Headphone drivers

Hi Trevor,

Addicted 2 Audio represent lots of brands.  You could ask them for the cost of a couple of drivers.  Something like the drivers for Sennheiser HD600 or similar.  They may have some replacements in stock or would be able to order them from you.

Some sites like SuperBestAudioFriends or Head-fi and diyaudio have threads with links to some diy headphone attempts and some drivers that are supposed to be quite good.  I think most of these were sourced from Ali baba and are just a few dollars each.

Good luck, sounds like fun.  He could 3d print some parts and make something really interesting.

He might become another Dan Clark (Mr Speakers who started his very successful business modding Fostex planar headphones) or Fang Biang from HiFiMan.

LPG

I know of Grado replicas that apparently, are bang for buck and can look quite nice.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/build-own-grado-tutorial/

http://www.nhoord.com/explore/2016/8/26/how-to-build-your-own-headphones

Between these two, you'll find at least three makers of decent drivers. Also consider buying the drivers direct from Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic as they sell replacements for their headphones.

Edited by Mungbean66
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
On 28/05/2018 at 8:18 AM, Lansche plasma guy said:

Good luck, sounds like fun.  He could 3d print some parts and make something really interesting.

Thanks Bryan 

Yes he’s keen to fire up the 3d printer. He loves it (just printed an adapter to attach a camera to his telescope. Quite a talented lad even if I do say so myself!)

• Like 2

• Volunteer
On 28/05/2018 at 10:24 AM, Sub Sonic said:

Another option might be WES Components -  they have a Peerless headphone driver at a very reasonable cost, although I don't know what they are like.

Peerless HP Driver.PNG

WES seems to require you to sign up as a company before you can see or buy anything?

5 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

WES seems to require you to sign up as a company before you can see or buy anything?

We have a company account so you might be correct... doesn’t help you though I guess... the drivers in the post above are around the $10-$15 mark from memory.

Regards,

SS

Building your own custom headphone is a very satisfying endeavour, I once wanted to turn my own wooden cups to mod my Grado headphones.

Another option would be to buy a whole headphone and modify to your liking, a good candidate is a pair of Fostex T50rp.

If he just want the drivers I think Beyerdynamic is also another option.

• 1 year later...

I have used Dayton Audio CE38MB-32 drivers with good results (after a bit of modification). They are cheap and easy to get too.

I’ve published my 3D printed headphone design at homebrewheadphones.com along with the mods to make the drivers sound good.

Edited by Shanster