? For Chord DAC Gurus

50 minutes ago, buddyev said:

I don’t want to compromise too much but an all in one high quality cdp/streamer/dac/ might be an option, 

Why not something like a Node Vault or a Digibit Aria  Piccolo Music Server 2TB HDD +DAC ?

A friend of ours has just got one of the latter and the former is no slouch. You've done away with your physical book library so ditch the CD one as well.

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Why not something like a Node Vault or a Digibit Aria  Piccolo Music Server 2TB HDD +DAC ?

A friend of ours has just got one of the latter and the former is no slouch. You've done away with your physical book library so ditch the CD one as well.

Nah, a node wouldn’t be  much better than what I’ve got. 

Getting to cd standard with computer audio is a bit of a pain so i want it to remain second fiddle in my study. Besides, I like CDs, and not just for SQ - it’s too easy to lose track of stuff with files - you spread your listening too thin.

Edited by buddyev

Guest Sime
10 minutes ago, buddyev said:

it’s too easy to lose track of stuff with files

Couldn’t agree more. 

2 hours ago, buddyev said:

I’ll be interested in your progress - I have the Elektra pre, also recently given the treatment over by the master. 

I agreed to buy gat’s stands in the classifieds but then bought some new speakers before picking them up. I thought it was only right to go though with the deal anyway, but when I got there he said  you wanted them - so I thought win/win - I didn’t have to buy stands I didn’t need and  you get the stands you want. Poor b&gger will never get rid of them!

All good buddy.   Gat and I go way back career-wise.   No drama's at his end.   He diagnosed the issue with the Elektra for me.

Regards Cazzesman

I think I had an epiphany but not sure.   I just realised I have some short 2 metre lengths of good quality 75 ohm coaxial cable ended with BNC connectors.   Left over from various video installations.

Can I use such a cable for the link between the Mutec and the Hugo TT.  All my research says yes.    What say you all?    It is RG59 double shielded cable.

Regards Cazzesman

Guest Sime

I’m using a Clearer Audio Silverline 75 RCA-BNC cable, no adapters.  

8782CE55-1ED0-4F41-AC90-5A5003BD9C65.jpeg

Edited by Sime

Ouch, some serious $ with that cable.

I now feel like laughing since I found a cable to try.    Under $15 I presume.    RG-59U coaxial 75ohm with BNC both ends.   A left over video cable from Foxtel or similar.

Anywho I plugged it into the Mutec and TT.   No problems, let there be music.    Via the TT remote I was able to swap from Coax to Optical instantly.    Optical still won the day.  Coax slightly more grainy and lacking the same deft touch of the optical.    Yes I know the Coax is somewhat of an old shitter cable but you work with what you have. ?

Having said that, you know when you stereo is sounding good when you simply can't drag yourself out of the chair because you just want to listen to 'One more track'.

then another then another and before you know it the morning is shot.    The TT is a very, very nice bit of kit.   Mitch from Chord UK tells me the TT2 will be out in 3 or 4 months.      So I would like all you current TT owners to PM me when you want to upgrade, please. ?

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cazzesman said:

Nice Get!!!!!!!    Tell him I have a nice 1/2 acre block of swap land I am trying to sell. ?

Regards Cazzesman

Heehee, I couldn't get it back out of him either, another went to, I think @rocky500 who might have then shifted it to @oceangreen17 who also wouldn't part with his, haha.

A blessing as when I got the PS Audio P3, I had to shift the device requiring the digital cable (Uniti Core) somewhere else which resulted in an order going in for a 2m Silverline Optimus to make it to the Meridian, brand spankers, just under 1k delivered. Cazzy, you could get a 1m jobbie for a bit over $500, they are a fantastic addition as a digital cable, you wont regret it. Tell the Mrs you'll go her halves for your b-day. ;) 

Not a fan of adaptors.

Was recently talking to an SNA member about their BNC-BNC Chord Tuned Array IC, maybe put up a WTB and see if he bites? 600-700 bucks. Was 3k new. I need BNC to RCA.

I might like some swamp, it would be a change from hillside clay.

ITS MY SWAMP!!!!!!! :D 

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

@Darren69 I already have 2 x $500 spent on other items.   Whilst on a recent trip to Tokyo I tried a Chord Mojo with my Ibasso DX80 DAP and it blew me away.   I am buying one tomorrow.     

I have an order in for the updated version of the HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply that is just about to be released.    So I think my birthday presents are taken care of until about 2022 ?

My trusty Optical Cable will have to do for time being.    I would love to get a loan of a BNC Coaxial of some regard to try against the Optical Cable once the Elektra comes back from the shop.

Regards Cazzesman

@cazzesman I have a Stereovox XV2, BNC- BNC, with RCA adapters if you need them. Probably not the last word but a good midlevel cable I think. 

I’m not using it at the moment so you can have it for a week or two if you like. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

@Darren69 I already have 2 x $500 spent on other items.   Whilst on a recent trip to Tokyo I tried a Chord Mojo with my Ibasso DX80 DAP and it blew me away.   I am buying one tomorrow.     

I have an order in for the updated version of the HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply that is just about to be released.    So I think my birthday presents are taken care of until about 2022 ?

My trusty Optical Cable will have to do for time being.    I would love to get a loan of a BNC Coaxial of some regard to try against the Optical Cable once the Elektra comes back from the shop.

Regards Cazzesman

Here I was worrying about you, haha, that all sounds awesome.

It would be very interesting to hear your thoughts re- coax vs optical, the jury seems to remain out regarding wire vs glass. Audiophiles claim to hear a difference, I don't know if I ever could but as mentioned elsewhere, am starting to doubt my hearing, I don't think I can hear what the 'philes hear.

20 hours ago, buddyev said:

Nah, a node wouldn’t be  much better than what I’ve got. 

Getting to cd standard with computer audio is a bit of a pain so i want it to remain second fiddle in my study. Besides, I like CDs, and not just for SQ - it’s too easy to lose track of stuff with files - you spread your listening too thin.

Dunno if you have been following this dinosaurs remonstrations in the Naim Uniti Core thread, am currently ripping my collection, it's actually working OK.

Have still not really ever got along with downloads, well not to date. Maybe in another decade or so when they are about to be replaced by the next best format...

15 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Dunno if you have been following this dinosaurs remonstrations in the Naim Uniti Core thread, am currently ripping my collection, it's actually working OK.

Have still not really ever got along with downloads, well not to date. Maybe in another decade or so when they are about to be replaced by the next best format...

Yes, pretty much all my collection is ripped CDs which I stream into the lounge, but in my study I just like flipping through the collection and slotting one in. To be honest even with my humble and much derided airport express>synchromesh> Metrum Octave its pretty close to my CDP and unless I’m in furrowed brow mode I’m quite happy with it. But it’s all up for review - Im planning to compare chord qutest/and ?transport with a marantz sa14. 

Wheres your thread?

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly wouldn’t mind trying one in my system. I like the look too. 

I’d also like to hear Soulotion, DCS, EMM Labs and possibly the Meridian Ultra Dac but unlikely to happen this year. I need to work out a way to claim my stereo purchases as a tax deduction. 

Enjoy your Chord.

3 hours ago, frankn said:

I certainly wouldn’t mind trying one in my system. I like the look too. 

I’d also like to hear Soulotion, DCS, EMM Labs and possibly the Meridian Ultra Dac but unlikely to happen this year. I need to work out a way to claim my stereo purchases as a tax deduction. 

Enjoy your Chord.

Become a music/ audio equipment reviewer.

become an audio equipment- music label importer.

you can then claim everything, equipment, software, recorded music, trips overseas, local travel when related to clients, all sorts of business expenses, you just have to make a profit, pay your taxes whatever they are and then claim back, it only becomes a problem if you claim back without selling or generating anything.

1 hour ago, frankn said:

I was mulling that over. 

The business build time required for a hifi business means you need to have alternative income streams in order to survive, have minimal overheads, don't owe anyone and buy well, sell well. Good luck.