New Receiver - Which One? $1220 Max Budget

Howdy All.

Just after a new receiver.

Must support Dolby Atmos etc, have 2 HDMI outs, Pre-Outs. Reasonaly powered and of cause all the other connections in todays modern AVR's.

What are your suggestions?

Got a Max budget of $1220

Looked around and I could score the following.

Sony DN1080
Onkyo TX-NR686
Denon AVRX2400H
Yamaha RX-A1070 (Refurbished).

HI @Eastley83

Have you thought about an Integra ( Think Luxus to Toyota, thus Integra to Onkyo)

There are several here easily within your price range. I purchased on ~ 9 months ago and was able to do a "make offer' of $100+ and purchased it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Receivers/14981/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=ambertechonline

Cheers

JJ

12 hours ago, Eastley83 said:

Howdy All.

Just after a new receiver.

Must support Dolby Atmos etc, have 2 HDMI outs, Pre-Outs. Reasonaly powered and of cause all the other connections in todays modern AVR's.

What are your suggestions?

Got a Max budget of $1220

Looked around and I could score the following.

Sony DN1080
Onkyo TX-NR686
Denon AVRX2400H
Yamaha RX-A1070 (Refurbished).

Have you listened to any of these AVRs? Each of us hear things slightly differently. Rather than rely on comparing specs, let you ears to be the judge.

15 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have you listened to any of these AVRs? Each of us hear things slightly differently. Rather than rely on comparing specs, let you ears to be the judge.

That is the issue.

Living where I am there is near to no way to test them. I have heard the Sony DN1080. That is all.

But the Sony is now a No. I purchased one and I am taking it back. The second HDMI out has hand shake issues with my Samsung Monitor. I tested the HDMI out 1, also had issues, so it hates my screen. Tried several cables etc.

Understand your situation. I prefer the Denon sound over the Yamaha, but others like the latter. 

One way to compare is to look at the ability to drive speakers. Ignore the marketing BS about power per channel, look at the overall power consumption to give you a good indication of which is a better unit. On that basis, the Yamaha is ahead of the Onkyo and Denon.

• Like 1

Give Clef HiFi a call. I got a great deal on my Marantz processor from them and they will do much better prices than advertised.

I've owned near flagship level AVR's or Processors from Integra, Denon and Marantz. House sounds I'd describe as

Integra= Superb detail

Marantz= Meaty + detail

Denon= Most natural overal

Go with where your sound preference is. I've had to tone down the bass from my current Marantz, but do like the meaty sound. With my Integra I was always doubting my sub's ability and running them hot.

Integra has best menu system but only if you have the knowledge to tweak it. Think Integra = Windows and Marantz/Denon = Mac OSX