Solo: A Star Wars Story

Had quite low expectations for this after the awful  last jedi .

A change of director to Ron Howard and talk of the lead actor needing acting lessons.

But I reckon he does a great job , dare I say he is a better charming and roguish Han Solo than the often wooden Harrison Ford.

The guy playing Lando is good too , as is Emilia Clarke .

This a good rollicking fun star wars movie , thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well done Ron Howard .

• Like 3

I liked it a lot. Good fun, nice to see Chewie getting more screen time, and how Chewie and Han met. Nice surprises here and there (although I can't for the life of me figure out the meaning in the end).

Donald Glover as Lando NAILS it. The rest were good. A nice add-on to the Star Wars Universe.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Box office wise this film appears to be a disaster for Disney and Lucasfilm. It fall short of expectations in the US domestic market and the foreign box office are disappointing. There is a distinct possibility this film might not break even and end up losing money for Disney (the film's budget was blown out by the reshoots). This could spell trouble for the head of Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy (she was also heavily criticised for The Last Jedi). 

11 hours ago, LHC said:

Box office wise this film appears to be a disaster for Disney and Lucasfilm

Yep it does, but reviews are still ok? :blink:

TOMATOMETER 

71%
Average Rating: 6.4/10
Reviews Counted: 334
Fresh: 237
Rotten: 97

Critics Consensus: A flawed yet fun and fast-paced space adventure, Solo: A Star Wars Story should satisfy newcomers to the saga as well as longtime fans who check their expectations at the theater door.

AUDIENCE SCORE 

Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 31,113

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/03/movies/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office.html

After an already rickety launch, “Solo: A Star Wars Story” took a nose-dive at the box office in its second week in theaters, earning just $29.3 million domestically. The 66 percent drop-off is a poor omen for coming “Star Wars” films and an additional sign that the film might have been rolled out too quickly after “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” “Solo” still took No. 1 at the box office in a quiet week, and now has amassed $264.2 million globally, according to comScore, which compiles box-office data. But Disney and Lucasfilm still have a huge hill to climb to reach the $400 million price tag of making and marketing the movie worldwide. Ticket sales for “Solo” pale next to those of the last three “Star Wars” films: For comparison, “Rogue One,” another stand-alone installment, made $96 million in its second week in 2016.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

We rarely go to the movies, once twice a year if lucky so box office irrelevant...

tomato meter is usually pretty spot on...

though am sure there are peoples own preferences. so if they feel its a turkey then it is a turkey. however good chance be others that appreciate it for what ever it is.

I've tended to watch a lot of movies not really hollywood block busters. many of which do have good tomato meter ratings which just goes to show...

as a note with the tomato meter, sometimes will find audiences review rating wont necessarily correlate with the professional reviewers...again goes to show sometimes plenty of people still like a movie even if officially doest review well...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, :) al said:

again goes to show sometimes plenty of people still like a movie even if officially doest review well...

In this case though the reviewer score is higher than the audience score.

Guest Sime

That’ll be the hardcore Star Wars fanatics votes I’m guessing, the rest of the population couldn’t give a shyte. 

49 minutes ago, Sime said:

That’ll be the hardcore Star Wars fanatics votes I’m guessing, the rest of the population couldn’t give a shyte. 

Well they are the professional reviewers who tend to review for RT... so not sure what you mean there, unless you mean the audience score (which is low)?

Personally I am keen for this and feel they have released it too early after the last.

I'm a SW fan, so anything SW piques my interest... seems you're not really a fan Sime? :blink:

• Like 1

Guest Sime
59 minutes ago, JSmith said:

seems you're not really a fan Sime? :blink:

Do you honestly think my constant anger at these new films is based around the opinion of someone who wasn’t a fan?

i would have thought by now it was purely obvious that my disappointment around the sequels is coming from a place of huge fandom. What amazes me is the level of acceptance coming from other so called fans. 

Edited by Sime

Guest Sime
1 hour ago, JSmith said:

I'm a SW fan, so anything SW piques my interest

You see now this is the problem, you’ll accept anything with a Star Wars logo on it going by this statement. 

Episode 4 in the era it was made was magnificent, there’s no reason why the sequels in today’s time can’t be as magnificent. 

No reason. They only exist to make money, and Disney is now seeing the error in their ways. They should have taken the time and made good movies that will make them money in the long term, not just a few months when released, both in the theaters and DVD…………