Ittaku

Amateur OB speaker builder and his ARC based digital system

37 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Look what came in the mail! Time to get soldering again, and then redo all the DSP from scratch.

IMG_20191106_122156.thumb.jpg.ddfd468a6d86f890d70a96ffdda6cf3d.jpg

Very nice - but what are they for, Con?

Andy

On 29/10/2019 at 9:26 PM, Ittaku said:

Got my X4 back and have been reworking my room correction again. It was still under warranty so that was nice. Now that I've had my speakers stable for an extended period, it's become apparent to me that my DSP is doing too much "speaker correction" in addition to the room correction. Whilst it's not necessarily a bad thing since the DSP is a permanent part of my system, I know that I'll get a better sound with less boosting and relying mostly on gentle taming of peaks instead. Now that I've got a good handle of my speakers' in-room response, I've had a long think about the balance of the drivers and think I can improve things a lot to require less speaker correction. So I ordered another $250 worth of resistors to tweak the tweeter and midrange crossovers. It won't be an extensive rework, only affecting balance. Because of the effect the resistors will have on impedance of the midranges below their crossover point, it will cause much more attenuation at their resonant frequency. This should lead to more power handling as the midranges are the rate-limiting part of the speakers - even though it gets deafeningly loud (by my standards) now already, and I do have loads more power to play with. Less excursion of the midranges at higher volumes should improve their linearity as well. Parts should come within 2 weeks for this next fine-tuning.

As above Andy.

15 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very nice - but what are they for, Con?

Duelund graphite silver for the series resistors and Mills non-inductive for the parallel.

52 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

As above Andy.

Duelund graphite silver for the series resistors and Mills non-inductive for the parallel.

Thanks, Con.  :thumb:

Andy

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Look what came in the mail! Time to get soldering again, and then redo all the DSP from scratch.

IMG_20191106_122156.thumb.jpg.ddfd468a6d86f890d70a96ffdda6cf3d.jpg

Those silver/graphite resistors are interesting.  Haven't see anything like that before.

33 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thanks, Con.  :thumb:

In terms of crossover complexity, it means I've added two resistors to the tweeters but the rest remains unchanged, only the values have been tweaked.

I just finished soldering them in and doing the "antimode" DSP in the X4 and am already happy! There's a hell of a lot less correction going on, and I'm pretty much only adding bass and treble shelves to suit my taste this time and almost no extra parametric EQs. The numbers look much better (including group delay and minimum phase), the  stage and sound is very concrete, and the bass is just breathing life into the music better, and sounding more coherent. Because I've effectively made the speakers 5dB lower sensitivity (now 87 instead of 92), the power amp gauges even flicker almost up to 1W during normal listening now! I need the family to go out before I can test whether it's improved the max power handling ;) Of course all of this is without burning in the resistors, but... I don't think resistors really burn in much if at all so I'm not expecting the sound to change.

Of course you know that means another GTG once I'm happy. :)

My son says there's more microdetail and better microdynamics. He spent a few minutes describing what he meant since he didn't know the terminology for it though. Interesting.

It certainly cost me less than the 160Ms would have set me back... I might listen to this for a few months and then reassess down the track to see if it can even be improved further. The speakers were originally meant to just be prototypes; it's just that it took so long to build the baffles and my hearing went off that I decided to shelve any further development.

Edited by Ittaku

35 minutes ago, frednork said:

what type of resistors did the duelund replace?

The same sort of duelunds. I'm just tweaking the balance between drivers.

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Of course you know that means another GTG once I'm happy. :)

Naturellement!  :thumb:

Andy

Finally found a USB cable that made a difference! But not a good one... :P

A friend lent me this fancy looking cable that was meant to be for audio. Of course the actual audio didn't sound any different to me, but on quiet passages I was getting clicking noises.

IMG_20191108_163949.thumb.jpg.55114a139824e39d8ea1b691713f6f70.jpg

Ripped that POS out and put the printer cable that literally came with my printer back in and everything is working again. Just goes to show that what we need are cables that adhere to standards, not audio malarkey. Admittedly this was a pretty nasty cable but it cost him $60 whereas mine was free.

It’s an easy trap for younger players - never under an circumstance use a stripey USB cable, and certainly not one with buoyancy devices. 

Sold on AliExpress :|

I'd be curious, however, to see how the Curious cables work in your application.

Edited by lemarquis

Just now, lemarquis said:

Sold on AliExpress ;)

I'd be curious, however, to see how the Curious cables work in your application.

All USB cables sound the same in my system - unless they outright fail, like that one did.

More to the point, this is a recurring theme. Do not buy cheap Chinese junk. Even if it looks like something, it is almost always garbage. Making a USB cable that meets the USB specifications is extraordinarily easy. In the quest to make this appear to be an audiophile cable, it clearly wouldn't have even met the standards, let alone offered any kind of advantage. Having said that, I'm quite aware that there are some ludicrously expensive USB cables from popular audio cable manufacturers that also do not meet the specification. I'll let the reader decide what that means.

For reference here's the cable that "sounded" much better (by simply working properly):

IMG_20191108_185701.thumb.jpg.b047e9d07097ef25fb679015e3deaf56.jpg

At the Return of the Jedi concert with the MSO today. Really looking forward to it!