Hello from Perth!

After ages of lurking in the background, I thought it best that I come out and introduce myself.

I love this forum and the wealth of knowledge that you all share.  I love the fact that there are so many passionate enthusiasts and no bickering and nastiness which is all to common on forums these days.

My primary interest is in 2 channel hi-fi but I've had to make compromises in my setup to accomodate home theatre.

Currently I'm running Arcam AVR390 as a preamp into a bridged P429 powering my Monitor Audio Silver 2's.

For my next upgrade I'm looking at the source... I want to improve on my Rotel RCD-12?

I enjoy many genres of well recorded music, but quality down tempo electronic tunes is where my passion lays.

Please don't hold this against me?

• Like 1

" No bickering" I’ll have you know we bicker constantly!

the Friday night brawls descend into virtual blood baths 

have you visited the cables and Wire forum ?

or heaven forbid the chill out room !

Oh .....Greetings 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Texas_Legit said:

Nice gear for a "Newbie", I too am a serial forum lurker so thought I would chip in.

Have you compared using the Arcam DAC to the RCD-12 analog out? Could be an instant improvement

Yeah, I quite often switch between the digital input on the Arcam PVR and Stereo Direct analog. The analog has a much wider soundstage and warmer sound.

Just the other day I pulled my old Musical Fidelity X-DACv3 out of my headphone setup, which I haven't used for ages, and got a noticeable improvement.  I'm looking for a more modern dac but i'm unsure how much to spend.  $500, $1000 ?... it's hard to know when you are going to reach to point of diminishing returns.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

If you're looking to upgrade the CD player and get a quality dac as well, the Oppo UDP205 could tick all the boxes. Not many left but I do know where you can get one if you are interested. At $2199 it may blow the budget however...