Conrad Johnson "it just sounds right"...

As their slogan goes as per above;

I've had far too many amplifiers in various types of systems over a few decades. Previously owned CJ dealerships, started out as a hobby grew into a passion or as the good wife says an "obsession" which has led me into a varied from of character, one that not only enjoys high quality music but also enjoys the art of listening to good recorded music.

Having burnt fingers along the way and leading up to upgrades for no good reason other than "must have that" syndrome... Has resulted in too many mistakes not only costing money but also hardships in life... 

After selling off the most loveable monoblocks I've ever owned by CJ, which were the Premier 8's very long ago in a far away place, I though I'd never be able to afford another pair of CJ monoblocks again. Several others took its place, such as VTL & Manley Labs, also Melos for a short while, until I ventured back into stereo amplifiers. The cost of CJ amplification was rising fast from even the entry level to the SOTA, prices ranging from $7500 - $35,000!

However, once in a lifetime something superb comes down from the heavens, and if you're patient enough that item/s could well be in your living room in no time. And this leads to a quick update-

Managed to acquire the CJ LP125m monoblocks! It certainly took a while but was well worth the wait. 

The amplifiers will be picked up on Monday and I know how these things capture every subtle detail with finesse, take full control over panels and have a superb grip on stats, they are simply outstanding! Would I have waited a bit longer to settle for a newer pair or consider the LP275m's or perhaps the top of the line ART 300's, maybe... But this type of power and expenditure is definitely not in my ethics of "high quality music reproduction". This can be achieved by careful planning, thoughtful expenditure and genuine relationships. 

Will post some pics once all set up properly in the shoebox... Now at least I can rest with ease having these beauties looking forward to driving a pair of CLX's in due time. At this point the Ethos stats  will do just fine, as there are a few priorities to get through first... 

Cheers to all who own monoblocks, look after them well and keep that music live! 

Big woof! RJ

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rogera said:

What are you running with the CJ gear?

At the moment, the system config:

Preamp: CJ PV15

Power amp: CJ Classic 60se

Digital source: McIntosh MCD301 sacd player.

Analog source: Rega RP3 TT with Rega Aria phonostages & separate power supply. Cartridge: Benz Micro glider SM

Speakers: Martin Logan Ethos

All power cords are Nordost Heimdall series 2, all interconnects are DHLabs Silver sonic air matrix, and power conditioning: Nordost Qbase 8 with QX4 + Thor PS-10 voltage stabilizer.

Everything rests on Nordost Sort kones to keep off unwanted resonances... TT & sacd player rest on Auralex Isotone platforms.

Far too many glass shelves/component racks, will be changing these once we move out but fabulous sound for the moment... 

Cheers, RJ 

I understand your satisfaction with your system, valves and electrostatics, seems to be the perfect marriage.
Love my Premier 12's and a rebuilt MV 75 feeding Quad 2912's via a Shindo Masseto pre, will never part with them ....well....not today.
Cheers Roger

Hey Roger, 

That's a superb combination CJ & Quads! Over several years I had the ESL63, then parted ways and went with ribbons. From Apogee's to Maggie's and then back to dynamic types, such as Infinity's and finally full circle back to Quads!

My last pair was the ESL 2905, gave me immense satisfaction as well as immense pain when repairs were needed and everything panels fell apart... 

Managed to repair them and get them in full working order by the marvelous help of John Hall. That's when I decided to quickly get them to a more worthy person who not only appreciates the Quad sound but also has ample funds for repairs and doesn't mind the hassle. I just couldn't deal with them any longer and these repairs were amounting to big costs, let alone transporting these huge stats each time a panel fails. 

I've written all about my disaster with Quads here on another post and had very good discussions with many. There are still quite a few who love their Quads and have had no problems so far... I guess I'm one of those chosen ones... 

Whiles I was at my dealer mates place picking up the CJ Mono's, he had the Quads hooked up to the LP125m's driven with the new CJ ET7! One word "aaawesome". The ET7 is superb! It can very easily compare to the GAT but the GATs2 is the only one with that extra edge in finesse & refinement. However, if it was my expenditure I would go for the ET7, and what it did with the Quads being driven with my Monoamps to be was simply amazing!

That depth and sense of immediacy in the soundstage is like no other. That special dispersion pattern that Peter Walker designed in the 50/60's is pure genius!

Even though I now use Martin Logan's and hope to one day have the full range CLX's, my all time favorite stat will always be the Quads. If not for those bloody disasters I wouldn't have even thought of letting them go.

The LP125m's are superb power amplifiers, they capture all the emotions, subtle detail and the most significant level of performance is the scale and sheer dynamics of music reproduction. It also takes the Ethos to further level of refinement. One that only brings the best out of your favorite tracks but also allows you to look and feel into the music. The amount of power driving the Ethos is perfect and a superb match. 

Comparing this directly to the Classic 60se, what I noticed straight away was the overall musicality remains the same, infact at any point identical I would say, which is a great trait of CJ, where all their amplifiers have a very high level of musicality. The most significant attributes right up front were the transient control and the grip it has over stats where it can accelerate and stop in a wink! Once stopped, the sudden rise time is so fast there is a sense of effortless drive where the KT120's are just cruising along... 

The depth in soundstage and layering is pretty much the same as the classic 60se, and I would have loved to hold onto the classic 60se but knowing that I will eventually settle for a full range stat, the monoblocks truly deliver everything that is required.

I need to now figure out a few minor adjustments to accommodate the tube cages, since the kt120's are slightly taller than the standard 6550's... This is just to cover the tubes when not in use so that our curious little kitty doesn't decide to warm his bum on the top...

Enjoy those monoblocks mate, they're a very rare breed... 

I know of the premier 12's well and we sold quite a few pairs during the way. Only one pair of prem8's were ever sold in our tiny island of paradise but then again for our humble country people the price of prem8 monoblocks was quite a lot! 

Cheers mate and have a good one,

Big woof!  RJ

Pic 1: main system & pic 2: is of me giving the all is well! 

IMG20180528223130.jpg

IMG20180528222020.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, not sure how the heck he got in there... But here's a pic of the other one who is a real lovable rascal!

For some reason the little bugger doesn't go near the tubes at all, probably because the cages are off... ? 

I need to get to Bunnings for some slightly taller rubber feet to accommodate the cages since the kt120's are much taller than the 6550's.

I placed some smaller feet that I got from our own store but it still touches the tubes very slightly... 

Cats names are Bagel & Dusty (snuffles) is the younger fella. 

Cheers mate, better get back to it as the boys are running amock... 

RJ 

IMG20180529130757.jpg

IMG20180418140430.jpg

IMG20171203141644.jpg

• Like 3

Holly Molly!  Those are the Prem 8's!

Awesome indeed! 

When I got your message and the pic, I just had to stop the press! 

These are rare gems mate, unfortunately no longer in production. We sold only one pair of these in our tiny island. The Prem 11, 12 & 8 are a masterpiece classic. Not only the sound but the looks, nothing compares to that finish and build quality. 

BTW, what preamp are you using and what are your speakers? 

Any chance of a listen? This would probably make me cry, it's been quite a very very long time since I've seen one of those. Brings back too many memories, all good though back in the hey day... 

Cheers mate, must be sounding outstanding! 

Very big woof & a meow from all, RJ