I noticed that Marantz AV8805  is now in Australia.   First one was reported here.   Mine is still a few weeks away but is anyone else expecting delivery soon?

Edited by Tasso
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm delaying a critical side-by-side shootout for a couple of weeks in order for the AV8805 to run-in and for me to learn all its nuances and tweaks. However, last night my wife and i were just watchi

The Marantz AV8805 has arrived.         Im in the process of setting it up now.   I have been using a Denon AVP-A1HD up until now. The Marantz looks and feels a bit puny compared

My one came in yesterday. Took a little time to set it all up. Got to say, the Marantz interface is very user friendly and intuitive to get all the things set up. Even a beginner will have no issues

Put money down for one too, arriving August / September. Have high hope, but not sure if sound quality will beat my current Audiocontrol processor. Just hope Atmos is worth it.

• 1 month later...

The Marantz AV8805 has arrived.    

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.87b95834b0e100b43eb12d32b8b80b36.jpgIMG_0229.thumb.jpg.070fd9b509ba7bbb9126f2d44c743b0b.jpg

Im in the process of setting it up now.   I have been using a Denon AVP-A1HD up until now. The Marantz looks and feels a bit puny compared to the AVP - here's hoping it performs!

• Like 5

The Marantz AV8805 has arrived.    

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.87b95834b0e100b43eb12d32b8b80b36.jpgIMG_0229.thumb.jpg.070fd9b509ba7bbb9126f2d44c743b0b.jpg

Im in the process of setting it up now.   I have been using a Denon AVP-A1HD up until now. The Marantz looks and feels a bit puny compared to the AVP - here's hoping it performs!

Give us a rear shot please?

Its in  shelf all wired  now so hopefully these stock photos  will give you an idea of the connectivity.MarantzAV8805Back.jpg

MarantzAV8805Open.jpg

• Like 5

I have to say, the AV8805 is pretty versatile in its network integration.   The Audyssey app ( extra cost)  is  so cool to use .  i didnt need to have my projector or any other display connected to run it.  Once done, data is transferred to AV8805  and can be edited at any time. The  target curve editor is cool in that you can just drag the curve anyway you want on the iPhone screen to suit your preferences.

IMG_0237.thumb.PNG.69f28a4c58a4f48fb4a451354e20ea0e.PNGIMG_0236.thumb.PNG.3072c0d42b20a6225cd97b8c5417f3b2.PNG

• Like 2

• Moderators

Didn’t remove mid range compensation by the looks  ?

prob no 1 thing should do.

On 25/7/2018 at 4:13 PM, :) al said:

Didn’t remove mid range compensation by the looks  ?

prob no 1 thing should do.

yeah -  didn't tweak too much on the first day- doing all those things now

21 hours ago, cyberkank said:

So how is the sound?

Any good compared to the Denon?

I'm delaying a critical side-by-side shootout for a couple of weeks in order for the AV8805 to run-in and for me to learn all its nuances and tweaks. However, last night my wife and i were just watching TV shows via Netflix and download and I have to say i was pleasantly surprised with what we experienced. Timbre is pretty good already  and should improve more but  the ability to use Neural:X and Auro-3D with regular Dolby digital tracks made for a better overall experience.  Happy so far.

The critical test  is with the better movie soundtracks  that I will explore of the next couple of days but advice received from a friend with an AV8805 is that it really opens up nicely after a couple of weeks of use .  Music sounds pretty good with the Marantz I have to say,  but that wasn't the Denon's forte though. The Denon AVP excels in the massive scale and weight of the presentation - it doesn't fail to impress . The 8805 hasn't got that scale yet but straight out of the box I'd say so far so good.

But I have to say  it is rapidly becoming indispensable.  Heos is brilliant for my purposes and the Ausyssey/Marantz AVR /Heos apps are just wonderful and easy to use. I have my 2 channel hifi system upstairs but using the Heos app I can stream my whole library including  uncompressed DSD music to the theatre .  The AV8805 is always available as an output option for devices that do airplay and when I first set up the 8805, I didnt even have to enter network or password details - that process is automated with newer iPhones.  The wife has just discovered  Heos and its getting its fair share of use before we sit down to watch any shows/movies

• Like 6

I'm delaying a critical side-by-side shootout for a couple of weeks in order for the AV8805 to run-in and for me to learn all its nuances and tweaks. However, last night my wife and i were just watching TV shows via Netflix and download and I have to say i was pleasantly surprised with what we experienced. Timbre is pretty good already  and should improve more but  the ability to use Neural:X and Auro-3D with regular Dolby digital tracks made for a better overall experience.  Happy so far.

The critical test  is with the better movie soundtracks  that I will explore of the next couple of days but advice received from a friend with an AV8805 is that it really opens up nicely after a couple of weeks of use .  Music sounds pretty good with the Marantz I have to say,  but that wasn't the Denon's forte though. The Denon AVP excels in the massive scale and weight of the presentation - it doesn't fail to impress . The 8805 hasn't got that scale yet but straight out of the box I'd say so far so good.

But I have to say  it is rapidly becoming indispensable.  Heos is brilliant for my purposes and the Ausyssey/Marantz AVR /Heos apps are just wonderful and easy to use. I have my 2 channel hifi system upstairs but using the Heos app I can stream my whole library including  uncompressed DSD music to the theatre .  The AV8805 is always available as an output option for devices that do airplay and when I first set up the 8805, I didnt even have to enter network or password details - that process is automated with newer iPhones.  The wife has just discovered  Heos and its getting its fair share of use before we sit down to watch any shows/movies
Thanks Tasso. Looking forward to more of your upcoming impressions. Looks like my one wont arrive till September some time.
1 minute ago, Tasso said:

Anyone interested in a review on the AV8805, the only one that seems to have been published is this one from Germany.   using Google chrome will allow for automatic translations.

http://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/heimkino/marantz-av8805/test.html

Tasso, I think many of us would find your feedback more useful. Is yours the first in the wild in Oz?

1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

Tasso, I think many of us would find your feedback more useful. Is yours the first in the wild in Oz?

It is the second as far as I am aware. 

OK, Just over a week in and I can say that  I'm loving the AV8805.    

Sound Quality:     I think new owners will  be very happy with the sound of the AV8805.   I am using balanced XLR out  and  the XLR outputs have been well executed on the Marantz  ( since the AV8802) using a discrete circuit as part of their HDAM implementation.     The noise floor is very low so the background  is dead quiet allowing for all the nuances and details to be heard .    About one week in, the sound stage is opening up noticeably and movie presentation is being delivered on a grander scale.     Of course there are so many parameters to play with and tweaking continues to improve things.   The execution of the audio codecs seems flawless and the sound-steering  speed and accuracy  is first class.  In terms of the underlying timbre of the preamp, I  didn't know what to expect but I have been pleasantly surprised - particularly  given the newness of the unit.   I would best describe the timbre of voices and music as  natural and perhaps organic - not in a tubey way though.

Having done the initial Audyssey calibration, I am planning to add more profiles to the app.     No DSP is perfect and variables change according to a number of factors , and besides with the Audyssey app its just too easy.    Each profile is easily uploaded to the AV8805 at any time by  taping the export icon. You can pause a movie and do it on the fly if you want. 

IMG_0286.thumb.PNG.9d2f4e9ec3abb88c2ebe4ddd3be19a46.PNG

Music

I have a separate Hifi system  which is not situated  in the dedicated theatre room and have rarely listened to music in the theatre. I think it was more of a convenience thing - I was all set up upstairs and too much hassle  to play music on a system optimised for movies.   Well,  Heos changed all that.   Without me having to do anything other than download the app, I am able to access my  Hi-Res digital library , play it through the AV8805 and access setting  optimised for stereo listening all from the Heos app.   My wife has discovered this too and  it get a lot of use.    This is the first screen that opens on the  app.  Notice the integration with  the Marantz AVR app.   Apologies to those already familiar with  Heos.

IMG_0285.thumb.PNG.06f91f6c82d6c8f26a69b099a31ced2c.PNG

In my case I just tap on music servers  and  the software does the rest.    Anyone who has digital music  and no server can just run  some basic server software to make the music visible by Heos and let the app do the rest.    Volume, sound mode etc can be adjusted from the app.

IMG_020CE2516E2A-1.thumb.jpeg.69b2adc8bcfee2b909432732df9c8646.jpeg

Heos vs USB vs SACD

The AV8805 will accept Hi-res music via Heos , Airplay  and USB  but Marantz does not specify whether DSD is converted to PCM first.  DSD is  displayed as a source in Heos, Marantz app and on  AV8805 screen but the DSD indicator only lights up with SACD.  I used Oppo 203 playing   SACD over HDMI.   

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.6b0d48dea7e4a91e7dad61403fde11a9.JPG

IMG_0283.thumb.jpg.abdc3d2c73d796218ebf451d0c2e5bcb.jpg

Sound quality wise, SACD via Oppo sounded a bit better overall  but Heos sounds so wonderful and it's so close  its nit worth worrying about  . I wasn't enamoured by the USB interaction - its fiddly and I preferred Heos sound 

For those using iTunes  or aAirplay enabled devices, AV8805 will automatically show up as an option  for Airplay  streaming.

1982577601_ScreenShot2018-08-01at9_35_13am.png.26094b89b6d0e2448d80cb8fb56a67c0.png

• Like 3
8 hours ago, :) al said:

@Tasso  good to see got rid fo the mid range compensation in the audyssey curve :) 

Doing more tweaks than that  with Audyssey at the moment .    It does an outstanding job but fine tuning gets you home I think.

• Like 1
On 01/08/2018 at 1:32 PM, :) al said:

@Tasso  good to see got rid fo the mid range compensation in the audyssey curve :) 

What's the reasoning behind removing mid-range compensation? Any references or links you could point me to?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, deafenears said:

What's the reasoning behind removing mid-range compensation? Any references or links you could point me to?

so you dont have a mid range suck out. exactly in the critical vocal zone. but if you want that suck out ...by all means leave it in :D 

with audyssey pro its one of THE best things done

It seems that Audyssey designers have  tried to compensate  for  what they see as a midrange 'bloom" produced  off axis by some speakers at round 2khz (around the the crossover point).  I think you can tell if your speakers have this problem and as  @:) al has mentioned , the "correction" can actually create more problems than its trying to solve.  The sound improved when I removed the dip in my setup.

In terms of bass, Audyssey  has its limitations too, particularly where their can be a dropout.  On the same day my PJ was being calibrated,  the calibrator ( Andrew Poole) also spent  2-3 hours measuring my room acoustics and trying out a few things.  There was a massive hole  at around 30 hz  at the listening position .  I have just made upgrades to  my HT system and changed the layout so I was nowhere near having it perfect , but even so, the degree of the bass hole was a surprise given the seemingly great sound that I was getting.   The solution was  swift and very effective.  Andrew ,  simply moved one of my subs to a position he had calculated would get rid of the "bass hole"  and it worked.   Bass response curve came back in as flat as you could want ,   the entire sound of the system has improved exponentially and I'm pretty happy at the moment.     I have since re-run Audyssey to account for all this new found bass energy,  manually adjusted it again to get it to Andrew's calibrated settings and all is right with the world.    

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, :) al said:

so you dont have a mid range suck out. exactly in the critical vocal zone. but if you want that suck out ...by all means leave it in :D 

with audyssey pro its one of THE best things done

Ah, thanks!

Found some more materials online, mostly seems to be based on research done 40 years ago.

• Like 1

Fortunately adjusting Audyssey is dead easy with the app.  You don't need  the display on and you don't even need to be in the same room.   Here are  some screenshots.  First is option screen - just tap on the parameter you want to view or adjust.

IMG_0305.thumb.PNG.83c3c534610a4e0f98d3613e0ba490b4.PNG

This one gives you an option on HF roll curves.  Curves are further adjustable with the curve editor.

IMG_0306.thumb.PNG.d27725a019324702f02cb9a4446021d4.PNG

The midrange compensation editor.  You can turn the compensation on or off for each speaker.

IMG_0307.thumb.PNG.4ebbfd882b595242acbd5b0e4685f698.PNG

The  Audyssey app  does all the calculations ( including the initial setup with Mic if performed  with the app) and stores data on your iOS or Android device.  It does not send Audyssey  information to the AV8805 until you instruct it to.  You can also transfer data between devices - I have done this with iPhone and iPad.   My understanding is that the AV8805 can only store 1 profile at a time - I haven't tested it though , but there is no limit on the portable device. 

IMG_712D599911FE-1.thumb.jpeg.4a204095572ce03f499b71adadf33a36.jpeg

Edited by Tasso
  • 3 weeks later...

My one came in yesterday.
Took a little time to set it all up. Got to say, the Marantz interface is very user friendly and intuitive to get all the things set up. Even a beginner will have no issues getting everything right.
Went through the Audessey calibration (via the purchased app on Google), very happy with the calibration process and it seems to do a great job in optimising the acoustic of my room.
The surround sound (non atmos) was fantastic already, the sound seem to naturally envelope me even in several different seating positions, this is a new sensation to me and I would imagine it is probably down to the great calibration software.
First impression, sound was very detailed and I can pick up a lot more subtlety in all the channels throughout the movie.
However, I did notice the sound (especially the vocal) was slightly leaner than my Audiocontrol unit. It seems to lack a bit of "meat" in the voice, might need to do further tweaking to improve it a bit.
Overall, happy so far in terms of movie experience. Will need to get my atmos setup to really take advantage of the unit.
But I think it will benefit from further tweaking and burning in.

20180822_185232.jpg.3f507d5d62724ecf97704dc7b53d6fb9.jpg

Edited by cyberkank
  • Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the Marantz 8805, it seems that the unit does settle down after a week or two the sound is a bit more meaty and not as lean anymore. 

I have also made minor tweaked to the initial Audessey calibration (like Tasso said earlier, the auto calibration get you 90% there, but the final 10% you have to fiddle to optimize for your own ears). 

One thing that is worth mentioning is the "Cinema EQ" function. I found that to be very useful in my case as it tames a lot of glares that can come from certain scenes in the movies previously that can be ear piercing. Now it sounds a lot more like the cinema experience, much more natural. Don't really know if this function also affects the "Stereo" or not.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

My 8805 has definitely picked up the pace with a good number of hours under its belt.  Its a keeper!

Edited by Tasso
On 07/09/2018 at 7:42 AM, cyberkank said:

"Cinema EQ" function. I found that to be very useful in my case as it tames a lot of glares that can come from certain scenes in the movies previously that can be ear piercing.

The Cinema EQ function was originally designed to compensate for movie  sound tracks that had extra treble bias added so that the sound would appear normal and not dull, in large theatres full of people.  In home theatre situations it could sound glaring.  I am not sure  if all movies are done the same way these days but in any event, the Cine-eq function on the 8805 does seem to  improve the sound nicely.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all. 

I have just set up my 8805 with some Elektra amps and connected to my JVC N7. 

On the first day of use, the audio would cut out after a minute or so. Then maybe after 10 seconds. When it cuts out, soft static like scratching sounds could be heard from the speakers. 

I got a bit frustrated so went to bed and tried the next day. Thankfully the issue had resolved itself and I was able to use the system like normal. Wonderful. 

tonight however, it happened again about an hour into a movie. Changing sound modes seems to fix the issue. Switching from Dolby surround to something else and back again. 

in one instance tonight, when it cut out there was a decent pop through all speakers and a solid thud through the sub. 

in the final instance which was the worst, audio cut out then a very loud high pitch sound like an alarm played through all speakers simultaneously. 

again, switching sound formats fixed the issue and we were able to watch the remaining 40 mins of the movie. 

Any ideas what may be causing this?

My first thought was something shorting. But why so inconsistent? My second thought was maybe an HDMI issue with the projector. The audio has cut out when using both my Apple TV for movies/tv/music and when I simply used Airplay from my iPhone directly to the Marantz 8805. 

I doubt it’s heat related because the amps and Marantz are only just warm to the touch. Nor power supply related as I’m not running the system hot at all. 

I also wondered if it was when the PSA sub was auto powering off then on again as the input signal triggered it, but I tried making that happen and no problem occurred. Or perhaps could it be other appliances in the house causing issues? Like a dishwasher or dryer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. this audio issue is ruining an otherwise amazing experience in both sound and visuals so far. 

kindest regards,

Scott

Edited by scottrichardson

Intermittent issues are the worst.  Start videoing the issue where you can as this will help if you have to take it back to the retailer.  If it doesn't fault for them, they may just keep sending it back.  A video makes that more difficult for them to do.

Not sure what it could be, there could be many causes.  Obviously re-check all of your cabling.  Then turn off all auto functions that are HDMI related and keep them off.  Then try removing all sources one at a time and test it.

Are you running a ceiling fan on the same power run?

• Like 1

As Kaynin said, intermittent issues are a pain. It took me several afternoons to isolate a bad interconnect cable between the 8805 and power amp that caused the left front channel to cut out intermittently. Turns out the cable ( RCA audio quest brand) has a short in the outer shield connection as I could reproduce the fault by squeezing lightly the shield jacket, but it was a bugger to find.

Agree with Kaynin....video it with your phone when it happens again and try fault finding logically. Other forums are mentioning a known firmware fault with latest update concerning bleeding of sound from centre channel to other channels that affects Dolby origin material; DTS tracks not affected, and Marantz Denon are working a solution.

I would start with cables as the likely source...but it could be anything in  the chain. Suspect my issue was caused by a pet traversing the space behind the equipment when I wasn’t home, but it could also have been my clumsy fingers bending the jacket when I installed the 8805 a few weeks back.

Good luck!!

The loud hum through all speakers may be caused by a ground loop that can come and go. To avoid that make sure all electrical components in your system are connected to the same circuit. 

5 hours ago, IanRM said:

As Kaynin said, intermittent issues are a pain. It took me several afternoons to isolate a bad interconnect cable between the 8805 and power amp that caused the left front channel to cut out intermittently. Turns out the cable ( RCA audio quest brand) has a short in the outer shield connection as I could reproduce the fault by squeezing lightly the shield jacket, but it was a bugger to find.

Agree with Kaynin....video it with your phone when it happens again and try fault finding logically. Other forums are mentioning a known firmware fault with latest update concerning bleeding of sound from centre channel to other channels that affects Dolby origin material; DTS tracks not affected, and Marantz Denon are working a solution.

I would start with cables as the likely source...but it could be anything in  the chain. Suspect my issue was caused by a pet traversing the space behind the equipment when I wasn’t home, but it could also have been my clumsy fingers bending the jacket when I installed the 8805 a few weeks back.

Good luck!!

Mines hooked up via XLR. all except the sub which is RCA. 

I spoke with the guys at Qualifi today, and they were lovely and helpful. Gave me a bunch of things to try for now, including power cycle, firmware update, and firmware reset. Failing those I’ll unplug all XLR and sub and plug one in at a time and test. 

The intermittent nature of the issue makes it difficult to know when to film. 

Otherwise, the out of the box sound is amazing. Still yet to run REW or Audyssey. 

• Like 1