Acension Timberwolf 2103 thin in 'Pure' music mode.

Hello all - I currently own the Ascension Timberwolf 2103 fronts.  I have had them for a while now - Was looking for some feedback on how others find the 2 channel performance of these speakers for music? with my Denon 3313 amp in 'Pure' mode the sound is thin and has almost no bass.  After room calibration the sound transforms somewhat - could they be this reliant on equalisation or is there potentially something wrong with them?   I had thought that with twin 10 inch drivers I wouldn't need a sub, but it certainly needs it.   

I am getting back into music a bit more as the kids get older, and I am thinking of swapping them for some VAF i91s matted with a decent Sub - would the i91s provide a better experience for music?

I am open to all opinions, and I have no ego to damage, so please give to me :)

Almost no bass seems a bit weird for the specs of your speaker

Frequency Response: 22 -- 30,000 Hertz +/-2dB with gradual roll-off giving usable response to low 20s.
Sensitivity: 92 dB 2.83V/1m

Could be where you are sitting happens to be a null in the bass. (bass in cancelling out)

Try moving around the room to see if the bass changes from where you are in the room.

If it does you try moving the speakers backward or forward from their current position.

Do your speakers have 4 connectors or just 2 connectors per speaker? If 4, is there a link connecting each of the 2 connectors on the speaker.

Have you setup a sub setting in the Denon menu's. Running the front speakers as large?

Edited by rocky500

25 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Have you setup a sub setting in the Denon menu's. Running the front speakers as large?

I think this would be bypassed in 'Pure' mode though?

I have seen AVR's get confused with their settings. Had ones the past I have had to a complete reset (factory default) and put all my settings back in again to fix a glitch or 2.

If not already try setting the front speakers as large and no sub and see how it goes as a test.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rocky500 said:

Almost no bass seems a bit weird for the specs of your speaker

Frequency Response: 22 -- 30,000 Hertz +/-2dB with gradual roll-off giving usable response to low 20s.
Sensitivity: 92 dB 2.83V/1m

Could be where you are sitting happens to be a null in the bass. (bass in cancelling out)

Try moving around the room to see if the bass changes from where you are in the room.

If it does you try moving the speakers backward or forward from their current position.

Do your speakers have 4 connectors or just 2 connectors per speaker? If 4, is there a link connecting each of the 2 connectors on the speaker.

- Null zone could be a possibility, and something I will experiment with.    The other thing I noticed in 2 channel mode was that unless the speakers are toed in the imaging is nill - this is not something I noticed with my old DCX speakers. 

- The speakers only have two connectors.

- I have played with the sub settings, and have tried various combo's of Large+no sub, Large+sub, Small+sub etc...

8 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I have seen AVR's get confused with their settings. Had ones the past I have had to a complete reset (factory default) and put all my settings back in again to fix a glitch or 2.

If not already try setting the front speakers as large and no sub and see how it goes as a test.

I will try resetting it - good tip!

So I did a complete reset, and also removed the sub.  I then re-did the room calibration, and largely found the issues have now gone away.    There does also appear to be some bass dead spots in the room.

Thanks for the help rocky :)

• Like 1

I’d double check the polarity of the main speakers and associated cabling. The symptoms you mentioned earlier sound like a classic out-of-phase speaker issue, no bass and no imaging.

Regards,

SS

56 minutes ago, Tim O'Connor said:

So I did a complete reset, and also removed the sub.  I then re-did the room calibration, and largely found the issues have now gone away.    There does also appear to be some bass dead spots in the room.

Thanks for the help rocky :)

Could be where you have placed the sub that when it is on, it cancels out the bass at the listening position. Though you would think in Pure mode, the sub would be disabled.

If possible try the sub in other locations.

Could also be a setting you may put into the AVR.

As you change settings listen to see if the bass changes and you might come across a setting that effects it.