Hi, could anyone please assist in this. I am trying to setup a friends Iphone connection to his new amp (cambridge cxa80). We currently have it setup via bluetooth, but the sound quality is obviously not great in this mode. All his music is on the Iphone, and he does not run a computer with it. He basically just has the Iphone, amp, and a wifi connection.
Is the apple Airport express the ideal solution? Can you stream via wifi to the airport express, and the connect that digitally to the amp? Or does the aex require configuring and/or a computer connection?

Thanks for that. So he would need to get a USB cable in to the square shaped usb obviously that feeds in to the amp. The iphone can send digital music out to the amp then?

I think wireless will be more ideal in his situation. So Airport Express seems like the best solution. Is it as simple as plugging in to the receiver, and "detecting" it on the Iphone?

Edited by Andre28

OK I also assumed that the Airplay was sold as its own device, but that is not the case? I need something like the apple tv that supports Airplay? Is there something cheaper or just for audio?

edit: Ok ok im confusing myself. The Airport Express is what I was originally talking about. guh

Edited by Andre28
  • Like 1

Guest Sime

Setup up the Airport. 

Plug the Optical into amp 

Select the Airport in the list pictured below

press play ?

5AFE2769-3DAA-4DB9-B5FB-8DACD100E13A.png

Setup up the Airport. 
Plug the Optical into amp 
Select the Airport in the list pictured below
press play [emoji106]

Sime, that is the 3.5mm optical isn’t it? Not toslink?

Other option is an Apple TV version 2 with toslink both ends. They will be pretty cheap.

This is what we often do.  It’s a “camera adapter” from Apple (the white bit). Be careful - aftermarket stuff just doesn’t tend to work.  The Apple one is about $35. This also allows for continuous phone charging (the white block has a USB and a light night charge port). So you can even use an old phone or iPad permanently in this role, and control from an iPad or other iPhone.

This then runs via a filter (jitterbug) and then a USB dac (ours is a DragonflyRed).  Then onto the amp via the phone jack on the dac to rca’s to amp.

It all sounds pretty damn good.  You can also take it with you. When you’re out!

mat

AFC7B1A5-0906-491C-8FA3-50A68FDCA233.jpeg

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Man I can’t believed this worked too!

thought I’d see if I can use the phone on the Ethernet for a faster signal rather than wifi, and it actually worked.

So the path now is:

smashed up iPhone 6s > Apple “camera adapter” cable (lightning to USB with a charge port to keep phone charged) > USB 4 way splitter > 

> one USB to jitterbug>Gustard u10>Dac via spdif

> the other USB (off splitter) > Apple “USB to Ethernet” cable >Ethernet switch>modem via cat6

C9DF1362-65AA-4A50-B143-4CB2AB33B170.jpeg

23 hours ago, groovem said:

You can also get a Lightning Dock from the Apple Store https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MGRM2AM/A/iphone-lightning-dock-white?fnode=85&fs=f%3Ddock%26fh%3D459d%2B45e3 for $59.00. It has a 3.5mm audio port which could connect direct to the receiver. 

If you're happy with the DAC in the dock you could also get the $12 Lightning to headphone adapter. I would guess that it uses the same DAC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steffen said:

If you're happy with the DAC in the dock you could also get the $12 Lightning to headphone adapter. I would guess that it uses the same DAC.

Good idea, I use this at home when using the phone. The Lightning to Headphone adapter is supposed to be a decent DAC.

Must set up the Airport Express again though as it’s wireless ?

SS

In my case it was simply utilising a :dead" phone - the screen is smashed and the case is coming apart and can't be fixed.  Thus, It'll never be used as a "phone".  Thus, I thought I'd see how to best utilise it as a streaming device for Spotify.  Sounds pretty damn good via the DAC in my Denon DCD3000, has a stable ethernet connection, can be left on, charged, and tucked out of sight......

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

If only you guys had an iPhone 4 or 5,  beats that dongle with a dac for the 7

Would prefer an inbuilt DAC but the boss bought me an iPhone 7 without one... the dongle sounds ok even if it is a bit of a pain.

Regards,

SS

1 hour ago, Sub Sonic said:

Would prefer an inbuilt DAC but the boss bought me an iPhone 7 without one... the dongle sounds ok even if it is a bit of a pain.

Regards,

SS

A Dragonfly red on an Apple “camera connector” sounds great....

see my top pic

has added usefulness as a portable unit, so I use it a lot on planes with my iPad for music.....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

6 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

A Dragonfly red on an Apple “camera connector” sounds great....

see my top pic

has added usefulness as a portable unit, so I use it a lot on planes with my iPad for music.....

Funny you say that, I only recently inherited an Apple camera adapter, which should be good to use with my Resonessence Herus DAC ?

Cheers,

SS

1 hour ago, Sub Sonic said:

Funny you say that, I only recently inherited an Apple camera adapter, which should be good to use with my Resonessence Herus DAC ?

Cheers,

SS

Certainly! Also suggest going via a jitterbug or similar filter, and a proper USB>spdif converter.  I got a Gustard u10 off the forums here for $20 I think.....

• Like 1