Receiver choice help

Hi All,

1st post - so Hello :)

50/50 Music/Movies

I have been looking at a PMC speaker setup, either GB1's or FB1i's, TB2ic and possible the TLE1S to help with movies..

Now I have looked at a couple of receivers, in no particular order:

Pioneer LX53 (better version of the VSX-1020, but with preouts + more crap..)

Denon 2311 or 3311 (Does the CI version mean anything or are the all CI???)

Integra DTR-40.2

Unfortunately the new line of Denon's are no longer made in Japan, the 2311/3311 are both made in China :) Pioneer/Integra are both made in Malaysia..

Pretty similar THD's/stats etc

Can anyone offer any insight into which will yield the best SQ with the PMC's?

The only reason I am liking the Pioneer, its because I think its the most aesthetically pleasing... But that is secondary to good SQ/features..

Any advice will be very helpful...

Cheers

D.

Hard choice, with a 50/50 mix as the Denon is more msuical and in general the Pioneer a little forward which lends itself to be great for movies. Can't comment on the Integra, never owned one and not really up on the current thoughts on them. I was looking at similar choices just a couple of weeks back and I went a different route with a sep AV processor (pre/pro) and a sep multi channel amp both devices from Emotiva, so for $2k I now have a true 200wpc amp with all channels driven and a sep processor for the audio/video duties. What I was using prior was a Pioneer VSX-AX2ASS as my pre/pro with some pro type amps and I personally find the sound quality in music to be far better in a big way and movies have also improved with better channel separation.

Also welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your time here and hide your wallet lol or it'll always be out once you start.

hrmm - apparently the Denon 4311 is made in Japan... it also has a few features which the yanks seem to be loving... pre/pro amp disable (but not per channel) and 32point EQ... But I would assume this model will be 2k+...

Hrmm getting a bit annoyed with the choice now :)

hrmm - apparently the Denon 4311 is made in Japan... it also has a few features which the yanks seem to be loving... pre/pro amp disable (but not per channel) and 32point EQ... But I would assume this model will be 2k+...

Hrmm getting a bit annoyed with the choice now :)

$2999 I believe. Looks very interesting. Must ....... not ........ buy. .......... MUST ............. NOT.

I would'nt get too caught up in the place of manufacture tephra , I think it has been mentioned before the robots in China are the same as the robots in

Malaysia are the same as the robots used in Japan.

Features are your key.

• 2 weeks later...

good advice... argh - sorry too many forums to keep track of ;)

well my speakers will be coming in the next week or so (probably 2), and I need a receiver when they arrive..

the 4311 isn't going to be out until november supposedly.. so i need some sort of loaner until then ...

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find the 4311 is more like $4K.

Last week I picked up a run out 4310 for $2.5K. I would somewhat agree about the sound. It is not as exciting as my old Marantz 7300OSE although the new box only has 3 hours on it so I will give it and my ears a while to run in. I am using a CA200 for the front two channels. Its probably on par with my old Marantz overall but I am still evaluating it.

nah Denon have reduced costs for the xx11 series across the board...

CarltonAV have already given me a price of $2650 when it comes in...

they have given me a loaner 1910 and the sound is pretty average.. not great.. not to sure if thats my source (htpc playing FLAC's over HDMI) thou...?

ha ha ha. Oh well. So much for my bargain. $4k was always a stupid price for the 4310. Glad I got them down to $2500 or I would have paid more than you are for the newer model with all the extras. To be honest though I wouldn't have used them (fortunately, otherwise I really would be annoyed).

:)

well im going to go walk to CAV this week and get their feelings on how much better the 4311 will be compared to the 1910...

if its not a going to be a big upgrade in terms of SQ then I might have to change my mind on Denon... maybe just get the Arcam :)

ok so I might as well update the thread :)

I had a look at the audyssey EQ curve and it had applied -6db to 63hz and -3.5 to the next hz up (120ish)

so I increased that a bit (or lowered depending on your definition) and now the sound is much fuller.. So I am a happier with the 1910..

its not perfect, but it has given me some confidence in the Denon line so I will still pursue the 4311 ;)

For what it's worth, I've just bought a Yamaha RX-V3900 at the close out price of $1700 which is a good price for a really great receiver. I bought this on the recommendation of a mate who bought one first. He was using a Denon 4310 but says the Yamaha absolutely smokes it in every way! Of course, YMMV!