Marantz AV8805. Worth waiting for?

Betty Boop,

In regards to the Mac MX122/123 processors. I did get a chance to demo it and wasn’t impressed by it. My SSP 800 is still far better for both stereo music & surround movies. Audio performance wise the Mac MX122/123 aren’t that much better than the Marantz 8802 IMO. Audio performance wise the SSP 800 is more in the same league as the MX160. The MX122/123 processors use the Marantz’s HDMI audio & video processing boards and same versions of Audyssey as those found in Marantz 8802 & 8805. The MX122/123 also use Marantz GUI & OSD and the setup menus are identical w/ the Marantz and same remotes too. 

But everything else is pure Mac all the way. Mac designs and implements its own power supplies, voltage regulation, DAC and analog audio output stages. They only use Marantz 8802/8805 HDMI boards for audio/video procesdings as well as GUI & OSD & remote. That’s all.

I did however demo the MX 160 couple yrs ago and for stereo music the Classe SSP 800 is still better more musical IMO but I prefer the MX 160 for surround sound movies (HT). The Room Perfect room correction in MX160 is exceptional IMO whereas the Classe is only equipped with manual PEQ. For surrounds the MX160 is better for sure. hands down. 

Classe’s new current products consist of only 2ch gears, they don’t make multi-channel gears anymore, but rumor has it that Classe plans to release the replacement for the SSP 800 HT processor in the future but not in the near future. We probably won’t see it for at least another 4 yrs or so and heard that it will be very very expensive (possibly in USD $20kish  range), even way more expensive than the already expensive SSP 800. Heard from a reliable source that it will be in the same price category as the Datasat RS20i, latest version of Meridian Reference 861, latest version of Theta Casablanca lVa w/ Extreme DAC & Trinnov Altitude 64.
And it would most likely be equipped with very advanced room correction but would have less channels than the Trinnov or Datasat RS20i processors. That’s the plan I think but Classe might as well change its mind and just stick with 2ch gears. 

By the way, the new latest Classe Delta Mono monoblock amps and Delta Pre stereo preamp/DAC are exceptional. I heard them lately at one local dealer and man.....they are much more refined sounding the discontinued Classe Delta CAM600 monoblock amps & CP800 stereo preamp/DAC. But the prices have gone up quite a bit though. The Delta Mono amps currently retail for USD $22k for the pair and the Delta Pre stereo preamp/DAC is USD $10k. The new Delta Stereo power amp is at USD $13k. 

Edited by Dilatante

2 hours ago, Dilatante said:

So you’re saying that the 8805 doesn’t sound any better than the 8802. Hmm.......I’d expect that the 8805 is better sound quality wise since Marantz claimed that the HDAM circuitry has been improved with slightly better power supply implementation over its predecessor (8802). 

well i havent done any A-B let alone blind tests or comparisons and all that. just swapped out ne for other. NOTE I am only talking AV HT - MCH wise and no am not seeing any oh wow jumping out at you type step up or anything. if there is a step up from av8802a to av8805 it would be incremental id suggest more noticeable in close A-B comparison which possible with 2ch is very hard to do with AV-Mch gear given the host of connections disconnections calibration and setup in between. not impossible but am not setup for that sorry. I have done it ... but its lot of work to do ! 

I wouldn't be surprised if classe ssp800 was a step up 2ch wise.. here the classe was 3x more in initial cost ! as i indicated In what exploration i have done of the av8802a it like its predecessor in the av8801 is actually quite decent 2ch wise to point for many folk it will be quite good enough. you'd need to spend at least the cost of it in a dedicated 2ch pre amp to better it.. and many folk eg myself go that way. with the classe ssp800 that is approach my cousin ended up going instead... kept his 2ch classe pre amp which is stunning .. still :D and went the denon flagship processor he felt was better AV wise. I was part of his comparisons and can confirm it was a good way to go...

2 hours ago, Dilatante said:

ou’re right today they don’t make HT processors like those of big old Denon and Classe SSP 800 anymore.

yep why a lot of folk not needing atmos and 4k uhd and such, have just hung on to these big beasts...

I suspect there will be a return of either or both in time given sound united now owns all these brands in classe-marantz - denon. just matter of time ! :) am very glad they scooped up classe and own the b&W brand too...I totally agree they make for a great pairing and good the brand has an understanding parent :D  

4 hours ago, Dilatante said:

In regards to the Mac MX122/123 processors. I did get a chance to demo it and wasn’t impressed by it. My SSP 800 is still far better for both stereo music & surround movies. Audio performance wise the Mac MX122/123 aren’t that much better than the Marantz 8802 IMO. Audio performance wise the SSP 800 is more in the same league as the MX160. The MX122/123 processors use the Marantz’s HDMI audio & video processing boards and same versions of Audyssey as those found in Marantz 8802 & 8805. The MX122/123 also use Marantz GUI & OSD and the setup menus are identical w/ the Marantz and same remotes too. 

But everything else is pure Mac all the way. Mac designs and implements its own power supplies, voltage regulation, DAC and analog audio output stages. They only use Marantz 8802/8805 HDMI boards for audio/video procesdings as well as GUI & OSD & remote. That’s all.

thats a shame if for all that money more its not getting much more than the marantz units. that said the marantz are pretty swish units and 8802a fault free and bug free. 8805 with just the one dolby upminxing bug for PCM (which effects all brands) but overall sound basis to build their brands processor on so understand why Mac has used as basis. 

4 hours ago, Dilatante said:

Classe’s new current products consist of only 2ch gears, they don’t make multi-channel gears anymore, but rumor has it that Classe plans to release the replacement for the SSP 800 HT processor in the future but not in the near future. We probably won’t see it for at least another 4 yrs or so and heard that it will be very very expensive (possibly in USD $20kish  range), even way more expensive than the already expensive SSP 800. Heard from a reliable source that it will be in the same price category as the Datasat RS20i, latest version of Meridian Reference 861, latest version of Theta Casablanca lVa w/ Extreme DAC & Trinnov Altitude 64.
And it would most likely be equipped with very advanced room correction but would have less channels than the Trinnov or Datasat RS20i processors. That’s the plan I think but Classe might as well change its mind and just stick with 2ch gears. 

I hope they do bring out AV side, it has a good following with the ssp800 !  would be sad to let it just dissapear into history. I wouldn't be surprised if they do bring a decent AV processor out... but agree it will be crazy money... to be truthful for most folk the classe ssp800 and denon avp were silly money  :D wouldn't be surprised if the new 2 ch pre was better than the cp800... that wasnt that good a 2ch pre in my opinion... really just a digital beast...the cp700 my cousin has is a lovely thing ! fully balancedcexternal power supply and such...if they have improved on that the new one will be glorious ! great to see a brand like classe doing great things ! 

On 03/02/2021 at 9:59 AM, Dilatante said:

I was thinking to get rid of the Classe SSP 800 at some point since it’s becoming quite obsolete and possibly am considering the Marantz AV8805.

Hi Dilatante ;when you mentioned the Classe  it reminded me of Roger Dresslers ; he still has his [ its got his now replaced dolby pl2 dsp mode in it was a factor ..] .You could pm him over at avs forum about his deadwood theater ;  ile just post this exchange ;  Official Classe SSP-800 thread. | Page 369 | AVS Forum

The lyngdorfs have a cut down model in the mp40 without the profusion of atmos channels of the 60 etc and its got very similar innards . Anyway 1 to try in the ssp800 price range possibly :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

well i havent done any A-B let alone blind tests or comparisons and all that. just swapped out ne for other. NOTE I am only talking AV HT - MCH wise and no am not seeing any oh wow jumping out at you type step up or anything. if there is a step up from av8802a to av8805 it would be incremental id suggest more noticeable in close A-B comparison which possible with 2ch is very hard to do with AV-Mch gear given the host of connections disconnections calibration and setup in between. not impossible but am not setup for that sorry. I have done it ... but its lot of work to do ! 

I wouldn't be surprised if classe ssp800 was a step up 2ch wise.. here the classe was 3x more in initial cost ! as i indicated In what exploration i have done of the av8802a it like its predecessor in the av8801 is actually quite decent 2ch wise to point for many folk it will be quite good enough. you'd need to spend at least the cost of it in a dedicated 2ch pre amp to better it.. and many folk eg myself go that way. with the classe ssp800 that is approach my cousin ended up going instead... kept his 2ch classe pre amp which is stunning .. still :D and went the denon flagship processor he felt was better AV wise. I was part of his comparisons and can confirm it was a good way to go...

yep why a lot of folk not needing atmos and 4k uhd and such, have just hung on to these big beasts...

I suspect there will be a return of either or both in time given sound united now owns all these brands in classe-marantz - denon. just matter of time ! :) am very glad they scooped up classe and own the b&W brand too...I totally agree they make for a great pairing and good the brand has an understanding parent :D  

Yes, Classe amps pair really well with B&W 800 series diamond speakers. They sounded great together. Glad to finally see that Classe & B&W got back together ?

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

thats a shame if for all that money more its not getting much more than the marantz units. that said the marantz are pretty swish units and 8802a fault free and bug free. 8805 with just the one dolby upminxing bug for PCM (which effects all brands) but overall sound basis to build their brands processor on so understand why Mac has used as basis. 

The MX 122/123 only share the same HDMI boards for audio/video processings & switchings, GUI/OSD & remote with the Marantz units (8802 & 8805). That’s pretty much it. Everything else is pure McIntosh all the way. The 8802/8805 offer greater values than the MX 122/123. 

I hope they do bring out AV side, it has a good following with the ssp800 !  would be sad to let it just dissapear into history. I wouldn't be surprised if they do bring a decent AV processor out... but agree it will be crazy money... to be truthful for most folk the classe ssp800 and denon avp were silly money  :D wouldn't be surprised if the new 2 ch pre was better than the cp800... that wasnt that good a 2ch pre in my opinion... really just a digital beast...the cp700 my cousin has is a lovely thing ! fully balancedcexternal power supply and such...if they have improved on that the new one will be glorious ! great to see a brand like classe doing great things !

Does  your cousin still have his CP 700 2ch pre? I believed the SSP 800 audio design circuitry was based on the CP 700. The SSP 800 shares the same critical circuit blocks with CP 700. 
All channels of the SSP 800 are fully balanced aka true differential design. Pretty much all Classe products (amps & preamps) are true differential designs. 

Edited by Dilatante

14 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

The MX 122/123 only share the same HDMI boards for audio/video processings & switchings, GUI/OSD & remote with the Marantz units (8802 & 8805). That’s pretty much it. Everything else is pure McIntosh all the way. The 8802/8805 offer greater values than the MX 122/123. 

definitely ! I'll post some photos of innards of the av8805 ! will se how much effort marantz have gone to sound quality wise. 

14 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

Does  your cousin still have his CP 700 2ch pre? I believed the SSP 800 audio design circuitry was based on the CP 700. The SSP 800 shares the same critical circuit blocks with CP 700. 
All channels of the SSP 800 are fully balanced aka true differential design. Pretty much all Classe products (amps & preamps) are true differential designs. 

he does indeed and no ways letting it go. I dont know if you have seen the innards of the cp700 and thats without the separate power supply ! 

image.png

vs cp800

image.png

they could have been coming  from completely different galaxies !  definitely the cp700 was a good step up in 2ch pre amp vs the ssp800 though have no doubt ssp800 had some links back to cp700. there was a ssp600 as well as ssp300...my cousin originally had a ssp300 :) things came a long way with the ssp800 :)

anyways will get back to things marantz av8805... i'll post some innards shots... lets leave the classe talk for somewhere else :D dont want to take this one completely off track :D

6 hours ago, cwt said:

Hi Dilatante ;when you mentioned the Classe  it reminded me of Roger Dresslers ; he still has his [ its got his now replaced dolby pl2 dsp mode in it was a factor ..] .You could pm him over at avs forum about his deadwood theater ;  ile just post this exchange ;  Official Classe SSP-800 thread. | Page 369 | AVS Forum

The lyngdorfs have a cut down model in the mp40 without the profusion of atmos channels of the 60 etc and its got very similar innards . Anyway 1 to try in the ssp800 price range possibly :) 

Thanks for the info. Will do. 

My SSP 800 was a revised version (latter version) with an upgraded dual DSP to accommodate supports for high rez audio codecs eg DTS HD MA & Dolby True-HD and such. The earlier version was only equipped with a single DSP and can still support DTS HD MA & Dolby True-HD only if you set your HDMI audio output on your bluray player to LPCM for bluray disc playbacks only.  

The revised version of SSP 800 like the one I have can natively decode DTS HD MA & Dolby True-HD when you set your HDMI audio output on your bluray player to bitstream for bluray disc playbacks. 

Edited by Dilatante

41 minutes ago, Dilatante said:

Thanks for the info. Will do. 

My SSP 800 was a revised version (latter version) with an upgraded dual DSP to accommodate supports for high rez audio codecs eg DTS HD MA & Dolby True-HD and such. The earlier version was only equipped with a single DSP and can still support DTS HD MA & Dolby True-HD only if you set your HDMI audio output on your bluray player to LPCM for bluray disc playbacks only.  

The revised version of SSP 800 like the one I have can natively decode DTS HD MA & Dolby True-HD when you set your HDMI audio output on your bluray player to bitstream for bluray disc playbacks. 

Yes ; the 1st time I started to look at dual dsp processing chips and direct decoding of the lossless codecs was a cary 11a I owned [the classe was a 10k+ proposition in Aus  ; the cary was a group buy bargain ] . Now its de rigeur for the likes of the 8805 with atmos metadata decoding and obscure ones like a dolby mat decoder for sources like an apple 4k streamer .

Just realised thats probably why it decodes to lpcm -for all the cheaper avrs that can hande a lpcm stream straight to the room eq; bm; dacs - easier without decoding :) Anyway back to the 8805 ..

On 08/02/2021 at 12:04 PM, cwt said:

The lyngdorfs have a cut down model in the mp40 without the profusion of atmos channels of the 60 etc and its got very similar innards .

Funny you should mention this processor in this thread. I wish the MP-40 was more reasonably priced as I only need a couple of inputs and the room correction is supposed to be really good - I also really like the look. However, at well over double the price of the 8805, I don't think I could ever justify it (well, actually, I probably could, but my wife... ha ha). I am hoping to demo the 8805 and maybe the new anthems in my setup, later in the year.

4 hours ago, paulie83 said:

Funny you should mention this processor in this thread. I wish the MP-40 was more reasonably priced as I only need a couple of inputs and the room correction is supposed to be really good - I also really like the look. 

Yes ; I was shocked when I saw  the mp40 at 18k and the mcintosh mx100 at 8k less . The mx100 even has an extra [4x1] hdmi input .. And if audyssey doesnt suit a minidsp with dirac is an option .. 

If you want the full 16ch decoding a 2ru form factor and a very nice front screen gui have a look at the acurus muse as well ; ive seen it for 10990 online if you can live without auro3d like the new anthems ?

When you see a storm audio mk2 16 ch at 24k and an altitude16 at 25k it gives a bit of perspective - being the bottom of the line :)

Sorry guys didn’t mean to derail off the subject of this Marantz AV8805 thread here with all Classe stuff. 
I will create another thread and I need your opinions regarding the issues that I’ve recently encountered with my system setup. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few questions about this processor. I only have a 5.1 lounge room setup (non dedicated home theatre room). I don’t have any intention of going overheads anytime soon (or possibly even ever) but I do want to get the very best out of my speakers.

Would this processor be overkill for my needs given the number of channels it can process?

It would be kept in my entertainment unit which is quite enclosed, but has several 140mm fans cooling the components (the Elektra 5 channel amp is barely warm). Would this be an issue?

I’ll probably have a few more questions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulie83 said:

I had a few questions about this processor. I only have a 5.1 lounge room setup (non dedicated home theatre room). I don’t have any intention of going overheads anytime soon (or possibly even ever) but I do want to get the very best out of my speakers.

Would this processor be overkill for my needs given the number of channels it can process?

It would be kept in my entertainment unit which is quite enclosed, but has several 140mm fans cooling the components (the Elektra 5 channel amp is barely warm). Would this be an issue?

If you don't think you will get into ATMOS for a while if at all then you should buy something a lot cheaper. 

My old Integra DHC 80.3 still does everything I need it to in my 5.2 system beautifully.

Used ones sell now for under $1K..........just an example.

Look at used pre ATMOS models from Marantz etc......and save HEAPS!!!!!!!! 

Just make sure it has quality Room EQ on board.

Something like this maybe.........

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anthem-AVM50-7-1-Channel-A-V-Processor-with-Anthem-Room-Correction-ARC/143731266656?hash=item21770d1460:g:W8QAAOSwvntfWwhx&frcectupt=true

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paulie83 said:

do you need 4k uhd  capability ? if you do can always go model before the av8802A. if you dont need 4k uhd go one step further back in the av8801. these are all pretty special processors bot for music and av :)

a good processor is a good processor regardless of channels it processes :)

if its doing fine with the elektra ie you have pretty decent ventilation then the processor will be fine in their as well.. i would still as a matter of precaution monitor temps in use and depending on ambient temps ? easily done even with a temp probe and manual checks...

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 9:34 PM, paulie83 said:

What are your speakers? 

Do you need 4K video pass through? If you don’t need 4K video passthrough I would highly recommend a used discontinued Classe Sigma SSP which today can be had pretty cheap in used after markets eg Audiogon, eBay, etc. A used Classe Sigma SSP nowaday usually goes for around USD $2k to USD $2500 here in the US. its original retail price was USD $5k to USD $6k when purchased new back then. This model was discontinued in 2017/2018 soon after B&W Group ditched Classe. And the Sigma SSP runs cool and doesn’t require ventilation if you are worried about heat in your enclosed cabinet, and it’s very compact in size and sounds superb especially in stereo for music. This pre pro is optimized for stereo and the XLR balanced analog audio outputs are limited to only front LR channels and are fully balanced design (true differential design) but the remaining channels are single-ended. It would sound better than the AV8805 in stereo for music for sure but I think the AV8805 might have advantages when used for surround sound movies (HT).  

However the Classe doesn’t come with auto room correction software but instead provides manual PEQ (Parametrix EQ) which is lot more difficult to calibrate if your room isn’t optimal. 
The Marantz comes with Audyssey auto room correction which is much easier to calibrate than the Classe. 

The Classe Sigma SSP is pretty barebone and has only stereo analog audio inputs (XLR & RCA) and no multi-channel analog audio inputs and has only one subwoofer out. And no video processing, it simply switches it (strictly 1080p video passthrough only). No Bluetooth or Airplay and no built-in streaming apps and has limited connectivity (inputs & outputs). The rear panel of the Sigma SSP looks more like a stereo preamp than it does surround processor. 

The Marantz however is feature laden (feature rich) and is full of bells & whistles. Has built-in streaming apps, Airplay, Bluetooth, video processing / upscaling capabilities, and has plenty of connectivity (inputs & outputs) and has way more channels than the Classe. Last but not least, the Marantz is quite a bit bigger in size than the Sigma SSP. And the Marantz has much better GUI & OSD than the Classe, which is pretty dinosour in comparison. 

Thanks for the responses. My speakers are the monitor audio gold 5g. 

I do need 4k and if I’m making an investment in a processor. I’d prefer some chance of going to 2.1 (or at least eARC). I’m not at all concerned with 8k, but I do game a bit.

Other than having too many processing channels, the 8805 does tick every other box and there are few others that do (in my price range anyway!)

• Like 1

My speakers are the monitor audio gold 5g. 

I do need 4k and if I’m making an investment in a processor. I’d prefer some chance of going to 2.1 (or at least eARC). I’m not at all concerned with 8k, but I do game a bit.

lovely speakers... and just a point on earc... one way around this with any legacy device ... is to use the Then Audio earc sharc... about $250 can be bought direct... in essence you hook this upto an earc port on tv and it fires full bandwidth audio back to AVR/AVprocessor and any processor will do going back to 2015-6

if you need 4k you are limiting yourself to av8802a and you could use with the earc sharc if dont need more channels of the av8805

Other than having too many processing channels, the 8805 does tick every other box and there are few others that do (in my price range anyway!)

the av8805 is certainly a very slick piece... apart from dolby bug(which will be delivered with dolby fix in october) it is bug free and everything just works. audio wise it is very good ! i should post some internal shots which makes very evident how marantz has really gone to town with it in pure audio terms... 

dont have to use all the channels... most processors if needing 4k will bring you the latest gen these days... even if go for something like av8802a from 2016.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, paulie83 said:

Thanks for the responses. My speakers are the monitor audio gold 5g. 

Those are great speakers. I have the same Monitor Audio Gold 5g. mine is the Gold 200 5g. 
I previously had the B&W CM10 S2 and the Gold 200 5g is quite a bit better, more refined, way smoother than the B&W. I drive them with the Classe Sigma Amp2 class D amp and while the Sigma is a great class D amp but I’m going to make a switch to a good class AB amp. Considering the SST (Spread Spectrum Technology) Son of Ampzilla ii class AB amp biased into class A for the first 10 watts.  

Edited by Dilatante

19 hours ago, paulie83 said:

ha ha that’s quite the coincidence. Me too. I have the gold 200, centre and the gold 100 as surrounds (no walls for the fx).

And you mentioned earlier that you have a five-channel Electra amp to drive your speakers? 
I’m not familiar at all with Electra amps and is unheard of here in the US. Are they Aussie? 

By the way, the retail price of the MA Gold 200 5g have gone up by 10% here in the US in late 2019 due to 10% tariff that Trump imposed on all imported goods from China and these MA Gold series speakers are made in China. Thanks to Donald Trump ?. Glad that he’s out. simply can’t stand him and couldn’t imagine having to put up with him for another 4 yrs had he won the 2020 election. That guy is like a cancer to our country. 

5 hours ago, Dilatante said:

And you mentioned earlier that you have a five-channel Electra amp to drive your speakers? 
I’m not familiar at all with Electra amps and is unheard of here in the US. Are they Aussie? 

yes aussie, am running the same, just good honest gear, well engineered, good quality innards :) seem to go well with the marantz processors as well :) 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 2:41 AM, betty boop said:

yes aussie, am running the same, just good honest gear, well engineered, good quality innards :) seem to go well with the marantz processors as well :) 

I figured they were since they get mentioned here a lot. Are they quite reasonably priced? Cheaper than Mac or Classe or Pass or Levinson and the likes? 

On 26/02/2021 at 2:12 PM, jdh500 said:

Here is an example of the 2ch Elektra power amp that shows the internal construction.  I also have the 7ch version too.

JDH

Thanks for posting them. Yes they seem to have very good basic topology design and reminds me a bit of the Rotel RB-1582 Mk ii stereo amp. 

On one of the pic you posted they had the Electra pre & amp separates driving the Wilson Audio speakers. Are they Wilson Sasha or Sophia? Did you get to hear the system and how they pair together? I’ve heard different Wilson speakers numerous times mostly at one local dealer here in Seattle. Most of the time they were being driven by either some ARC (Audio Research) or D’Agostino amps/pre with some DCS digital front end components and/or AMG or Clearaudio turntables with either the ARC phono pre or D’Agostino phono pre.