Richter Merlin/Mentor V5

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to or are owners of the Richter Merlin or Mentor V5 Bookshelf speakers.  There is some sharp pricing around at the moment and they look wonderful in the Jarrah finish. 

I have read here that Brad Sehran is a talented designer with an enviable resume and according to the blurb, he and a number of other sound engineers were involved in the design of version V's in both models. Although I would have some trepidation in listening to a speaker put together by a committee. The Merlin I think won best speaker of 2017 under $1K.  But there is so much competition in that class and a lot of really talented performers hence my question.

I am a bit pressed for time at the moment and would like to find a little time to have a listen, probably at Klapp or Audio Trends down here in Melbourne.  I am curious as to whether they are a significant step above and beyond the normal array of Wharfdales, QAcoustics, Monitor Audio, Polk et al in the same kind of price range. I am especially interested in the midrange and treble, not looking for a cellar full of bass.  An opinion or two would prompt me to make the time sooner better than later to grab a listen. 

That said I keep a sharp eye out on the stereonet classifieds, lately I missed a few bargains, bad timing or geographically challenged.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well allthumbs, as nobody deemed it necessary to reply to your topic, I will.

Viva Brad Serhan!

Merlin V is the measure of a true artisan of speaker design and Richter deserve as much praise for producing this wonderful jewel of a speaker.

Best Regards

allthumbs

I own a pair of merlins series 5. For music they sound better than mentors imo

The Merlins aint bad . I now use them as surround back speakers in a 7.2 setup. 

I also own Richter wizards that i use as surrounds . I use psb T3s for front stage.

Imo Richter speakers are average performers.  Nothing special really . Much better speakers available now . They are good as surround speakers though. 

The wizards sound really dull as stereo speakers. Dynamic range is minimal compared to other speakers. My T3s sound 10 times better. Its worth spending abit more and buying imported speakers. Theyre just better made than whats available here.

Isaac, I think the mid-range on the Merlin V is incredible, voices are very well presented including the spoken voice, the bass is a little pendulous, but that midrange, wow! smooth and natural to my ear up into that soft dome tweeter. A bit of a relief considering the exaggerated amount of tizz and tingle around these days.

I haven't heard the Mentor V nor the Wizards, but I can imagine the T3's to sound better than the Wizards, but the price differential between the two is pretty substantial.