Ittaku

Amateur OB speaker builder and his ARC based digital system

Just now, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

yes that's the one

Generally not a fan of the DG sound in recordings. I'll see what the samples are like. Thanks for the recommendation!

Had a private GTG at home today. Unlike other times when you invite people over and something goes wrong, system was sounding magic and we had a lovely afternoon of great music, company, banter, wine, and cheese. Cheers to hi-fi for making it happen.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Had a private GTG at home today. Unlike other times when you invite people over and something goes wrong, system was sounding magic and we had a lovely afternoon of great music, company, banter, wine, and cheese. Cheers to hi-fi for making it happen.

Photos of wine cheese and HiFi 

Edited by PKay

Thanks, Con, it was a very nice arvo. 

Fantastic range of music on an absolutely superb sounding system.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, PKay said:

Photos of wine cheese and HiFi 

All cleaned up, sorry :( Hi-Fi as above.

Edited by Ittaku

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

All cleaned up, sorry :( Hi-Fi as above.

Perhaps next time.

Yes, Con - your system sounds magnificent!  :thumb:  So glad you were finally able to get your amp problem solved.

Mind you, I do have a couple of power cords at home which you might like to try ... if you want even better sound!  :winky:

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

Yes, Con - your system sounds magnificent!  :thumb:  So glad you were finally able to get your amp problem solved.

Mind you, I do have a couple of power cords at home which you might like to try ... if you want even better sound!  :winky:

Haha. No power cords were harmed in the making of this Get ToGether.

Valve testing time. Every 250 hours seems about right. All still good.

IMG_20190818_104901.thumb.jpg.318785a3e2ffa65e5cbddf8ed08c6cc1.jpg

Hey Con, 

That gadget looks very interesting, especially if it identifies the health of tubes... 

Few questions:

1. What is this thing called and the brand? 

2. Where can I get one? 

3. Does it identify those typical parameters for tubes? Such as,  Plate/grid current, MA rating, etc... 

4. So within certain readings, it should identify whether a tube is no good or not? 

5. If good, then how long more can that tube be used, before failure? 

6. I'm assuming it can also test out input, driver, phase inverter, rectifier and main output tubes? Can this device test all of these types or only certain types? 

Each time one of the monoblocks tubes start playing up, I have to trial and error which tube, takes awhile but eventually I find the culprit. Having this gadget seems like a must have device for anyone using tubed pre-power in their systems.

Now I have an additional 3 more tubes in the chain after acquiring the CJ phonostage. Would certainly be wonderful to be able to check tubes without having to replace them unnecessarily... 

Would like to know your advice and feedback. Thanks mate, 

RJ 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Hey Con, 

That gadget looks very interesting, especially if it identifies the health of tubes... 

Few questions:

1. What is this thing called and the brand? 

2. Where can I get one? 

3. Does it identify those typical parameters for tubes? Such as,  Plate/grid current, MA rating, etc... 

4. So within certain readings, it should identify whether a tube is no good or not? 

5. If good, then how long more can that tube be used, before failure? 

6. I'm assuming it can also test out input, driver, phase inverter, rectifier and main output tubes? Can this device test all of these types or only certain types? 

Each time one of the monoblocks tubes start playing up, I have to trial and error which tube, takes awhile but eventually I find the culprit. Having this gadget seems like a must have device for anyone using tubed pre-power in their systems.

Now I have an additional 3 more tubes in the chain after acquiring the CJ phonostage. Would certainly be wonderful to be able to check tubes without having to replace them unnecessarily... 

Would like to know your advice and feedback. Thanks mate, 

RJ 

Hi RJ

1. It's a maximatcher II. Cost me about $1k. Worth it if you have as expensive power tubes as I have and you plan to use valves long term.

https://www.maximatcher.com/maximatcher.html

2. Above website, they sell directly and are safe.

3. The maximatcher only tests power valves. It will give you idle current and transconductance which are the two most important things. It also can test for relative shorts with <1k ohms between plates.

4. Yes it has a list of readings for different power tube types and recommended levels for idle current and TC. When the idle current falls too low, or the TC falls below the minimum spec, you know the valve is past its life.

5. I honestly don't know! But you can definitely keep valves for as long as they read above spec on this knowing they'll be working properly. However, it tells you nothing about distortion and valves can still amplify satisfactorily (reading a high enough transconductance) but produce a lot more distortion as they age, so it's not a foolproof way to know the valves are still working well.

6. Unfortunately the maximatcher only tests power valves (which are used in regulator, driver and output stages. )

They have a separate device for testing input valves as they have their own requirements for measurement (I have no experience with this device as I don't have one:)

https://www.maximatcher.com/maxipreamp.html

There isn't a tester from these guys that tests rectifiers. Rectifiers tend to fail pretty obviously when they do, they just blow a fuse with them.

I bought this because replacing the power valves in my amps costs about $2k and over time this will allow me to have smarter decision making for valve replacement. It's worth nothing that its primary usage is for matching valves - when you have idle currents within 5% of each other they're considered "matched" and even if your power amp can bias valves separately, if they're in push-pull pairs they will last longer if they are matched (and probably perform better.) I use this to test the matching stays within spec, and sometimes rotate valves to bring the ones that are closer in idle current together as they do change slightly over time.

Generally when I test them, I put them in the "short test" socket for a second - which can immediately test for shorts, then move them into the testing sockets and use a timer to heat them for exactly 2 minutes before checking their values.

Edited by Ittaku

Thanks for the info and update on this testing device Con, much appreciated.

I remember when at the time I was just about to finalise on the amplifiers, there were a pair of CJ LP275's on offer. Now these are the big boys, double the layout of output tubes, input and driver/phase inverter stages were pretty much the same but output tube replacement costs were similar to the 2 grand mark, as in your amps...

Quite sometime back I also had the mighty VTL's and Manley Labs reference 350's, again 16 or so output tubes to replace...  More suited for difficult loads, such as Infinity's, Thiels & Dunlevey's, Apogee's and older Martin Logan's. 

Now with the CLX's that have far higher efficiency, all they need to perform well is stable current drive, which the LP125m's are more than adequate to drive, control and grip the stats to their full potential. So it's a good thing my output tube replacement cost is actually quite manageable. Not even the whole tube replacement set is as much.

If and when testing is emminent, I usually send the tubes upto QLD for testing, since they use a very similar gadget that's able to give reliable readings. Also prior to ordering I always get "Quad-matched" tubes in sets of two, simply because each monoblock only requires 4 output tubes. Way less maintenance costs compared to 8 or 16 output tubes per side! Plus the smaller ones, it all adds up... 

I'm still curious though, it looks like a marvellous gadget, especially with digital readings. Very cool! 😎

I may look into it and give it some thought... Cheers for that, RJ

11 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Thanks for the info and update on this testing device Con, much appreciated.

I remember when at the time I was just about to finalise on the amplifiers, there were a pair of CJ LP275's on offer. Now these are the big boys, double the layout of output tubes, input and driver/phase inverter stages were pretty much the same but output tube replacement costs were similar to the 2 grand mark, as in your amps...

Quite sometime back I also had the mighty VTL's and Manley Labs reference 350's, again 16 or so output tubes to replace...  More suited for difficult loads, such as Infinity's, Thiels & Dunlevey's, Apogee's and older Martin Logan's. 

Now with the CLX's that have far higher efficiency, all they need to perform well is stable current drive, which the LP125m's are more than adequate to drive, control and grip the stats to their full potential. So it's a good thing my output tube replacement cost is actually quite manageable. Not even the whole tube replacement set is as much.

If and when testing is emminent, I usually send the tubes upto QLD for testing, since they use a very similar gadget that's able to give reliable readings. Also prior to ordering I always get "Quad-matched" tubes in sets of two, simply because each monoblock only requires 4 output tubes. Way less maintenance costs compared to 8 or 16 output tubes per side! Plus the smaller ones, it all adds up... 

I'm still curious though, it looks like a marvellous gadget, especially with digital readings. Very cool! 😎

I may look into it and give it some thought... Cheers for that, RJ

If you ever need to test some power valves in the interim, feel free to drop by and I'll put them on the tester for you. It only takes 3 minutes to test 4 valves at a time.

Borrowed the MSB network renderer module for the DAC which acts as a roon endpoint. Been experimenting with calculating my own calculated parametric filters directly no Roon similar to what the Dspeaker X4 is applying. The idea is to see if I can get good enough room correction with the Dspeaker without actively crossing over the main speakers so that I can then play much higher sample rates. This means I'll be able to upsample all my files to 705 or 768. So far so good... Need more experimentation time and auditioning.