Sign in to follow this  

OK, Just over a week in and I can say that  I'm loving the AV8805.    

Sound Quality:     I think new owners will  be very happy with the sound of the AV8805.   I am using balanced XLR out  and  the XLR outputs have been well executed on the Marantz  ( since the AV8802) using a discrete circuit as part of their HDAM implementation.     The noise floor is very low so the background  is dead quiet allowing for all the nuances and details to be heard .    About one week in, the sound stage is opening up noticeably and movie presentation is being delivered on a grander scale.     Of course there are so many parameters to play with and tweaking continues to improve things.   The execution of the audio codecs seems flawless and the sound-steering  speed and accuracy  is first class.  In terms of the underlying timbre of the preamp, I  didn't know what to expect but I have been pleasantly surprised - particularly  given the newness of the unit.   I would best describe the timbre of voices and music as  natural and perhaps organic - not in a tubey way though.

Having done the initial Audyssey calibration, I am planning to add more profiles to the app.     No DSP is perfect and variables change according to a number of factors , and besides with the Audyssey app its just too easy.    Each profile is easily uploaded to the AV8805 at any time by  taping the export icon. You can pause a movie and do it on the fly if you want. 

IMG_0286.thumb.PNG.9d2f4e9ec3abb88c2ebe4ddd3be19a46.PNG

Music

I have a separate Hifi system  which is not situated  in the dedicated theatre room and have rarely listened to music in the theatre. I think it was more of a convenience thing - I was all set up upstairs and too much hassle  to play music on a system optimised for movies.   Well,  Heos changed all that.   Without me having to do anything other than download the app, I am able to access my  Hi-Res digital library , play it through the AV8805 and access setting  optimised for stereo listening all from the Heos app.   My wife has discovered this too and  it get a lot of use.    This is the first screen that opens on the  app.  Notice the integration with  the Marantz AVR app.   Apologies to those already familiar with  Heos.

IMG_0285.thumb.PNG.06f91f6c82d6c8f26a69b099a31ced2c.PNG

In my case I just tap on music servers  and  the software does the rest.    Anyone who has digital music  and no server can just run  some basic server software to make the music visible by Heos and let the app do the rest.    Volume, sound mode etc can be adjusted from the app.

IMG_020CE2516E2A-1.thumb.jpeg.69b2adc8bcfee2b909432732df9c8646.jpeg

Heos vs USB vs SACD

The AV8805 will accept Hi-res music via Heos , Airplay  and USB  but Marantz does not specify whether DSD is converted to PCM first.  DSD is  displayed as a source in Heos, Marantz app and on  AV8805 screen but the DSD indicator only lights up with SACD.  I used Oppo 203 playing   SACD over HDMI.   

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.6b0d48dea7e4a91e7dad61403fde11a9.JPG

IMG_0283.thumb.jpg.abdc3d2c73d796218ebf451d0c2e5bcb.jpg

Sound quality wise, SACD via Oppo sounded a bit better overall  but Heos sounds so wonderful and it's so close  its nit worth worrying about  . I wasn't enamoured by the USB interaction - its fiddly and I preferred Heos sound 

For those using iTunes  or aAirplay enabled devices, AV8805 will automatically show up as an option  for Airplay  streaming.

1982577601_ScreenShot2018-08-01at9_35_13am.png.26094b89b6d0e2448d80cb8fb56a67c0.png

8 hours ago, :) al said:

@Tasso  good to see got rid fo the mid range compensation in the audyssey curve :) 

Doing more tweaks than that  with Audyssey at the moment .    It does an outstanding job but fine tuning gets you home I think.

On 01/08/2018 at 1:32 PM, :) al said:

@Tasso  good to see got rid fo the mid range compensation in the audyssey curve :) 

What's the reasoning behind removing mid-range compensation? Any references or links you could point me to?

17 minutes ago, deafenears said:

What's the reasoning behind removing mid-range compensation? Any references or links you could point me to?

so you dont have a mid range suck out. exactly in the critical vocal zone. but if you want that suck out ...by all means leave it in :D 

with audyssey pro its one of THE best things done

It seems that Audyssey designers have  tried to compensate  for  what they see as a midrange 'bloom" produced  off axis by some speakers at round 2khz (around the the crossover point).  I think you can tell if your speakers have this problem and as  @:) al has mentioned , the "correction" can actually create more problems than its trying to solve.  The sound improved when I removed the dip in my setup.

In terms of bass, Audyssey  has its limitations too, particularly where their can be a dropout.  On the same day my PJ was being calibrated,  the calibrator ( Andrew Poole) also spent  2-3 hours measuring my room acoustics and trying out a few things.  There was a massive hole  at around 30 hz  at the listening position .  I have just made upgrades to  my HT system and changed the layout so I was nowhere near having it perfect , but even so, the degree of the bass hole was a surprise given the seemingly great sound that I was getting.   The solution was  swift and very effective.  Andrew ,  simply moved one of my subs to a position he had calculated would get rid of the "bass hole"  and it worked.   Bass response curve came back in as flat as you could want ,   the entire sound of the system has improved exponentially and I'm pretty happy at the moment.     I have since re-run Audyssey to account for all this new found bass energy,  manually adjusted it again to get it to Andrew's calibrated settings and all is right with the world.    

Edited by Tasso

11 hours ago, :) al said:

so you dont have a mid range suck out. exactly in the critical vocal zone. but if you want that suck out ...by all means leave it in :D 

with audyssey pro its one of THE best things done

Ah, thanks!

Found some more materials online, mostly seems to be based on research done 40 years ago.

Fortunately adjusting Audyssey is dead easy with the app.  You don't need  the display on and you don't even need to be in the same room.   Here are  some screenshots.  First is option screen - just tap on the parameter you want to view or adjust.

IMG_0305.thumb.PNG.83c3c534610a4e0f98d3613e0ba490b4.PNG

This one gives you an option on HF roll curves.  Curves are further adjustable with the curve editor.

IMG_0306.thumb.PNG.d27725a019324702f02cb9a4446021d4.PNG

The midrange compensation editor.  You can turn the compensation on or off for each speaker.

IMG_0307.thumb.PNG.4ebbfd882b595242acbd5b0e4685f698.PNG

The  Audyssey app  does all the calculations ( including the initial setup with Mic if performed  with the app) and stores data on your iOS or Android device.  It does not send Audyssey  information to the AV8805 until you instruct it to.  You can also transfer data between devices - I have done this with iPhone and iPad.   My understanding is that the AV8805 can only store 1 profile at a time - I haven't tested it though , but there is no limit on the portable device. 

IMG_712D599911FE-1.thumb.jpeg.4a204095572ce03f499b71adadf33a36.jpeg

Edited by Tasso

My one came in yesterday.
Took a little time to set it all up. Got to say, the Marantz interface is very user friendly and intuitive to get all the things set up. Even a beginner will have no issues getting everything right.
Went through the Audessey calibration (via the purchased app on Google), very happy with the calibration process and it seems to do a great job in optimising the acoustic of my room.
The surround sound (non atmos) was fantastic already, the sound seem to naturally envelope me even in several different seating positions, this is a new sensation to me and I would imagine it is probably down to the great calibration software.
First impression, sound was very detailed and I can pick up a lot more subtlety in all the channels throughout the movie.
However, I did notice the sound (especially the vocal) was slightly leaner than my Audiocontrol unit. It seems to lack a bit of "meat" in the voice, might need to do further tweaking to improve it a bit.
Overall, happy so far in terms of movie experience. Will need to get my atmos setup to really take advantage of the unit.
But I think it will benefit from further tweaking and burning in.

20180822_185232.jpg.3f507d5d62724ecf97704dc7b53d6fb9.jpg

Edited by cyberkank

A quick update on the Marantz 8805, it seems that the unit does settle down after a week or two the sound is a bit more meaty and not as lean anymore. 

I have also made minor tweaked to the initial Audessey calibration (like Tasso said earlier, the auto calibration get you 90% there, but the final 10% you have to fiddle to optimize for your own ears). 

One thing that is worth mentioning is the "Cinema EQ" function. I found that to be very useful in my case as it tames a lot of glares that can come from certain scenes in the movies previously that can be ear piercing. Now it sounds a lot more like the cinema experience, much more natural. Don't really know if this function also affects the "Stereo" or not.

My 8805 has definitely picked up the pace with a good number of hours under its belt.  Its a keeper!

Edited by Tasso

On 07/09/2018 at 7:42 AM, cyberkank said:

"Cinema EQ" function. I found that to be very useful in my case as it tames a lot of glares that can come from certain scenes in the movies previously that can be ear piercing.

The Cinema EQ function was originally designed to compensate for movie  sound tracks that had extra treble bias added so that the sound would appear normal and not dull, in large theatres full of people.  In home theatre situations it could sound glaring.  I am not sure  if all movies are done the same way these days but in any event, the Cine-eq function on the 8805 does seem to  improve the sound nicely.