Input impedance

nzlowie

Hi all, with my discussions around DAC to amp impedance matching I've been thinking about how the volume pot figures in this...

If the volume pot is on the input surely that's the value that the source see's, yea? So if you have an amp with a 50k volume pot the input impedance would be 50k, take away the pot and it would then be the true impedance of the amp. Maybe I've got it all mixed up between resistance and impedance, my pea brain overloads some times.....

Hi all, with my discussions around DAC to amp impedance matching I've been thinking about how the volume pot figures in this...
If the volume pot is on the input surely that's the value that the source see's, yea? So if you have an amp with a 50k volume pot the input impedance would be 50k, take away the pot and it would then be the true impedance of the amp. Maybe I've got it all mixed up between resistance and impedance, my pea brain overloads some times.....

Depends on what kind of attenuator you are using, in the case of normal log pots or series attenuators than it is constant, although shunt ladders are variable to the source

56 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

Maybe I've got it all mixed up between resistance and impedance

I don't think so.

Yes, the input impedance of an amplifier could be dominated by an input attenuator.... depends on the amp.

The "true impedance" of the amplifier (eg. "minus the volume pot") isn't something you should consider relevant.   Just make sure the ratio between in/out impedance is >> 50 and that everything will be fine.