Ittaku

Amateur OB speaker builder and his ARC based digital system

Looking forward to visiting in a couple of weeks 👍

Currently have the electrician over checking if he can install me some 20A lines :)

Put three lines in. Two separate 20A lines, one for each power amp, and another line for 10A devices. Now all the hifi will be on its own lines, separate from the rest of the house. Once the power's turned back on, I can start auditioning.IMG_20190122_141443.thumb.jpg.6ec6c1be0bc60ea8259a67ffaf42e48f.jpg

Hahahaha, I've got buzzing again from the new power arrangement, I just want to cry 🤦‍♂️

Alright time to see what special arrangement will make the preamp behave now 😕

Yay, found a solution. The power supply on the MSB DAC has an earth lug, and connecting that to the common earth on the unbalanced inputs on the preamp fixes it. Weird schmit. Anyway back to auditioning...

So quieter backgrounds, blacker blacks, deeper soundstage, bigger representation, more authority, better bass, more punch, a veil's been lifted from the sound, microdetails brought out, right...? NOPE. Couldn't hear anything different. Only thing was more top end, as though the treble had been turned up a couple of dB. I even did a frequency sweep to see but it was identical. Then I realised it was much more humid today and that's probably just affected my hearing compared to the dry days before and it had nothing to do with the power supply change. Well, at least they're on their own power lines now and I won't trigger the breaker when running it flat out and something else is consuming power on the same circuit.

The power amps came with JPS labs black power cables (at around $900 each) and as readers of my posts will be aware, I've not found power cables make a difference, so I figured I'd try some regular off the shelf cables but ones with a 15A plug instead of the JPS cables with regular (furutech) 10A one which has a much bigger earth prong. Unsurprisingly this sounded the same too. I've ordered a couple of cables with actual 20A plugs on the end too, which have bigger active and neutral prongs too. I'm not expecting any sound improvement, but the contact at least will be guaranteed excellent. Maybe I'll replace the furutech 10A plugs with the 20A Clipsal ones that are coming with the cables I ordered, or maybe it's time to sell some power cables...

Forgot to mention this little fella as being part of the hi-fi.

IMG_20190127_171455.thumb.jpg.4efa5bcd6598af7f96c30a4e175a2e69.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone else considers a humidifier as part of their hi-fi, but this makes a bigger difference than all the cables combined on a dry day. I mentioned earlier the improvement in the top end when I first put my MSB DAC in, as I usually don't turn this on during regular background music listening, but if it's a dry day and I'm doing serious auditioning, I make sure the humidity is at least 45% if possible.

Here's a little bit of hard science to support its use (note this is 30m so the effect at 5m listening distance in my room will be much less):

Figure-1-19.png

We used it today during the mscaler audition in my system. To avoid duplicating that review here, I'll link directly to the comment in the mscaler thread:

Have been doing some upscaling experiments. See the below thread:

Also these 20A guys arrived. No I don't think they're going to make an audible difference, but look at the size of those contacts! The power amps certainly aren't going to complain, and they were only $20 each. The clipsal plugs alone are usually about $100.

IMG_20190129_134337.thumb.jpg.c99df1ff4491656c0e68236ecd86fd62.jpg

Good way of doing it, very industrial. Will have to update your sockets now to suit the plugs.

Just now, lusk said:

Good way of doing it, very industrial. Will have to update your sockets now to suit the plugs.

That already happened a page back :) Or do you mean to put the outdoor style screw locks? I don't think that's needed.

Edited by Ittaku

4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

That already happened a page back :) Or do you mean to put the outdoor style screw locks? I don't think that's needed.

Yeah they normally go with the screw flip lid socket to get the IP66 rating, not really needed.

Since I've started ripping a few CDs and upscaling them to add to my collection of highres audio, I realised that I have NINE different performances of Beethoven's 9th symphony. If that's not evidence of what my favourite piece of music is, I don't know what is... I'm now creating a playlist of JUST those and will slowly work my way through them :)

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

ripping a few CDs and upscaling them to add to my collection of highres audio

Oh dear. That's different from my definition of HiRes.

I have a big problem of marketeers selling us "HiRes" that's simply upscaled LoRes.

Perhaps in this context it's different, but I think we need to be cautious with terminology.

12 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

Oh dear. That's different from my definition of HiRes.

I have a big problem of marketeers selling us "HiRes" that's simply upscaled LoRes.

Perhaps in this context it's different, but I think we need to be cautious with terminology.

No, I have a huge collection of actual highres. I just needed to rip half a dozen CDs and am upscaling them. I don't consider them highres, just heavily filtered upscales. See the software upscaling thread for discussion. I was just saying I was adding them to my collection; NOT that they are highres.

Edited by Ittaku