Elsinore Speaker Project

hello all - well i have been busy beavering away on Fridays building an elsinore speaker kit I got from  Joe Rasmussen [I had Joe make up the crossovers etc for me as I know my limitations].  Anyway it wasn't that difficult and i had the boards and routing done at a local kitchen cabinet manufacturer although you do need two sets of hands from time to time - I am also now in the position of not having any WAF to worry about so I made them out of 25 mm melamine faced MDF - actually they dont look bad.  So i finished them yesterday and have just plugged them in to see how they go - I'm also in the middle of painting ceiling and walls as well.  Anyway they sound fantastic and they are not set up properly at all - I must say they are an impressive design indeed.  Cant wait till i have finished the painting so i can put them in their proper positions

20180602_102351[18490].jpg

20180602_102520[18489].jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Same here. I often wonder what they would sound like at my place hooked up to my gear.

Joe Rasmussen is certainly a very interesting character, thinking outside the box unlike some others that are just stuck in 2nd gear.

I look forward to some more impressions ones they have found their place in your setup.

On 22/07/2018 at 3:44 PM, Ihearmusic said:

I often wonder what they would sound like at my place hooked up to my gear.

They will sound excellent.

I've designed a very similar speaker, based on some of the wisdom Joe has put on paper about Elsinore .... and I can tell you Elsinore is a very well considered design... and is quite insensitive to amplifiers (unlike most speakers) - quite efficient, and also super gentle load.

It mightn't look very 'special', but it focuses on the things which matter.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

They will sound excellent.

I've designed a very similar speaker, based on some of the wisdom Joe has put on paper about Elsinore .... and I can tell you Elsinore is a very well considered design... and is quite insensitive to amplifiers (unlike most speakers) - quite efficient, and also super gentle load.

It mightn't look very 'special', but it focuses on the things which matter.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

One of my questionable criteria when assessing a new amplifier build is always how well does the speaker reflect the quality of the amplifier.

I have a range af speakers I can hook up to a new design but always think I should have something better. ( don't  we all)

Not having endless funds at my disposal, I have been looking at the Elsinore for quiet some time now.

I might just have to bite the bullet one day,

On 30/07/2018 at 3:15 PM, davewantsmoore said:

and is quite insensitive to amplifiers (unlike most speakers)...

Yes, the impedance plot is impressively flat.

It would be very interesting to A/B high output impedance amps v low output impedance amps (tubes v SS anyone?) and see what differences remain after output impedance is effectively taken out of the equation.

• 3 weeks later...

On 09/08/2018 at 9:37 PM, Sub Sonic said:

Yes, the impedance plot is impressively flat.

It would be very interesting to A/B high output impedance amps v low output impedance amps (tubes v SS anyone?) and see what differences remain after output impedance is effectively taken out of the equation.

The differences in output impedance create differences in frequency response, which are very audible....  once you correct for them, these big differences go away, and all you are left with is the sound of "good amplifier" vs "bad amplifier".   As long the amplifier isn't clipping these differences are fairly small (much smaller than that a different frequency response sounds like).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

well i have been spending a bit of time moving these about in the room although I have not settled on the final position as yet....i am getting the carpet replaced fairly soon so I will finalise positioning then.  But if anyone is considering a self build for speakers, then do yourselves a favour and build these. They sound absolutely fantastic - Joe R is a bit of a whizz-kid that's for sure.  However if you are going to put a nice finish on the enclosures, then don't use them until you have them finished - you will never take them to bits to finish  the work otherwise

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I realise this is quite an old thread but relevant to my query. I'm seriously considering the Elsinore build after hearing a friend's self build speakers - he had the crossovers built/tweaked by Joe many moons ago. His speakers reveal so much more detail than my Duntech Marquis. I find the Duntechs need to be cranked to get the best out of them, and tbh probably too big for my room. 

The conundrum is that I'd have to sell the Duntechs to fund the Elsinore build. Without auditioning the Elsinores I'd be taking a big risk in selling the Duntechs - which still sound great. 

So. I guess I'm just after advice as to whether the risk would be worth it? 

Amy advice around this build would also be much appreciated.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Linc1976 said:

Yeah, it would be my first build which adds to my hesitancy. I do know a good cabinet maker which could help with the box build. 

I heard these a few years ago, and was very impressed!

Almost to the point of building them, but had reservations on the work involved. 

If I'd known a cabinet maker, well would have been a resounding yes!!

Only you can answer whether it's worth the jump from the Marquis, compare if you can then you'll definitely have the right decision to make.😉

40 minutes ago, Linc1976 said:

@evil cThanks for sharing that -  yet another positive review of these speakers. You're absolutely right - the decision will be helped if I can audition them. As time goes by though I'm leaning more and more towards them...

Nah you'll struggle to audition,  l meant keep both and sell the loser !,😊