Darth's meditation chamber

The guy that built it had it up on Ebay in the UK, it went viral at the time.

Some of the questions asked of the seller were hilarious.

Q: Will you ship to America?
20-Jul-05
A: Shipping to the US will cost ~$500 according to Fedex / UPS website. I will ship to the US if the buyer covers the cost of shipping.
Q: is the speaker easily interchangeable with any other 12" subwoofer?
19-Jul-05
A: Yes, totally interchangable Regards Andy
Q: How about a real question... Is the stand included?
18-Jul-05
A: Yes, the stand is included... and the speaker cable adorned with gold plated 4mm plugs.
Q: Will it include any anti-attack firing batteries to ensure my girlfriend doesn't mount a sneak attack? I suspect she is a rebel sympathizer.
16-Jul-05
A: It's defenses against girlfriends are a known weakness... hence the reason it's on ebay :)
Q: Look at the size of that thing!
16-Jul-05
A: Cut the chatter, Red 2.
Q: Do you still have the plans for this death star or have they been stolen?
15-Jul-05
A: I find your lack of faith disturbing... http://www.objectreality.co.uk/DeathStarPlans
Q: If your "deathstar" subwooofer had a stand-up fight with a "borg cube" all-in-1 hi-fi then who'd win and how?
15-Jul-05
A: The Death Star can destroy a planet. I can't imagine it would struggle against a gramophone with a built in wireless and auto-reverse cassette deck.
Q: Please can you confirm whether it is the black or red thermal exhaust port that leads directly to the Main Reactor?
15-Jul-05
A: You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor!
Q: Does it have an artifical gravity generator?
14-Jul-05
A: No, it relies on real gravity.
Q: What sort of defenses does it have, if on the off chance.. there is a Rebel attack. I don't really want to cough up for this only to have it destroyed by some pesky X-Wing fighters.
13-Jul-05
A: It protects itself by oscillating the atmosphere around it at low frequencies. An X-Wing would fall apart before it got close.
Q: I appreciate you not being able to offer shipping - would you be able to give me a hand loading it? I don't think it will fit in my car, do you think it would be possible to get it on a roof rack? Thanks.
13-Jul-05
A: I can give you a hand of course. Being a sphere I'm not sure it would be suitable for a roof rack. I've never tried, but it would probably go in a hatch back with the seats down.
Q: I have a "Cloud city on the gas planet Besbin" AV receiver. Are they compatable?
13-Jul-05
A: The Death Star cannot be powered by line level alone, you could not destroy a planet with line level. It needs an external amplifier, you can buy mine :)
Q: Does it include a tractor beam?
13-Jul-05
A: For health and safety reasons I decided not to include a tractor beam. If you recall, it all started to go wrong for Darth Vader following the use of such a device.
Q: If I can't collect, can it fly through space to me instead?
13-Jul-05
A: That would require a pilot of considerable skill.
Q: A speaker you say? so it's NOT a moon. Do I get lots of little Storm Troopers living in it too??
13-Jul-05
A: I'm unable to disclose this information, you may be part of the Rebel Alliance.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Looks like its time for a tube pin clean.

I had a big few days polishing copper stills. I forgot to pay attention to the door of the chamber being closed. Oop's. Gear got a dusting of copper polishing flecks. I'm usually onto that one. 

Getting undesirable rice bubbles (snap, crackle and pops).

Dave @Chickenism had some nice bass trap and wall treatments that really helped tame the little cave. Thanks Dave?

Still getting phono stage sorted. Ducs prototype line stage is very pleasing, but haven't settled on SUT yet. 

As for the rack, it's still in my imagination

Looks like its time for a tube pin clean.  

I had a big few days polishing copper stills. I forgot to pay attention to the door of the chamber being closed. Oop's. Gear got a dusting of copper polishing flecks. I'm usually onto that one. 

Getting undesirable rice bubbles (snap, crackle and pops).

Dave [mention=105587]Chickenism[/mention] had some nice bass trap and wall treatments that really helped tame the little cave. Thanks Dave[emoji106]

Still getting phono stage sorted. Ducs prototype line stage is very pleasing, but haven't settled on SUT yet. 

As for the rack, it's still in my imagination

Time for....Sadie, the cleaning lady!!! [emoji4]

• 1 year later...

My 11 year old daughter asked me if she saved up could she get a record player.

I figured I had enough gear to cobble a system together. 

So she's ended up with not a bad sounding little system. She's wrapped with it. 

IMG_4754.thumb.jpg.fef552b463ded9ed31bce321e2c9b0e3.jpg

Pioneer PL-30LII

Pioneer SA-5300

Technics XS-980

CDC CH4000R

Jamo 6 speakers

CD player has trouble reading discs. Speakers are clear but don't go very loud.

Speakers and CD player could do with updating but its giving her a lot of fun. 

• Like 13