Cul8r

What is reasonable in quality and price XLR cable?

3 minutes ago, Anthony1 said:

The hifi scene is carefully priced to match sound quality.

Sometimes it’s carefully priced to match gullibility. 

I’ve always used Neutrik cables bought from the local guitar shop. I’m more than happy to miss out on the extra “sound quality” :) 

9 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Sometimes it’s carefully priced to match gullibility.

Agreed. I'm happy to spend bucketloads on my hifi, but there are many MANY components that have been turned into hifi accessories which don't ever affect the sound quality (at least to my ears), and then I'll just use a robustly made cheap component. This seems to rile up some people when they see I've spent a fortune on some things, but used commodity accessories with them - don't know why it should annoy them since it's my hifi. There is the belief that every component or accessory you have should be proportionately priced to your components, and I've often argued that even if I had a million dollar hifi, I would still be using a standard off the shelf power cable if I can't hear the difference between it and a $10k power cable.

While people may disagree with my philosophy on that, I put it to you that you should at the very least audition the components to see if you really hear a difference - preferably blinded, but I don't want to start that debate again, just listen for yourself.

I think things like leads do make a difference in a small way, but don't go buying $2000 sets of lead for your $2000 components? A lead might make a 1% difference, and extra 2 grand on an amp will make a 10-20% difference.

The best trick is to "borrow some leads" and just never return them :P

The old adage applies though, let your ears decide. Agree with

@Ittaku and the power leads debate mostly, but if you have a noise (mains interference) issue a "good" lead will be better as the more expensive designs tend to reject these things better. But if you don't have a problem just get a decent gauge lead for the power amp and you'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

The old adage applies though, let your ears decide. Agree with

@Ittaku and the power leads debate mostly, but if you have a noise (mains interference) issue a "good" lead will be better as the more expensive designs tend to reject these things better. But if you don't have a problem just get a decent gauge lead for the power amp and you'll be fine.

we aren't talking about power cables here are we?

the OP asked about XLR cables 

Apologies for offering a bit of slightly off-topic information in my post.

You did however miss quoting the first post to have brought power cables up.

All good :)  i'm home sick so perhaps a tad snappy, but heavily medicated

Yep I’m using cables made by Bill125812 and they’re the best value for money cables I’ve come across.