Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

By the way folks, back to Marantz AV8805, I will try to find one to demo it preferably in my oven setup. But like many of you here claimed that the 8805 doesn’t sound any better than the 8802 I’ve had a chance to demo in my own system few yrs back, I will try to re-configure my rack space in order to accommodate for a very good high end dedicated stereo pre with HT bypass. So I would be using the 8805 for movies (HT) and a dedicated stereo pre for music. 

As of now I just don’t have the room for a separate dedicated 2ch pre. or another option would be to sell my power amp and look for a very good high end stereo integrated amp with HT bypass feature to power the front LR speakers and to use for 2ch music playbacks and get a multi-channel amp to power the center & surround speakers. 

1 hour ago, Dilatante said:

I figured they were since they get mentioned here a lot. Are they quite reasonably priced? Cheaper than Mac or Classe or Pass or Levinson and the likes? 

Good balance of sound quality and build(good components and engineering) vs price. Being made locally helps as there aren’t the usually middle men bumping up the price, no marketing sales or importers, distribution and parts/repairer networks to support.

these are all things makes brands you mention cost twice here what retail for in the states. Elektra would be poor value quite Likely also  in the states if had to be sold there with all the markups it would need to get there.

not sure really playing in the same field as big daddy levinson, mac or classe. Think more Bryston parasound halo, which compare well in build and sound quality when have compared here. Unfortunately those brands also cost here twice what should !

very good basic topology design and reminds me a bit of the Rotel RB-1582 Mk ii stereo amp.

good step up from rotel in detail, clarity, and bass control. Rotel do make good honest amps though. Well made and priced competitively here. Suits well too some brand speakers and tastes.

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

Good balance of sound quality and build(good components and engineering) vs price. Being made locally helps as there aren’t the usually middle men bumping up the price, no marketing sales or importers, distribution and parts/repairer networks to support.

these are all things makes brands you mention cost twice here what retail for in the states. Electra would be poor value quite Likely also  in the states if had to be sold there with all the markups it would need to get there.

not sure really playing in the same field as big daddy levinson, mac or classe. Think more Bryston parasound halo, which compare well in build and sound quality when have compared here. Unfortunately those brands also cost here twice what should !

good step up from rotel in detail, clarity, and bass control. Rotel do make good honest amps though. Well made and priced competitively here. Suits well too some brand speakers and tastes.

I bet the Electra would have costed twice as much here as they do in their home country (Aust) had they made it here in the States. But those Mac, Levinson, Pass, Krell are manufactured locally too here in the US but the parts/components eg transistors, caps, etc came from everywhere and bulks of them I bet came from China or Taiwan and perhaps Japan or S Korea as well. The new latest Classe Delta series gears are different story, they are made in Japan but designed & engineered in Montreal, Canada since they are Canadian not American. The older Classe Delta & Omega series gears were made in Montreal, Canada. 

Re Rotel, yes they make ver6 honest gears and priced very reasonably here as well. They have great price/performance ratio. But yes I agree that the current Rotel 15xx series amps lack a bit in details, resolution & transparency, they are warm, smooth sounding amps quite musical. they sound very fluid and liquid which is suitable for music but lacking a bit in details resolution & transparency. And they are very affordable here in the States as they are made in China but designed & engineered in the UK with some parts being imported from there but are assembled in China. 

Have you got a chance to demo some Michi gears? Heard great stuff from people who have heard them. Their build quality is top notch and according to one reviewer (SoundstageUltra.com / SoundstageAccess.com) the Michi gears are better built than those new latest Classe Delta series gears and are priced quite a bit lower than those new Classe Delta series gears. but he claimed that the new Classe Delta series gears sounded better as he has recently reviewed both and ended up purchasing the new Classe Delta Mono monoblock amps with their matching Classe Delta Pre stereo preamp and sold his Simaudio Moon Evolution monoblock amps and his ARC Ref 6 vacuum tube linestage pre. 

Edited by Dilatante
  • Like 1

By the way folks, back to Marantz AV8805, I will try to find one to demo it preferably in my oven setup. But like many of you here claimed that the 8805 doesn’t sound any better than the 8802 I’ve had a chance to demo in my own system few yrs back, I will try to re-configure my rack space in order to accommodate for a very good high end dedicated stereo pre with HT bypass. So I would be using the 8805 for movies (HT) and a dedicated stereo pre for music. 

hi Dilatante, dont take my comments to say "doesnt sound any better" , as i clarified just a few posts ago(previous page), I have lets face it not actually done a side by side, let lone any sort of comparison to say anything bar its along similar lines. I am only being measured and cautious in my comment as to say any otherwise would be a stretch. all can comment is given what am experiencing now which to be honest now the av8805 has settled in am actually very happy with it. ive experienced in recent times some amazing sounds tracks like doctor sleep which is just about mind blowing i think ! district 9 and such. but i have to keep in context even if comparing i am running an extra height Ch (centre height) speaker too with the av8805 and loving the scale of front stage eg with concerts too have experienced eg with bohemian rhapsody or star is born. processing and such has come a long ways too... so when am talking things like denon avp-a1 as awesome as made, dont take it i want to be going back there or anything. am absolutely loving the 3D audio and processing capabilities we have now. my comments are more in lament of what if ... they indeed did an all out affair like the avp or what if we could have a more accurate calibrated mic of audyssey pro ... and such...

my comments might might also be irrelevant as am running a 13 channel setup and one to two subs which likely no real bearing on your setup either. I'd also be cautious with any comments of huge step up or anyone saying something destroys the other or anything like that. i have heard quite a few pres in my time and you are definitely talking subtleties rather than major jumps between brands and models. if any more than that would be asking why ? eg it could be like anthem that plays back 6-10db louder even if calibrated to 75db for reference ! this is kind of thing can throw folk. or it could be some brand signature which might be a preference either way between brands  ...but something like av8802a to av8805 id expect plenty of similarities in signature and the subtleties of what is better likely only discerned in close comparisons ... which are not particularly easy to do mind you ! when talking some 15-16 channels to connect disconnect, power down fire up loading media and getting projector up and such between them.

definitely check out and compare for self with what you have and that ways have your own insights and in your own context to best make decisions.

As of now I just don’t have the room for a separate dedicated 2ch pre. or another option would be to sell my power amp and look for a very good high end stereo integrated amp with HT bypass feature to power the front LR speakers and to use for 2ch music playbacks and get a multi-channel amp to power the center & surround speakers. 

its definitely and option many folk take ...

4 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

Have you got a chance to demo some Michi gears? Heard great stuff from people who have heard them. Their build quality is top notch and according to one reviewer (SoundstageUltra.com / SoundstageAccess.com) the Michi gears are better built than those new latest Classe Delta series gears and are priced quite a bit lower than those new Classe Delta series gears. but he claimed that the new Classe Delta series gears sounded better as he has recently reviewed both and ended up purchasing the new Classe Delta Mono monoblock amps with their matching Classe Delta Pre stereo preamp and sold his Simaudio Moon Evolution monoblock amps and his ARC Ref 6 vacuum tube linestage pre. 

sorry no, as much as i respect the rotel gear .... and have even demoed both amps and processors etc in my own setup. they just dont seem to gel with me / my setup. so not explored the michi...but it still got my attention it looks like fabulous gear and am sure quite excellent :) am also point i guess very happy with my pre power in the 2ch side... so when reaching that point of contentment not really looking :D i do think rotel should do some processors like they did back in the day... eg the big screen flagship 1098 they used to once do with its sophisticated plug in card. the rotels were very popular back in the day and likely still would be especially with no option from classe....

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi Dilatante, dont take my comments to say "doesnt sound any better" , as i clarified just a few posts ago(previous page), I have lets face it not actually done a side by side, let lone any sort of comparison to say anything bar its along similar lines. I am only being measured and cautious in my comment as to say any otherwise would be a stretch. all can comment is given what am experiencing now which to be honest now the av8805 has settled in am actually very happy with it. ive experienced in recent times some amazing sounds tracks like doctor sleep which is just about mind blowing i think ! district 9 and such. but i have to keep in context even if comparing i am running an extra height Ch (centre height) speaker too with the av8805 and loving the scale of front stage eg with concerts too have experienced eg with bohemian rhapsody or star is born. processing and such has come a long ways too... so when am talking things like denon avp-a1 as awesome as made, dont take it i want to be going back there or anything. am absolutely loving the 3D audio and processing capabilities we have now. my comments are more in lament of what if ... they indeed did an all out affair like the avp or what if we could have a more accurate calibrated mic of audyssey pro ... and such...

my comments might might also be irrelevant as am running a 13 channel setup and one to two subs which likely no real bearing on your setup either. I'd also be cautious with any comments of huge step up or anyone saying something destroys the other or anything like that. i have heard quite a few pres in my time and you are definitely talking subtleties rather than major jumps between brands and models. if any more than that would be asking why ? eg it could be like anthem that plays back 6-10db louder even if calibrated to 75db for reference ! this is kind of thing can throw folk. or it could be some brand signature which might be a preference either way between brands  ...but something like av8802a to av8805 id expect plenty of similarities in signature and the subtleties of what is better likely only discerned in close comparisons ... which are not particularly easy to do mind you ! when talking some 15-16 channels to connect disconnect, power down fire up loading media and getting projector up and such between them.

definitely check out and compare for self with what you have and that ways have your own insights and in your own context to best make decisions.

its definitely and option many folk take ...

Ok thanks. The best ideal option would be to get a separate dedicated 2ch pre with HT bypass or stereo integrated amp with HT bypass for music and get either the 8805 or some other processor for movies (HT). Yeah....I’m only limited to 5.1 / 5.2 setup and won’t be able to do 3D audio eg Atmos setup. that’s why I’m very content with my SSP 800 but recently started giving me minor issue, so I really want to get rid of it before it gets worse. And plus if I wait any longer to sell my SSP 800 its resale value will further plummet. That’s a drawback of all obsolete HT processors like my SSP 800, their resale values suffer. 

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

sorry no, as much as i respect the rotel gear .... and have even demoed both amps and processors etc in my own setup. they just dont seem to gel with me / my setup. so not explored the michi...but it still got my attention it looks like fabulous gear and am sure quite excellent :) am also point i guess very happy with my pre power in the 2ch side... so when reaching that point of contentment not really looking :D i do think rotel should do some processors like they did back in the day... eg the big screen flagship 1098 they used to once do with its sophisticated plug in card. the rotels were very popular back in the day and likely still would be especially with no option from classe....

Rotel imo is very well known for their amps. they make great amps for the money. Their HT processors and AVRs are very buggy and people usually avoid buying Rotel AVRs & HT processors. HDMI board issues and other software bugs that Rotel consistently fails to fix.
Their amps however are excellent and offer great values, the best bang for your buck kinda thing. 
Rumor has it that in the future Rotel probably won’t be making any more HT products (AVRs & HT processors). We’ll see I guess.

Rotel’s high end line Michi is strictly 2ch. 

11 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

Ok thanks. The best ideal option would be to get a separate dedicated 2ch pre with HT bypass or stereo integrated amp with HT bypass for music and get either the 8805 or some other processor for movies (HT). Yeah....I’m only limited to 5.1 / 5.2 setup and won’t be able to do 3D audio eg Atmos setup. that’s why I’m very content with my SSP 800 but recently started giving me minor issue, so I really want to get rid of it before it gets worse. And plus if I wait any longer to sell my SSP 800 its resale value will further plummet. That’s a drawback of all obsolete HT processors like my SSP 800, their resale values suffer. 

though i suspect the av8805 like prior marantz will still be pretty decent 2ch and music wise, this approach splits the need between 2ch and ht. while i have had decent amount years with each pre processor have owned in the last couple its inevitable the tech moves on and no need to have to upgrade both 2ch and ht side in the one go . i know what you mean re the ssp800, i have seen a few issues coming up amongst owners threads as well.  so probably best to move on while can. with resale if kept long enough and enjoyed i just look at it pragmatically of having had moneys worth and any loss is just the cost of ownership

2 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

Rotel imo is very well known for their amps. they make great amps for the money. Their HT processors and AVRs are very buggy and people usually avoid buying Rotel AVRs & HT processors. HDMI board issues and other software bugs that Rotel consistently fails to fix.
Their amps however are excellent and offer great values, the best bang for your buck kinda thing. 
Rumor has it that in the future Rotel probably won’t be making any more HT products (AVRs & HT processors). We’ll see I guess.

Rotel’s high end line Michi is strictly 2ch. 

true in current years, but wasnt issue for them back in pre hdmi days i guess .things we re a lot simpler and uncomplicated then.... lot more possibilities of issues now. i notice cambridge audio has also given up pretty much on the av side... sticking to 2ch only these days...

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

though i suspect the av8805 like prior marantz will still be pretty decent 2ch and music wise, this approach splits the need between 2ch and ht. while i have had decent amount years with each pre processor have owned in the last couple its inevitable the tech moves on and no need to have to upgrade both 2ch and ht side in the one go . i know what you mean re the ssp800, i have seen a few issues coming up amongst owners threads as well.  so probably best to move on while can. with resale if kept long enough and enjoyed i just look at it pragmatically of having had moneys worth and any loss is just the cost of ownership

When I had a take home demo of the 8802 few yrs back I felt its 2ch performance for music wasn’t on the same level as my Classe SSP 800 and/or other high end dedicated 2ch preamp offerings from Classe, Mac, ARC (Audio Research), Levinson, Pass, Naim & Linn to name a few. I felt the need for a dedicated 2ch pre with the 8802. With the SSP 800 I don’t feel the need for a good dedicated high end 2ch pre for music as it satisfies the need for both 2ch & HT. 

I’ve had the SSP 800 for almost 10 yrs now so I guess it has served me well. 

true in current years, but wasnt issue for them back in pre hdmi days i guess .things we re a lot simpler and uncomplicated then.... lot more possibilities of issues now. i notice cambridge audio has also given up pretty much on the av side... sticking to 2ch only these days...

Yup, although I’ve never owned any Rotel HT processors but heard from many who owned older Rotel HT processors (pre HDMI) in the past that many claimed they were very reliable and never had issues. 

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

When I had a take home demo of the 8802 few yrs back I felt its 2ch performance for music wasn’t on the same level as my Classe SSP 800 and/or other high end dedicated 2ch preamp offerings from Classe, Mac, ARC (Audio Research), Levinson, Pass, Naim & Linn to name a few. I felt the need for a dedicated 2ch pre with the 8802. With the SSP 800 I don’t feel the need for a good dedicated high end 2ch pre for music as it satisfies the need for both 2ch & HT. 

I’ve had the SSP 800 for almost 10 yrs now so I guess it has served me well. 

16 hours ago, betty boop said:

Yup, Cambridge Audio has given up completely on the AV side and just sticking to 2ch only. 

Edited by Dilatante

17 hours ago, Dilatante said:

When I had a take home demo of the 8802 few yrs back I felt its 2ch performance for music wasn’t on the same level as my Classe SSP 800

I’d expect that, the classe cost about 3x price of av8802. 

17 hours ago, Dilatante said:

and/or other high end dedicated 2ch preamp offerings from Classe, Mac, ARC (Audio Research), Levinson, Pass, Naim & Linn to name a few. I felt the need for a dedicated 2ch pre with the 8802

If remember in demoing with my cousin we felt the same re the ssp800 comparing with classe own dedicated 2ch pre amp. The classe cp700 he has is a wonderful piece though. And top end 2ch pre’s live in a upper stratosphere that only a few inhabit let alone expecting Av processor to be at that level with all its compromises is a bit of a stretch of expectations id suggest.

that said it is about a balance of compromises. For some and I know a few with Marantz av8801/av8802 that have used as 2ch duties. And been very happy with it at that and multichannel use.. I too in comparisons been part off tend to agree these Marantz are actually pretty decent in 2ch and for most folk unless spending just as much again to 2-3x on 2ch stratospheric pre as you can, unlikely for them to be worth getting anything else or even an option !

5 hours ago, Dilatante said:

Yup, Cambridge Audio has given up completely on the AV side and just sticking to 2ch only

not surprised ... brands doing both Av and 2ch are a rarity and diminishing bunch now days. We have the growing bunch of dedicated Av processor brands instead and that tending to be their sole focus. I should check out the av8805 for 2ch duties as suspect if anything like predecessor and Marantz music matters approach be interesting if continues along those lines ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, betty boop said:

these Marantz are actually pretty decent in 2ch and for most folk unless spending just as much again to 2-3x on 2ch stratospheric pre as you can, unlikely for them to be worth getting anything else or even an option !

Pretty much agree, you need to spend similar money on a 2ch pre to make meaningful improvements.

JDH

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 1:57 PM, betty boop said:

If remember in demoing with my cousin we felt the same re the ssp800 comparing with classe own dedicated 2ch pre amp. The classe cp700 he has is a wonderful piece though. And top end 2ch pre’s live in a upper stratosphere that only a few inhabit let alone expecting Av processor to be at that level with all its compromises is a bit of a stretch of expectations id suggest.

Yes, the Classe CP 700 is a great sounding analog 2ch pre and it’s very expected that the SSP 800 can’t compete with CP 700 in 2ch. The SSP 800’s stereo analog audio input & output stages were based on the CP 700 but of course the CP 700 would perform better since it is a dedicated 2ch analog pre with external PSU. there’s much less crosstalk, noise and interference and no digital audio video board no DAC with the CP 700 since it is only a pure 2ch analog pre. plus its PSU is external so will be no noise & vibration generated from the power supply. whereas there are compromises made with all AV preamp surround processors and the SSP 800 was no exception but these compromises are kept to minimal with the SSP 800 compared to most other surround processors ( especially cheaper ones). 

Just curious when you and your cousin compared the SSP 800 & CP 700, did you guys have the SSP 800 configured or set to stereo analog bypass mode when listening in stereo? Cause it would make a big difference sonically. The stereo analog bypass mode would completely bypass DSP and other digital processings. 

that said it is about a balance of compromises. For some and I know a few with Marantz av8801/av8802 that have used as 2ch duties. And been very happy with it at that and multichannel use.. I too in comparisons been part off tend to agree these Marantz are actually pretty decent in 2ch and for most folk unless spending just as much again to 2-3x on 2ch stratospheric pre as you can, unlikely for them to be worth getting anything else or even an option !

yeah.....the 2ch performance of the Marantz 8802 is very decent especially considering its price point and it is a surround processor after all. 
I was able to talk to a local Marantz dealer here in Seattle and they are willing to lend me their demo or floor model of AV8805 for me to do take home demo. So I will be picking that up sometime this week and will report back. I’m also considering other options as well eg Anthem AVM90, NAD M17 v2 or Krell Foundation for HT. 

I’m only limited to 5.2 or possibly 7.2 setup at the most. Won’t be able to do 3D audio such as Dolby Atmos setup though.

I will most likely get a dedicated 2ch analog pre with HT bypass. I am able to reconfigure my rack space and room in order to accommodate for a dedicated 2ch pre. For a dedicated analog 2ch pre I am considering several tube options from Cary Audio, ARC (Audio Research), Luxman as well as SS options from Accuphase, Levinson, PS Audio BHK hybrid pre, or possibly a new Classe Delta Pre. I will also get a stereo amp to power my front LR speakers and look for a three-channel amp or a five-channel amp to power my center & surround speakers. Right now I’m using Classe Sigma Amp5 five-channel classs D amp and will probably use it for my center & surrounds and am highly considering the PS Audio BHK 250 hybrid stereo power amp for my front LR speakers. 

not surprised ... brands doing both Av and 2ch are a rarity and diminishing bunch now days. We have the growing bunch of dedicated Av processor brands instead and that tending to be their sole focus. I should check out the av8805 for 2ch duties as suspect if anything like predecessor and Marantz music matters approach be interesting if continues along those lines ...

Yup. Especially smaller companies like Classe or Linn or Naim to name  few, they won’t be able to keep up with the ever changing AV world as the formats chenge over time both on the video & surround audio sides. 

Edited by Dilatante

On 01/03/2021 at 1:57 PM, betty boop said:

Yes, the Classe CP 700 is a great sounding analog 2ch pre and it’s very expected that the SSP 800 can’t compete with CP 700 in 2ch. The SSP 800’s stereo analog audio input & output stages were based on the CP 700 but of course the CP 700 would perform better since it is a dedicated 2ch analog pre with external PSU. there’s much less crosstalk, noise and interference and no digital audio video board no DAC with the CP 700 since it is only a pure 2ch analog pre. plus its PSU is external so will be no noise & vibration generated from the power supply. whereas there are compromises made with all AV preamp surround processors and the SSP 800 was no exception but these compromises are kept to minimal with the SSP 800 compared to most other surround processors ( especially cheaper ones). 

Just curious when you and your cousin compared the SSP 800 & CP 700, did you guys have the SSP 800 configured or set to stereo analog bypass mode when listening in stereo? Cause it would make a big difference sonically. The stereo analog bypass mode would completely bypass DSP and other digital processings. 

yeah.....the 2ch performance of the Marantz 8802 is very decent especially considering its price point and it is a surround processor after all. 
I was able to talk to a local Marantz dealer here in Seattle and they are willing to lend me their demo or floor model of AV8805 for me to do take home demo. So I will be picking that up sometime this week and will report back. I’m also considering other options as well eg Anthem AVM90, NAD M17 v2 or Krell Foundation for HT. 

I’m only limited to 5.2 or possibly 7.2 setup at the most. Won’t be able to do 3D audio such as Dolby Atmos setup though.

I will most likely get a dedicated 2ch analog pre with HT bypass. I am able to reconfigure my rack space and room in order to accommodate for a dedicated 2ch pre. For a dedicated analog 2ch pre I am considering several tube options from Cary Audio, ARC (Audio Research), Luxman as well as SS options from Accuphase, Levinson, PS Audio BHK hybrid pre, or possibly a new Classe Delta Pre. I will also get a stereo amp to power my front LR speakers and look for a three-channel amp or a five-channel amp to power my center & surround speakers. Right now I’m using Classe Sigma Amp5 five-channel classs D amp and will probably use it for my center & surrounds and am highly considering the PS Audio BHK 250 hybrid stereo power amp for my front LR speakers. 

Edited by Dilatante
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

I was able to talk to a local Marantz dealer here in Seattle and they are willing to lend me their demo or floor model of AV8805

Let us know your thoughts! I’ll be very interested given your speakers etc.

3 hours ago, Dilatante said:

absolutely we wanted to give the ssp800 the best chance... for him if as a one box if hit the spot, one less box in the rack, some money to re coup to fund the avp purchase....

good to hear ! best way to know where something is for your or not. Certainly some other options there, definitely  check out the nad (have recommended this to others as well, very well made thing) and it doesnt go as far as channels which is probably what want :) the krell is now no longer current so be aware of any particular issues ... with anthem the avm90 i actually had some interest in , explored pretty heavily...was very disappointed to find the current anthem processors are basically the AVR with amps pulled out though $500 cheaper than the avr for that reason... for the processor version all it is then is some tinkering with dac and such. even the avm90 looks pretty much identical vs the avm70 under the hood and yet they for some reason want to charge double what the avm70 is !  the avm90 is now delayed to later this year, i suspect next year .... and hopefully they do indeed do something to it in as far as what delivers for the money :) as its not a very convincing argument for the moment.

I will most likely get a dedicated 2ch analog pre with HT bypass. I am able to reconfigure my rack space and room in order to accommodate for a dedicated 2ch pre. For a dedicated analog 2ch pre I am considering several tube options from Cary Audio, ARC (Audio Research), Luxman as well as SS options from Accuphase, Levinson, PS Audio BHK hybrid pre, or possibly a new Classe Delta Pre. I will also get a stereo amp to power my front LR speakers and look for a three-channel amp or a five-channel amp to power my center & surround speakers. Right now I’m using Classe Sigma Amp5 five-channel classs D amp and will probably use it for my center & surrounds and am highly considering the PS Audio BHK 250 hybrid stereo power amp for my front LR speakers. 

if 2ch is important to you...something should very much explore... keeping in mind too that each brand has their own signatures .... and if also going for a stereo power amp... another factor that drives choice in 2ch press is also the pre power matching. something quite essential i beleive as much as power amp is important to match to speakers.....

if already have a classe multichannel power amp, i would think the classe 2ch pre and stereo power would be a no brainer...cant imagine too many processors even being remotely close to this combo in delivering for 2ch :) appreciate again though if the AV processor might still be a better option in reducing box count and costs... 

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

absolutely we wanted to give the ssp800 the best chance... for him if as a one box if hit the spot, one less box in the rack, some money to re coup to fund the avp purchase....

good to hear ! best way to know where something is for your or not. Certainly some other options there, definitely  check out the nad (have recommended this to others as well, very well made thing) and it doesnt go as far as channels which is probably what want :) the krell is now no longer current so be aware of any particular issues ... with anthem the avm90 i actually had some interest in , explored pretty heavily...was very disappointed to find the current anthem processors are basically the AVR with amps pulled out though $500 cheaper than the avr for that reason... for the processor version all it is then is some tinkering with dac and such. even the avm90 looks pretty much identical vs the avm70 under the hood and yet they for some reason want to charge double what the avm70 is !  the avm90 is now delayed to later this year, i suspect next year .... and hopefully they do indeed do something to it in as far as what delivers for the money :) as its not a very convincing argument for the moment.

if 2ch is important to you...something should very much explore... keeping in mind too that each brand has their own signatures .... and if also going for a stereo power amp... another factor that drives choice in 2ch press is also the pre power matching. something quite essential i beleive as much as power amp is important to match to speakers.....

if already have a classe multichannel power amp, i would think the classe 2ch pre and stereo power would be a no brainer...cant imagine too many processors even being remotely close to this combo in delivering for 2ch :) appreciate again though if the AV processor might still be a better option in reducing box count and costs... 

Yes, heard great things about the NAD M17 v2 the one with Dirac Live room correction, not the original M17 w/ Audyssey. Thanks for the heads up re Krell Foundation. I will scratch that off my list then. I will add the Audio Control Maestro M9 to my short list. There’s an Audio Control dealer outside Seattle about 75 miles north of Seattle close to US/Canada border. By the way, Audio Control is based out of greater Seattle area. So, it’s local. They use Dirac Live as well. I was thinking about the Lyngdorf Mp-50 but there’s no dealer in our state. the closest one will be in SF bay area in California. Too far of a drive, more like 12 to 13 hour drive from Seattle. Won’t work. 

In regards to Anthem processors, I heard the same about the AVM60, which is actually their flagship AVR (MRX 1120) minus power amps and costs only USD $500 cheaper than the MRX 1120 avr. Might also be true with the AVM70, which replaces AVM60. Not sure about the AVM90 which isn’t released yet. 

So now I narrow down the choices between the Marantz AV8805, NAD M17 v2 & Audio Control M9 for HT. 

As for 2ch analog pre for music, the new Classe Delta Pre 2ch pre has built-in DAC. I prefer a pure all analog pre since I already have a very good digital front end source component (Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player/DAC professional edition). Plus the new Classe Delta Stereo 2ch power amp and Delta Mono monoblock amps are way out of my price range and will be overkill for my speakers, unless if I upgrade my speakers. The new Classe Delta Stereo 2ch power amp retails for USD $14k here and the new Delta Mono monoblock amps are USD $22k for the pair. And the new Delta Pre 2ch preamp/DAC is USD $10k here. Too much for my system setup. I prefer tube pre or something like PS Audio BHK linestage pre, which is a hybrid design with tube input stage and SS output stage. Heard great thing about these PS Audio BHK series. If I end up with this pre I would most likely go with their matching PS Audio BHK 250 stereo amp, which is also a hybrid design with tube input stage and SS output stage. 

I will report back re AV8805 this weekend once I have it hooked up in my own setup at home. Can’t thank you enough for your advises, inputs, thoughts and suggestions. 

Edited by Dilatante

So now I narrow down the choices between the Marantz AV8805, NAD M17 v2 & Audio Control M9 for HT. 

Did the NAD M17 get a dts-x decoder put in Teddy ? Its getting a bit long in the tooth now though certainly well engineered except for the cheapo parallel sub out ; its  got balanced xlrs  and mini s video ports for the ceilings and ide check if the dirac is the old proprietary one or its replacement all the new pre pros like the audio control have ..

Another one to look at is the acurus muse which has much more configuration with its 16chs and is a bargain in the US . It has peq for its room eq and a fancy multi mike easy ASPEQT system 

Washington Cello Technologies Seattle
  6220 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 200
  Seattle, WA  98115 
  tel: 206-256-0900
  fax: 206-256-0909

tom.hall@celloseattle.com

www.acurusav.com - USA dealers

2 hours ago, Dilatante said:

Yes, heard great things about the NAD M17 v2 the one with Dirac Live room correction, not the original M17 w/ Audyssey. Thanks for the heads up re Krell Foundation. I will scratch that off my list then. I will add the Audio Control Maestro M9 to my short list. There’s an Audio Control dealer outside Seattle about 75 miles north of Seattle close to US/Canada border. By the way, Audio Control is based out of greater Seattle area. So, it’s local. They use Dirac Live as well. I was thinking about the Lyngdorf Mp-50 but there’s no dealer in our state. the closest one will be in SF bay area in California. Too far of a drive, more like 12 to 13 hour drive from Seattle. Won’t work. 

the lyngdorf have a good rep, no idea on 2ch but they have had some focus on that in the past. the audio control is really an arcam with different dac and the arcams are buggy as hell from all accounts ... last time i went from SF to Seattle I caught a plane :D 

In regards to Anthem processors, I heard the same about the AVM60, which is actually their flagship AVR (MRX 1120) minus power amps and costs only USD $500 cheaper than the MRX 1120 avr. Might also be true with the AVM70, which replaces AVM60. Not sure about the AVM90 which isn’t released yet. 

we already have under hood shots of avm70 and avm90 and really theres 2/5ths of nothing between them and yes the avm70 in configuration looks very similar to the avm60 and its donor AVRs. anthem no longer do dedicated processors like they did back in the day with the anthem D2V and such ...

As for 2ch analog pre for music, the new Classe Delta Pre 2ch pre has built-in DAC. I prefer a pure all analog pre since I already have a very good digital front end source component (Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player/DAC professional edition). Plus the new Classe Delta Stereo 2ch power amp and Delta Mono monoblock amps are way out of my price range and will be overkill for my speakers, unless if I upgrade my speakers. The new Classe Delta Stereo 2ch power amp retails for USD $14k here and the new Delta Mono monoblock amps are USD $22k for the pair. And the new Delta Pre 2ch preamp/DAC is USD $10k here. Too much for my system setup. I prefer tube pre or something like PS Audio BHK linestage pre, which is a hybrid design with tube input stage and SS output stage. Heard great thing about these PS Audio BHK series. If I end up with this pre I would most likely go with their matching PS Audio BHK 250 stereo amp, which is also a hybrid design with tube input stage and SS output stage. 

so many options really worth your while exploring each just as doing with the processor... pre pwr matching is important as is matching power amp to speakers...so important to find what best works for your setup and tastes and likely thats going to be different to what anyone thinks is best choice... 

10 hours ago, cwt said:

Did the NAD M17 get a dts-x decoder put in Teddy ? Its getting a bit long in the tooth now though certainly well engineered except for the cheapo parallel sub out ; its  got balanced xlrs  and mini s video ports for the ceilings and ide check if the dirac is the old proprietary one or its replacement all the new pre pros like the audio control have ..

Another one to look at is the acurus muse which has much more configuration with its 16chs and is a bargain in the US . It has peq for its room eq and a fancy multi mike easy ASPEQT system 

Washington Cello Technologies Seattle
  6220 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 200
  Seattle, WA  98115 
  tel: 206-256-0900
  fax: 206-256-0909

tom.hall@celloseattle.com

www.acurusav.com - USA dealers

Hi Colin, I think the NAD M17 v2 fully supports and decodes Atmos & DTS-X but will find out about which version of Dirac it comes with. Thanks for the heads up. 

Will look into the Acurus processor and will get in touch with Cello Technologies Seattle. Thank you for the info and much appreciated. They are actually by one of my local dealer Definitive Audio Seattle. There’s also another hifi shop on that same block where Definitive Audio is called Hawthorne Stereo but they only sell 2ch stuff. 

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

the lyngdorf have a good rep, no idea on 2ch but they have had some focus on that in the past. the audio control is really an arcam with different dac and the arcams are buggy as hell from all accounts ... last time i went from SF to Seattle I caught a plane :D 

we already have under hood shots of avm70 and avm90 and really theres 2/5ths of nothing between them and yes the avm70 in configuration looks very similar to the avm60 and its donor AVRs. anthem no longer do dedicated processors like they did back in the day with the anthem D2V and such ...

so many options really worth your while exploring each just as doing with the processor... pre pwr matching is important as is matching power amp to speakers...so important to find what best works for your setup and tastes and likely thats going to be different to what anyone thinks is best choice... 

Nowaday Lyngdorf is more of a HT focus although they are still making digital stereo integrated amps with Room Perfect built in but they are class D amp and will digitize their analog inputs. Yes, ideally one should board a plane to go to SF Bay Area from Seattle but I’ve been avoiding that since COVID ?

It’s unfortunate that Anthem no longer makes dedicated HT processors like the Anthem Statement D2V2, which I believed was the last real genuine processor from Anthem. 

When it comes to 2ch pre/power combo, yes I will be really careful in matching the pre to the amp and of course to my speakers as well as to my front end source component (my Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player/DAC). I believe in system synergy. There are many options out there. I prefer a tube pre with SS power amp combo which usually (but not always) would yield very good sonic result. Or a hybrid design like the PS Audio BHK line with tube input stage and SS output stage. If I had a separate dedicated listening room and setup for 2ch music and home theater in separate rooms and systems I probably would have gone all tubes for my dedicated 2ch setup for music with tube pre & tube amp or a tube integrated amp. But since I am combining HT & 2ch music in the same system I would have to go with SS power amp for front LR speakers. 

Again thank you.

Will report back when I get my hands on the Marantz AV8805 later in the week. 

• Like 1

Hi Colin, I think the NAD M17 v2 fully supports and decodes Atmos & DTS-X but will find out about which version of Dirac it comes with. Thanks for the heads up. 

Will look into the Acurus processor and will get in touch with Cello Technologies Seattle. Thank you for the info and much appreciated. They are actually by one of my local dealer Definitive Audio Seattle. There’s also another hifi shop on that same block where Definitive Audio is called Hawthorne Stereo but they only sell 2ch stuff. 

Yes the NAD does dts-x . it doesnt do dts-x pro but that doesnt matter as its a 11ch processor so not compatible B|

Been looking at options myself to replace my yammie 5100 and found the muse manual so heres some light reading if interested in these covid times ?

MUSE User Guide 20190227.pdf