Amateur OB speaker builder and his ARC based digital system

Good going there, Con -  you’ve managed to combine the twin petty, inevitable and inescapable irritations of all our existences - couriers and goddam printers.

hope they fix it quick.

Edited by buddyev
  • Haha 1

Here's a little something I captured a few nights ago with my new hobby that was far more rewarding than fighting printers and couriers. I won't be dumping lots of these here though since it's off topic :)

200910_Jupiter.png.750baa9e22657beab537c25a16f58e46.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Here's a little something I captured a few nights ago with my new hobby that was far more rewarding than fighting printers and couriers. I won't be dumping lots of these here though since it's off topic :)

200910_Jupiter.png.750baa9e22657beab537c25a16f58e46.png

Saturn, Con?

Andy

• Haha 2

On 13/09/2020 at 5:42 PM, buddyev said:

goddamn printers.

Replace all the toner cartridges: $487, replace printer: $267... I'm horrified by just how wasteful it is to replace the printer every time the toner runs out because it's more economical. This pricing structure speaks volumes about the business model, but it's killing me.

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Replace all the toner cartridges: $487, replace printer: $267... I'm horrified by just how wasteful it is to replace the printer every time the toner runs out because it's more economical. This pricing structure speaks volumes about the business model, but it's killing me.

I really hate its as well. i took a bootload of old printers from Joss's office to Officeworks a while ago. I'm not entirely confident they don't end up in landfill. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I preordered a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 DAC for my headphone system (I sold on the Topping a while back) for $1276.  It has an impressive list of features and specifications from a manufacturer that usually lives up to its promises, and I can see this being some kind of price point sweet spot for ultra high quality, virtual high end, and features.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html#

If my Meniere's disease destroys the hearing in my other ear, I'll sell off the MSB and use this for the whole system.

18 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I've now completed my purchase of ALL of the Bach cantatas. My Bach music collection now runs for almost 7 continuous days. That's a lot of cheese and wine.

I know how you feel.  :hmm:  I have never even tried to listen to my complete Wagner - Ring Cycle set, and that's only about 15 hours!

• Like 1

Just now, aussievintage said:

I know how you feel.  :hmm:  I have never even tried to listen to my complete Wagner - Ring Cycle set, and that's only about 15 hours!

Actually I do get to listen to all my music as I work with it on all the time, so I get about 8 hours' worth each day.

21 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Actually I do get to listen to all my music as I work with it on all the time, so I get about 8 hours' worth each day.

It’s too bad, is it, getting to listen to the worlds greatest music all day while you work. 

• Like 1

Just now, buddyev said:

Have you got the power plant back yet?

Nope, after the shipping saga they finally got it and it's still in their workshop as they try to reproduce the problem (1st issue) and then figure out just what it is that needs fixing. Typical saga with an intermittent problem ?

On 21/09/2020 at 8:43 AM, Ittaku said:

I have sorted my printing couple of years ago with one of these, cheap and easy with good quality, 6 tousands pages per tank, each cost about 15-20 bucks depends on the size so in case of 4 colors 80 bucks

https://epson.com/ecotank-ink-tank-printers

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 12:18 PM, Ittaku said:

I preordered a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 DAC for my headphone system (I sold on the Topping a while back) for $1276.  It has an impressive list of features and specifications from a manufacturer that usually lives up to its promises, and I can see this being some kind of price point sweet spot for ultra high quality, virtual high end, and features.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html#

If my Meniere's disease destroys the hearing in my other ear, I'll sell off the MSB and use this for the whole system.

Here in record time thanks to Shenzhen Audio. Honestly I thought I was just preordering it but it arrived in five days. This already sounds significantly cleaner than the DX7s I swapped it for. I guess I should try it in my main system...

PXL_20201005_014856221.thumb.jpg.d5c35a830cf786fa05f1b0544c3983bb.jpg

On 05/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, Ittaku said:

I guess I should try it in my main system...

Always up for testing something out that may challenge my views. After testing it... yeah nope, it can stay in the headphone system...

Edited by Ittaku

Just got a call from Magenta Audio. They can't fault anything with the P20. Having been through this insane scenario before, I told them to hold onto it for as long as it took to reproduce the fault because as it stands, it's nothing but a $17,000 door stop for me. Of course they blame my system or wiring or power for it misbehaving but that defeats the whole purpose of having something that's meant to stabilise my power - it's doing exactly the opposite. If they still can't fault anything with it after another few weeks, I guess I have no choice but to sell it when they return it since I can't use it with my system.

6 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Of course they blame my system or wiring or power for it misbehaving but that defeats the whole purpose of having something that's meant to stabilise my power - it's doing exactly the opposite. If they still can't fault anything with it after another few weeks, I guess I have no choice but to sell it when they return it since I can't use it with my system.

You should not have to sell it at all.

If this is marketed as making the power supply stable  and  is causing the opposite to happen then it is not fit for purpose and should be either replaced or your money refunded.

• Like 2

Just now, rantan said:

You should not have to sell it at all.

If this is marketed as making the power supply stable  and  is causing the opposite to happen then it is not fit for purpose and should be either replaced or your money refunded.

That's very logical, but I bought it second hand myself.

That's very logical, but I bought it second hand myself.

OK. That does change things somewhat, but where is the goodwill from the seller?

Customers should never be blamed and a fault is just that, even if intermittent. I have seen this scenario many times during my previous audio sales career and if there is mutual goodwill a solution should ( and can ) be arrived upon.

• Like 1

Just now, rantan said:

OK. That does change things somewhat, but where is the goodwill from the seller?

Customers should never be blamed and a fault is just that, even if intermittent. I have seen this scenario many times during my previous audio sales career and if there is mutual goodwill a solution should ( and can ) be arrived upon.

Thanks. The seller was mightily embarrassed when I said I had a problem as he had had no issues with it, but given it's a private sale, I'm not sure I should really "blame" him and expect him to take it back. I think my only recourse is to talk to Magenta who are the distributors and service centre for it, but I suspect I have absolutely no leg to stand on. Which leaves me with just selling it, or using it as a $17,000 doorstop. What would you suggest I demand?

Thanks. The seller was mightily embarrassed when I said I had a problem as he had had no issues with it, but given it's a private sale, I'm not sure I should really "blame" him and expect him to take it back. I think my only recourse is to talk to Magenta who are the distributors and service centre for it, but I suspect I have absolutely no leg to stand on. Which leaves me with just selling it, or using it as a $17,000 doorstop. What would you suggest I demand?

what it doesn't do instead of supposed to do? any figures you can claim which do not meet given specs?

Just now, kukynas said:

what it doesn't do instead of supposed to do? any figures you can claim which do not meet given specs?

It powers off spontaneously without warning or error, and thinks everything's working fine. I can't prove it's doing it since they've had it in their workshop for two weeks and not been able to reproduce the problem - I seem to be the master of finding irreproducible intermittent fault hardware. It's entirely believable that there is a minor earth leak or something in one of my devices (Supratek preamp, I'm looking at you) but my hardware does not pose a problem with my normal power or wiring. The P20 is meant to protect and clean upstream power, it's not meant to have to cope with (potentially faulty?) hardware downstream, so if that's actually the problem, there's nothing wrong with it.