What is reasonable in quality and price XLR cable?

Hi to everyone.

Just would like to know what is a good quality XLR audio cable which dosn't cost arm and leg for my new preamp and power amp and where to find it? Does the mic XLR are diffrent from the amp XLR? I live in Sydney NSW.

Cheers

Guest DarkNark
10 hours ago, BATMAQN said:
10 hours ago, Cul8r said:

Does the mic XLR are diffrent from the amp XLR? 

You can google these things.

Yes.You can google these things. I have, and my google fu tells me that there is no difference for interconnects but for amp to speaker connection there is a difference.

Sometimes us newbies just want reassurance that our google fu hasn't let us down. I am sometimes dubious about what I read on the internet or if I am understanding a product, specification or process correctly. I have asked some very (to some) simple questions, probably be asked many times before me. What makes this site great is members are happy to answer them. I sincerely hope this forum does not become one were newbie questions are answered by "google it".

Edited by DarkNark
spelling

1 hour ago, DarkNark said:

Yes.You can google these things. I have, and my google fu tells me that there is no difference for interconnects but for amp to speaker connection there is a difference.

Sometimes us newbies just want reassurance that our google fu hasn't let us down. I am sometimes dubious about what I read on the internet or if I am understanding a product, specification or process correctly. I have asked some very (to some) simple questions, probably be asked many times before me. What makes this site great is members are happy to answer them. I sincerely hope this forum does not become one where newbie questions are answered by "google it".

Are you having a bad day?

I've been on this site for six years over 2000 posts a lot of those have been giving advise and help answering questions of this nature and not to mention the PM's that don't get seen by the general population I also give away and lend gear to members and friends I'm offended by your tone you don't know me and yet you're quite comfortable to make out that I'm being "short" or nasty to the OP which I wasn't, I provided a link to a store that sells decent gear at a reasonable price exactly what he asked for no confusion and he liked my post I'm guessing he's happy with the info I provided. 

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark

@BATMAQN No, but it appears you are. 

Apologies for any offence taken, just my point of view, and something that I have experienced on other sites not related to Hifi or HT. If you were asked by a newbie at a GTG would you respond by telling them they could google it? Or would you explain the differences or similarities of the XLR cables?

Edited by DarkNark

14 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

@BATMAQN No, but it appears you are. 

Apologies for any offence taken, just my point of view, and something that I have experienced on other sites not related to Hifi or HT. If you were asked by a newbie at a GTG would you respond by telling them they could google it? Or would you explain the differences or similarities of the XLR cables?

@DarkNark No I wasn't having a bad day and I'm still not no offence taken, all good here I don't like bad blood with anyone on here or anywhere really.

If a newbie at a GTG asked me that question face to face I would be honest first of all I would tell them that's a boring subject save some money buy a decent reasonable set of cables and leave it at that spend the extra money on a good set of speakers room treatments a decent source/DAC as well as good quality recorded music vinyl or digital because these things actually do make a difference, cables to me are boring, at my place they get plugged in and forgotten about I don't hear the differences that a lot of people claim (apart from good quality tonearm wire that I'll admit can be a good thing) maybe my hearings no good I'm not saying these differences don't occur I just can't hear them and that is my point of view simple as that and that is what I would tell a newbie and have done numerous times not just face to face whether it's right or wrong I don't know.

??

1 hour ago, Neo said:

@Cul8r

Since you inquiring about microphone cable, it sort of gives the price range.

Look into this 

https://www.storedj.com.au/oyaide-neo-d-stereo-xlr-class-b-cable-1m

it is on back order but if you contact store dj they can give you a timeline, they order this brand all the time as it is popular 

Neo

46 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Sometimes us newbies just want reassurance that our google fu hasn't let us down. I am sometimes dubious about what I read on the internet or if I am understanding a product, specification or process correctly. I have asked some very (to some) simple questions, probably be asked many times before me. What makes this site great is members are happy to answer them. I sincerely hope this forum does not become one where newbie questions are answered by "google it".

No experience with microphone cable, should have mentioned that. 

Look into Store DJ

Neo

Guest DarkNark

^^^

My reference to amps to speakers connection being different is the way they are wired. Ie. A microphone cable being used has 3 conductors wired to 3 pins and are fine for interconnects but amp to speaker only needing 2 conductors then 2 of the conductors are joined together. As far as walking into a music shop and buying XLR's for your interconnects I believe that is fine.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/xlr-speaker-cable-vs-xlr-microphone-cable

@BATMAQN  All good mate ?. I was just trying to make a general point. Unfortunately I used your post as an example, I guess insensitively.

@Cul8r Have you considered making your own? 

https://www.psaudio.com/article/how-to-make-a-50-high-end-xlr-interconnect/

If you live in Melbourne you can go to the shop called "Factory Sound" in South Melbourne where they sell XLR cables that they make using Neutrik connectors and Japanese made cables like Canare. You can ask them to make one for you with whatever length you want. I bought the Neutrik XLR connectors, Canare RCA connectors, Canare cables and sleeves here to make my own cables. I am pretty sure there must be a place in Sydney where they sell those things as well.

Cheers.

• Like 2

On 31/05/2018 at 8:35 AM, Andy64 said:

If you live in Melbourne you can go to the shop called "Factory Sound" in South Melbourne where they sell XLR cables that they make using Neutrik connectors and Japanese made cables like Canare. You can ask them to make one for you with whatever length you want. I bought the Neutrik XLR connectors, Canare RCA connectors, Canare cables and sleeves here to make my own cables. I am pretty sure there must be a place in Sydney where they sell those things as well.

Cheers.

I have been here and can vouch for the quality.  I wont get into any debates about high end cables.  These are good enough for my needs and systems

Cheers.

I think it was mentioned higher up, Swamp Industries custom make cables, Neutrik connectors, Canare cable, that sort of stuff

https://www.swamp.net.au

I’ve used them and been impressed by their products and standard of work

Buy @Bill125812 cables. Think mine were $180 each.

Not sure what’s going on above, but I thought it was against forum guidelines to tell someone to “google it”. I also don’t know what Google fu is... about to find out :)

Well there you go OP, that’s got to be worth trying. 

Swamp Industries (as I posted above) might even be cheaper, even with gold plated Neutriks, good cable, so plenty of options

Remember you get what you pay for.
The hifi scene is carefully priced to match sound quality.
You can be better of in the long run by visiting hifi shops who might let you demo proven products that deliver hi-fi rather than low-fi.