uuuummm, aaaaaaa, brrrrrr, vzzzzzz….. enough said ( I don't like spoilers :laugh:) , I had low expectations and within those 2 hours 20 I didn't feel bored for single minute so mission accomplished and highly recommended :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Volunteer

I haven’t seen it but this review is pretty damning 

Caution may contain traces of  spoilers :

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2018/02/27/red-sparrow-review

THE VERDICT

Red Sparrow is too disturbing and brutal to be popcorn entertainment, and by trying to make the uncomfortable storylines and interminable torture sequences palatable for the audience, it completely undermines its ability to operate as a serious drama.

27 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

review

There certainly is mixed reviews, I suppose it's one of those films that can be too dark or confronting for some.

[Jennifer Lawrence] throws herself into her role with abandon (cf. mother!), suggesting, pace how some directors cast her, that her bravura dramatic energy flourishes best in worlds of genre extremes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red_sparrow/

JSmith :ninja:

I was dragged to see this at the movies on a wet Sunday arvo - should have used my time more usefully tidying my sock drawer. Its a weird confusion of time frames imposing cold war Soviet spy cliches on present day Russia - it just didn't work at all. 

Verdict: Mildly entertaining tripe.  

Lame and confused plot, cliched/cartoonish performances from some very good actors obviously taking the piss and the cash. Dark and confronting only in a very obvious, unthreatening kind of way — it certainly wont provoke any thought. 

2 out of 10.

OK, maybe 3.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 3

dark film? oh my this was a piece of shite. stupid script, fake and confused accents, easy to solve spy rubbish. hollywood remake of a typical cold war movie.. we are good and you are bad.

only a few good bits in it and those that have seen it will remember them. the rest is not worth free admission.

7 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

THE VERDICT

Red Sparrow is too disturbing and brutal to be popcorn entertainment, and by trying to make the uncomfortable storylines and interminable torture sequences palatable for the audience, it completely undermines its ability to operate as a serious drama.

Serious drama??? maybe I have different set of expectations but if I wanna watch serious drama I would be looking for Shawshank Redemption type movie, for me (at least) this is action thriller and that's what I expected and got at the end...

brutality? no different than other movies but level of authenticity is higher than usually and that might be disturbing for some  

6 hours ago, JSmith said:

[Jennifer Lawrence] throws herself into her role with abandon (cf. mother!), suggesting, pace how some directors cast her, that her bravura dramatic energy flourishes best in worlds of genre extremes.

yep...

I watched it in Czech language so didn't mind about poor accent :lol:

• 2 months later...

Saw this on the plane , I didn't mind it all. 

The trailers made it look like a atomic blonde ripoff , which I don't think it was at all. Reminded me of those old John Le Carrie movies, more spooky plodding and general  cloak and dagger nastiness.

Pros and cons already pointed out by others, but for me 6/10. 

Let me tell you, it was a hell of a lot better than Geostorm ?