Audible Physics full range spheres

Steever

I recently received a pair of Audible Physics’ new RG100.6 wide range 4” drivers.

IMG_8862.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

I had thought of putting them into my car in pod spheres on the A-pillars but, they need at least 1.5L (sealed) to work properly. Not conducive to a “discrete” A-pillar build-out.

So, I decided to make something up for a bedroom/office at home.

I very much like what spherical enclosures do for sound and so, settled on a simple full range design using IKEA bowls.

IMG_8863.jpg

Not original (check out Google) but it saves me a lot of time and effort otherwise.

I decided on a ported design and although the spheres will give me far more than the 3L internal volume required, I have room for ballast and internal bracing.

Ports are to be 36x160mm and I have some double flare, dimpled ones coming - thank you EBay.

As you can see, these drivers do have a rising response on axis but plot quite flat when faced straight out from rear walls. Advice suggests baffle step correction may not be required in these enclosures unless I prefer a more on-axis toe in. I know of a network with -3dB correction but, I’ll see how things go wired directly first.

I made up some 38mm ply bracing which will be used to glue/screw the two hemispheres of the pods to.

IMG_8866.jpg

Additional 19mm bracing will be applied on the other axis at 90° for strength.

Tonight I rebated one of the pods for its driver. It’ll sit flush with a large 100% wool felt ring around each driver.

The same felt will be used internally over some Dynamat style constrained layer damping material.

Heavy five-way binding posts will be used and I will be making an unusual wood frame tripod equivalent cradle for each sphere for shelf mounting.

Finish will be black gloss.

The system planned is Tidal Hifi (streamed and offline) from my iPhone > Audioquest Dragonfly Red > Chinese mini valve amp of some kind > speakers.

Speaker cabling will be Nordost 2Flat and I am yet to source a decent mini phono cable.

More as progress is made...

• Like 4

Guest Hensa

Very cool, Winno. They already look excellent with the timber finish! Should look very smart in piano black.

Edited by Hensa

59 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Looks cool! 

You will definitely have 'baffle step loss'     (why wouldn't you?!)

That's what I thought too. Someone else who designed a slot-ported enclosure for the same drivers has used compensation with good results.

The designer of the driver has suggested however, I try without correction first to see how I go, only then adding a network if I feel the need. 

Watch this space...

Edited by Winno
  • Like 2