Bluetooth receiver purchase advise

I have a NAD C355 integrated amplifier which runs a turntable and a CD player. I’m looking into purchasing some new bookshelf speakers for the setup. I also want to make the setup Bluetooth compatible so I can stream audio from phone/devices etc. My question is would a more expensive receiver like the Audioengine B1 with what I believe has built in DAC capabilities be worthwhile over day a cheaper Logitech model? Will I actually get that much better results? Ultimately I’d rather more money to spend on speakers so this the dilemma I’m currently weighing up. Sorry for the long post any advice is greatly appreciated thanks. 

I have a QED uPlay Plus I don't use anymore that I could part with. 

It has an optical out or RCA.

Works and sounds good enough to me.

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/qed-uplay-plus.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&gclid=CjwKCAjwxZnYBRAVEiwANMTRXyIKk_quPUHiXBVdAuTh2ctyWEWmQvhgkTeqnvg__rMkpIdkH3iFVhoC_6IQAvD_BwE

PM me if you're interested.

4 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

I have a QED uPlay Plus I don't use anymore that I could part with. 

It has an optical out or RCA.

Works and sounds good enough to me.

I used to have one of these, great little bits of kit and as far as Bluetooth goes they sound good to me too.

Ultimately I moved away from this and started using a Chromecast Audio, a little more convenient for me as I can pick up any device in the house as a 'controller' and not have to bother with the whole pairing thing. 

The optical output of the Chromecast Audio compared to the optical output of the QED sounds as good to me through my Cyrus DAC but the RCA output of the QED sounded significantly better than using a 3.5.mm to RCA lead from the Chromecast Audio.

If the price that @dirktoggler is offering the QED at works for you it's a good option.

• Like 3

Hi Josh 83

I bought one of the audioengine b1 Bluetooth unit to have a muck around with 

Havent had any drop outs 

Works really well  even using the internal dac

Tried digital out to an  external dac  but couldn't  tell the difference

I think the Logitech will work ok but this ones a better option 

David

Edited by david j
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the Audioengine B1 and can attest that it is rock solid (for 4+ years now).

However, be warned if you plan on connecting to it with an iPhone, since iOS doesn’t support the aptX Bluetooth codec, iPhones fall back to the pretty bad SBC codec when connecting to the B1 — despite Audioengine’s tech specs page listing AAC as a supported codec (AAC being the aptX-quality Bluetooth codec that iOS does speak).

You can see what codec an iPhone is using for a Bluetooth connection by viewing the device logs.

When I emailed Audioengine about it their reponse was pretty disappointing, “we could have included an AAC codec in B1 but it didn’t seem to make sense as aptX does what we need it to do.”

Edit: I’m not sure there are any Bluetooth receivers on the market that do support AAC, though.

Edited by nicv
More info re: AAC codec.

Hi Josh

What did you end up with and how is it going?

I’m still undecided at the moment. I have bought the bookshelves already a pair of Dynaudio Emit 20’s. I also own a Denon Heos sound bar/sub and 2 wireless speakers. I’m now thinking of purchasing the Heos Link pre amp https://www.au.denon.com/au/heoslinkhs2
As I understand this will join my Nad and speakers into the Heos network. Maybe the possibility of adding an external DAC also down the road when money allows.
Again I’m open to discussion or other opinions happy to do plenty of research.