Recommendation for USB DAC

I am starting to convert my CD collection to FLAC to be able to listen on my current study system. I mainly use my desktop for work and have a spare laptop and external hard drives which I am currently using to convert the CDs to FLAC format, so what I am looking for is some recommendations for a USB DAC with line-out that I can connect to my current study system.

I am on a pretty tight budget for a while due to my other main hobby (archery) and having to spend a substantial amount of money on replacing some major pieces of equipment.

Any feedback on a DAC or even if I am going about the DAC solution to my musical dilemma in the right way would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by naidan

I have converted my entire library to FLAC for similar reasons, and haven't played a CD since then. Even the new ones get ripped right away and the first listen is from the NAS. 

Regarding the DAC, if $350 is not  too much, Topping D50 would get you covered. It does everything, including high res files and DSD and according to reviews and user feedback it performs well above its price range. I have no personal experience with this one, but that's what I'd be buying if I was starting over.

• Like 2

When you say you are on a tight budget, do you have a number in mind? There are many choices for DACs. E.g.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/digital/cat_digital-to-analog-converters-dac?sort_by=price-ascending

If it fits under your budget, suggest the Audioquest DragonFly Red. Budget DACs have come a long way but suggest you listen to some of them.  Also check the classifieds..

• Like 3

AUNE X1S is my go to DAC/Headphone amplifier. Can get it for a song second hand, otherwise it's around $300.

Snoopy's suggestion above for the Dragonfly Red is solid. One of the better/best budget DACs. Also portable and will power headphones if required.

• Like 1

Can I ask what is your current system? The problem is, if you listen to a good CD player, switching to laptop + cheap DAC can be very painful for your ears, unbearable.

• Like 1

With your Thorn/Mission setup in the study I really wouldn't fret on which DAC to buy, as the technology is so damn good in 2018. Two hundred bucks would get you all you need. If it were me I'd go with the Topping D30. It has one of the best implementations of the Cirrus CS4398 chip I've heard, and that includes Marantz SACD players. Great balance, nice dynamics. Pair it with a matching Topping A30 headphone amp (which has an excellent line-out facility, BTW) and you'd be sorted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Im a practising tight arse,  it’s built into my DNA!  I’m waiting for it to be in the classified....?

I am looking for good sound on a budget, so is the USB to PC option I am thinking of a reasonable solution to my requirements or should I be looking at another DAC option?

12 hours ago, was_a said:

With your Thorn/Mission setup in the study I really wouldn't fret on which DAC to buy, as the technology is so damn good in 2018. Two hundred bucks would get you all you need. If it were me I'd go with the Topping D30. It has one of the best implementations of the Cirrus CS4398 chip I've heard, and that includes Marantz SACD players. Great balance, nice dynamics. Pair it with a matching Topping A30 headphone amp (which has an excellent line-out facility, BTW) and you'd be sorted.

Sorry, but Topping vs Marantz CD 8005? It's kind of joke I hope. 

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, Irek said:

I've compared a topping d10 against DACs costing a lot more than the Marantz.

It is a joke indeed that DACs costing so much offer so little in terms of sonic improvement (all IMHO, YMMV etc)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You still have not told us your budget....

Sorry, I would have liked under $200 but for the posts above it looks like $200 - $300 should be my starting point.

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback, it has been greatly appreciated and I have a lot to think about prior to making my decision. One thing though, I did get a message from one of the members indicating that he is selling his DAC, Arcam irdac for $280.

The reviews of this DAC look excellent but does anyone else have experience with this unit that they could provide feedback?

Also this unit is only 3 years old, not knowing the longevity of these units, is age an issue for DAC's and is there any other questions I should ask?

1 hour ago, Irek said:

No joke.

Ignoring for a moment the qualities of the disc-spinning transport and beefier power supply of the SA8005, the way Topping have tuned or 'voiced' the CS4398 compares favourably with the Marantz.

Ditto for the Marantz SA14S1 and the Oppo universal players.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

Indeed, I'd agree on the Topping DAC as said earlier. The D50 has their reference sound quality which I've listened to in the DX7s comparing it to a DAC costing 10x as much and it's remarkably clean, but ideally pair it with a linear power supply as well. All up probably $360 new.

D50 product details:

http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=37.html

Available from Amazon Australia for $329:

https://www.amazon.com.au/TOPPING-ES9038Q2M-DSD512-768KHz-Decoder/dp/B07BQTFWW1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527892016&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+d50

Aliexpress has hundreds of linear PSUs starting at about $30

Edited by Ittaku

I should say I haven't compared the D10 to the D50 sound directly so I don't know what magnitude of improvement the 3x costs provides.

Amazon have the D10 for $118:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Dilvpoetry-Topping-Desktop-ES9018K2M-Amplifier/dp/B07CYRRV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527898981&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+d10

Edited by Ittaku

38 minutes ago, warweary said:

Does it matter which linear power supply OP uses?

As with most things in this world you get what you pay for; however the biggest improvement is gained by simply moving from a switch mode power supply to a linear power supply.

• Like 1