Sign in to follow this  
iceblinkfroufrou

YouTube on the television

How easy is it to watch YouTube videos on the television?

I'm probably going to buy a new tv, maybe a Sony Bravia. One can watch YouTube on the tv screen via wifi and the YouTube button on the remote control. I'd like to know the process involved and whether it is easy?

Previously i invested in a couple of very long  HDMI cables to connect the pc tower with my old plasma tv and my AV receiver, but it didn't work out quite right. That is why i'm going to buy a different tv.

My pc doesn't have wifi but i understand i can buy a little USB device that i can plug into the pc tower which will make the computer wifi?[dongle?]

I just had a bit of a look online about this type of thing and it went on about apps for smartphones[which i don't actually own] in order to access YouTube videos on the tv screen. So i'm getting put off tbh as i'm a VERY non-tech person and it is starting to sound difficult.

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-10999-sony-bravia-49-kd49x7000e-4k-hdr-tv.aspx

Thanks.

Youtube came pre-loaded on my Panasonic top box thingy and works fine, only problem I have is typing in the search using the TV remote, haha, click click click click.

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/recorders/dmr-pwt560ng.html

Edited by Darren69

The Sony TVs have Google Cast built in, if you open the YouTube app on your phone you will see the circled symbol, simply click and select which device you want to send it to (provided there are more than one on your network).

2054BEDD-AE4F-4FAB-A11C-FD8B2A3A323A.jpeg.742a83367b3e1d5f9ca5aef2ae0597b3.jpeg

1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

The Sony TVs have Google Cast built in, if you open the YouTube app on your phone you will see the circled symbol, simply click and select which device you want to send it to (provided there are more than one on your network).

2054BEDD-AE4F-4FAB-A11C-FD8B2A3A323A.jpeg.742a83367b3e1d5f9ca5aef2ae0597b3.jpeg

I was going to say a Chromecast to HDMI, but built in is even better. Using a tablet or phone as the controller is far better than any remote/smart TV interface that I have encountered. 

Of course an addition to Youtube, you can (chrome)cast Netflix, Stan, ABC, SBS, TED etc etc etc. VLC player now supports casting so I can play video files from my PC hard-drive over wifi to my "dumb" TV.

Edited by enikoy

I have Youtube on my new TV.

* Go into Youtube app; Use your TV remote control to point at an on screen keyboard to type out whatever you want to watch. This is clunky to say the least.

* If you had a smart phone you would use it to search youtube (much faster) and simply cast that to your TV.

* Add a chrome cast (around $60) to your TV. The chrome cast simply attaches to any HDMI port. Then you could use say your desktop (or any device on your network) to search and then cast to your Chrome cast. 

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Youtube came pre-loaded on my Panasonic top box thingy and works fine, only problem I have is typing in the search using the TV remote, haha, click click click click.

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/recorders/dmr-pwt560ng.html

Ah yes,  the old TV remote typing trick  I too have the pansonic tv and pvr and all my SNA posts are done this way  ( this post only took me half an hour :thumb:)

Most modern tv's and devices like apple tv will let you stream youtube easily.I use the built in app on an LG C7 Oled with a wired 100 mbps connection and can stream some unbelievable 4K content.Be aware that if you only have a 25 mbps connection this content will be shaped and you won't get  the full 4K res.Also if you use the apple 4K box you won't get 4K on youtube just 1080P.Now let me tell you about all these w@nkers that whinge about motion clarity and judder with low frame rate content when i turn off all picture processing on the LG and feed it 60fps 4K content from youtube it's freakin revelation.No processing needed, no judder, no blur 60fps rocks the fcn world.

Sorry.. That yep was a text repky to my wife which somehow got posted here haha...

Iceblinkfraufrau, a "smart tv" has youtube built in

Once you run the blue cord from the box the internet people gave you (modem) to the tv...
Just use the remote to click on the youtube icon on the tele and you are on you tube.

Or if using wifi... Its the same

Open the "smart tv" bit of the tele and click youtube and you are on youtube

No need for a computer or smartphone.

Your tv home theatre (if you have one) will then produce the audio

On 07/06/2018 at 1:05 PM, Darren69 said:

With my Panasonic TV I use a Logitech K400 wireless USB keyboard; works a treat! (Keyboard section only; touchpad can't be used for navigation.)

Thanks for replying.

So i DON'T have to have to have a mobile phone app in order to watch YouTube videos on my new tv? As long as it has the YouTube feature and YouTube button on the remote? 

I can just buy a dongle to plug into my pc to make it wifi and compatible with the new tv which can show YouTube via wifi?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

Thanks for replying.

> So i DON'T have to have to have a mobile phone app in order to watch YouTube videos on my new tv? As long as it has the YouTube feature and YouTube button on the remote? 

REPLY:
I don't understand... YouTube is an app in the SmartTV. Using TV remote control, press the APPs key on the remote then select YouTube on the TV screen pop-up to start YouTube.

> I can just buy a dongle to plug into my pc to make it wifi and compatible with the new tv which can show YouTube via wifi?

REPLY:

Nothing to do with dongle, PC or wifi.... For easier searching within TV YouTube, use a USB wireless keyboard; lot better than using the on-screen keyboard & remote...

BTW, when I walk-in thru my front door, my personal and company smartphones are switched off. If anyone needs to contact us they know to use our POTS phone number. Nothing is that urgent!

7 hours ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

Thanks.

So if i buy a new tv that has the YouTube feature, all i need to do is either use the remote to point at on screen keyboard or get a wireless keyboard to search for videos i wish to watch, don't need a mobile phone?

The reason i'm asking these basic questions is because prior to looking at ads for new tvs and seeing they had a YouTube feature,  i had thought i needed to connect the pc to the tv and receiver via HDMI cables, and i just want to rule that completely out.

BTW i have no idea why you highlighted the fact i typed out 'thanks' Seak, is it odd to thank people for replying or something?

45 minutes ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

So if i buy a new tv that has the YouTube feature, all i need to do is either use the remote to point at on screen keyboard or get a wireless keyboard to search for videos i wish to watch, don't need a mobile phone?

Assuming the new TV has the Youtube app, you do not need a mobile phone.  

I'm sure all new TV's have the app, but I just make sure when you buy it.