Sign in to follow this  
Pipey

Rega Platter wobble

Hey, I bought a Rega planner 1 a few months back and have been enjoying it immensely. Just recently I’ve noticed it had a considerable amount of vertical wobble in the platter. I’m talking five or six mm. Moved the platter on the sub at five degree intervals and it made very little difference. Is this play deemed an acceptable amount of tolerance. To my mind I’d think not. I know the deck is a basic starter unit but I thought I’d be getting decent quality buying a recognized brand name. Any thoughts on the issue ? What would be the course of action to follow ?

If you bought new it's time to bring back to the store

23 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Yep bought brand new, only two months old really. 

41 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

I agree, if only two months old this is not correct and should not be your problem and you should not touch it as you could void your warranty.

Having said that the only cause I can think of is that the nut holding the sub platter bearing on to the plinth is loose.

542942567_regabearingassembley2.thumb.jpg.303b543497cd5f48eaf338629e6db6f8.jpg

1582689817_Regahubbearing.jpg.1b96e3902d8f98eacbd2df34b2340445.jpg

Ah I see what I’ve done there. I’ll try to explain a little better. The movement is at the outside of the platter when the turntable is rotating. 

So is it like an edge warp on a record and you are suggesting  the platter may be warped?

Although interesting to know the problem the main thing is it is not correct and should be returned.

Edited by EV Cali

5 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

So is it like an edge warp on a record and you are suggesting  the platter may be warped?

Although interesting to know the problem the main thing is it is not correct and should be returned.

Yep even without a record on there and the platter rotating it’s like it’s not totally flat. I’ll check it when I get home and make sure nothing is loose or on the piss. 

rega planar 1 warped platter is not uncommon. so is sub platter issue. Since it's using some type of resin on both of them not something rigid like glass, metal or perspex. I've seen many post regarding warped planar 1 platter

9 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

rega planar 1 warped platter is not uncommon. so is sub platter issue. Since it's using some type of resin on both of them not something rigid like glass, metal or perspex. I've seen many post regarding warped planar 1 platter

Do you know if they found a fix ? Or went to a different deck. 

Many Rega models have suffered from platter wobble. It is a sub platter warp causing the problem. Your dealer should replace the sub platter. Zero tolerance for vertical platter wobble.

16 minutes ago, Pipey said:

No fix rather than replacing it. To be fair it is not a design issue more of manufacturing and quality control issue. the material itself is fine if it's been made properly, not the best but fine for it's price bracket. 

40 minutes ago, Pipey said:

Replacing the sub platter with a Groovetracer or Tangospinner metal sub platter will solve this issue.

Ok. After a little tinkering I’ve improved the situation a whole heap. I took the platter off and pulled the sub platter spindle assembly out. Made sure the plastic sub platter was full down on the spindle. Not sure if it moved but. Chucked it all back together and now I’m only getting the slightest bit of wobble. 1 mm maximum. Think I’ve got it the best I can hope for. I’ll call that a win. Thanks for all the reply’s and input 👍

Hi all, 

i have the same issue with my rega P3. I took it back to the supplier who have said I may have damaged it moving house which I don’t believe. They have also told me a little platter wobble won’t make a difference. I’ve never been happy with their response. Where do I stand with this. The one they use to demo in the shop is fine.

4 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Hi all, 

i have the same issue with my rega P3. I took it back to the supplier who have said I may have damaged it moving house which I don’t believe. They have also told me a little platter wobble won’t make a difference. I’ve never been happy with their response. Where do I stand with this. The one they use to demo in the shop is fine.

You didn’t cause the sub-platter to warp by moving house. Stand on your dig and demand a replacement sub-platter.

Yep common problem with Rega turntables. I had an old Planar 3 from the Eighties with the same problem. A 5mm wobble would be clearly audible as an unstable pitch, like a badly warped record. Get a replacement sub platter or buy an aftermarket upgrade. It's a popular upgrade for Regas......... 

5 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Hi all, 

Both those responses are crap. If its under warranty, take it back and get them to remedy the problem.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this