Sign in to follow this  
Thirtysomething

Sub to fill range below 110hz

I have a pair of Paradigm Milennia lcr 30's that look aesthetically good either side of the tv. Trouble is they dont sound anywhere near as good as the Paradigm Monitor 9's that they replaced (Replaced due to looks and fit) - mid range just isnt there for music

Could the sonic gap be plugged with a good sub, has to be compact

45 minutes ago, Thirtysomething said:

I have a pair of Paradigm Milennia lcr 30's that look aesthetically good either side of the tv. Trouble is they don't sound anywhere near as good as the Paradigm Monitor 9's that they replaced (Replaced due to looks and fit) - mid range just isn't there for music

If you're thinking of a sub which has a roll-off point of 110Hz because your Paradign lcr 30s don't go down very far then I would suggest, yes, you could get an excellent result by doing the following:

• two active subs, placed next to the lcr 30s.
  • 24dB L-R LP filter on the subs (-6dB point is 110Hz)
  • complementary 24dB L-R HP filter on the mains @ 110Hz
  • active filter (such as a miniDSP) handling the LP/HP filters - and delay for the mains.  Which model depends on whether you have a digital system or an analogue system

Andy

:welcome: to the forum.

Yes, a single sub will do the job. But 2 good subs are even better.  The room plays a significant role.  How large is it and its shape?  I assume a shared room?  

Some things to consider:

• Does your integrated amp or pre-pro have a  separate output for the sub?  
  • Any flexibility in sub placement? 
  • How compact must sub be?  Subs need volume, especially if room is large
  • What is your budget?

Adding a sub to a music system is not just plugging it in.  Will need to invest some time and effort to get the sub positioned properly, properly integrated.

Sorry for so many questions, but the more info you can provide, the better we can help....

I would look at something like the SVS SB-2000 ,these are very flat from 20-200hz (+/- 3dB 19-220hz)

Hi All, thanks for the responses, few more details as requested + 2 Pics

The current AMP has one sub preout, currently feeding my 20yr old Yamaha sub

There is limited places to place them as this is the main living area and my wife isnt into big boxes! Ive added a pic showing where the current SUB is and a location for a second under the current white cabinetary in the corner - which has max height of 30cms

Room is pretty large approx 6m wide and 8+ meters long

Happy to replace the amp and existing sub, to around 1k per sub

20180524_032653912_iOS.jpg

20180524_032647175_iOS.jpg

On 22/05/2018 at 8:59 PM, Thirtysomething said:

I have a pair of Paradigm Milennia lcr 30's that look aesthetically good either side of the tv. Trouble is they dont sound anywhere near as good as the Paradigm Monitor 9's that they replaced (Replaced due to looks and fit) - mid range just isnt there for music

If you're saying the mid-range is not good then changing your current sub-woofer for another probably doesn't seem like the right course of action.

Mmm, you have a large room and size restrictions on sub.!   :sad:   From your picture, your sub is about 30 x 30 x 45 cm, and I assume wife does not want bigger? The SVS SB-2000 suggested above is good, less tall, slightly longer, wider, but above your budget.  

I assume you are open to 2 subs and suggest reading the following to get an idea of where they can placed (written for HT but still apply to music).

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/dual-subwoofer-placement-for-your-home

Get the placement right will go a long way to getting it integrated.

Having 1 sub pre-out ok, can use a Y splitter. No need to change amp yet, especially if you are happy with it.

Grab two Paradigm MilleniaSubs and a Y-splitter cable as @Snoopy8 suggests. Dimensions are on their website and can be laid flat, maybe even fitting under the entertainment cabinet. Also, get the PBK kit to calibrate the two. Big WAF.

IMG_20180530_075133.jpg

IMG_20180530_075152.jpg