromise.

Guest scumbag
7 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Squeezelite is a player software not a server software. It only plays what is fed to it by LMS. You need LMS or Roon Server to feed it.

I've never used Windoze with Roon, LMS, Tidal, Spotify etc. My advice would be to switch to Ubuntu, Rock or OSX if you want to avoid that MacAfee or Norton problem. They've all worked seamlessly for me. I currently use Ubuntu which I feel is the best compromise.

i think I might have confused my terms. LMS is inside Eunhasu - " Eunhasu has LMS inside of itself " - so you'd just need some sort of controller (smart phone or tablet) to connect to the LMS server and control it. Or a squeezebox remote or squeezebox touch also I suppose.

Also I've read this:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/205608542-SOtM

"Follow

SOtM

To use TIDAL on SOtM you have a variety of options.

For Eunhasu OS, when using Roon as a player activate Roon Ready or Roon server feature on Eunhasu web gui. Sign up for Roon and enter your TIDAL username and password in Roon under Settings, then Services.

When using Squeezebox as a player, activate Squeezelite features on Eunhasu web gui. Open Squeezelite app or LMS and install the ickSteam Music Platform and login or register an account to the ickStream Music Platform
To add TIDAL to your account and enter the service account details when using MPD/DLNA as a player, activate MPD/DLNA feature on Eunhasu web gui. Use Bubble UPNP application and select TIDAL service.

To add Shairport as a player, activate Shairport feature on Eunhasu web gui. Activate Airplay on your iOS devices or MAC and play music via TIDAL app.

For Windows OS connect TIDAL Web player via web browser or run TIDAL application and enter your username and password."

But I certainly agree about setting up a Roon Rock NUC. I am actually feeding my directstream junior directly through my Roon Rock (i.e. it is a server and an endpoint). This is meant to be a strict NO-NO but it sure sounds good to me.

Edited by scumbag
clarification

Guest scumbag

I was able to use LMS as a standalone server on my SOTM200 and I controlled it via the Squeezer app' on my Android phone.

Edited by scumbag

6 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I was able to use LMS as a standalone server on my SOTM200 and I controlled it via the Squeezer app' on my Android phone.

I've never tried this but it's good news it works as designed. With Spotty and Tidal apps (or via ickstream) installed on LMS it would be the best way to stream from Spotify or Tidal.

@Mike13  have you tried this?

Guest scumbag

Can I just say in all this - do get yourself a good Ethernet Switch - I bought a TP link 8 port and it was a piece of junk (lots of dropouts). So I replaced it with a TCXO 8 port (modded with new internal clocks etc) - http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com/2015/07/audio-grade-switcher.html and things are glitch free. I'm not going to claim that the mods in the switch made the sound better but I can categorically claim that all the dropouts stopped immediately so I guess that does mean the sound was better ;) . Of course, my setup might be different to yours but if you are getting glitches or dropouts - consider one of Paul Pang's switches or perhaps get a better ethernet switch.

Just me 2 bobs worth. 

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag

SOTM= bloody expensive. No, I don't have that sort of change. I sold one of my kidneys already and apparently I have to hang on to at least one to stay alive.

Thanks @a.dent and @scumbag . I installed iPeng app for iPhone. Funny thing is Tidal does disappear when I turn off my laptop. I did install LMS on it to install ickstream.

can ickstream be installed directly into LMS on SoTM?

For MDP, I put my Tidal cress in, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to play Tidal that I can find.