Sign in to follow this  
blybo

Giro d'Italia 2018

I've been watching as much of this as my body can take, which aint much these days. The Giro it the best stage racing of the year IMHO. Riders are not betting their whole year on it and are prepared to take bigger risks.

This year has been fantastic to see someone "fresh" take it to Froome and leave him in his wake. Admittedly, Froome looks like a battered man with all the off bike stuff going on. Still, far more exciting than watching Team Sky ride to their power meter readouts like robots.

On a personal note, I go to the region the TT will be in tonight every 6 months for work, and stay in the town stage 17 will depart from Riva del Garda. A beautiful spot I love going to, just wish I could stay longer each time. Check out the scenery tomorrow night, particularly early in the stage, you won't be disappointed.

I agree, the Giro is the best stage race of the year. The Tour is an event, the Giro is a race, and way more difficult. Froome, a rider with no racecraft and poor bike skills (and apparently no salbutamol), is really struggling here and Sky's one-dimensional tactics are nullified as no team is able to control the race. I've been to Bardonecchia, the Stage 18 finish town and also the site of Juventus' training academy

16 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

I've been to Bardonecchia, the Stage 18 finish town and also the site of Juventus' training academy

Lucky man - Susa valley - stunning part of the world.

I must say that the most impressive rider this Giro has been Jack Haig - what a gun! He rode Froome off his wheel. If he were riding for himself he'd be top 10 at only 24. Ben O'Connor was knocked off his bike by Froomey and lost a minute, he'd be top 10 as well if he hadn't lost that time

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Still, far more exciting than watching Team Sky ride to their power meter readouts like robots.

100% mate.The Tour back in the old days used to be like this. Joopy missing out five times, Van Impe, Herrera and Delgado attacking in the mountains. Hinault taking control. Lemond whinging. Roche going to hospital overnight thru oxygen loss. Looking at Kellys knees with no patellas. Fantastic.  

Team Sky, The Murdoch's doing to cycling what they've done to the English speaking democracies

5 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

O'Connor was knocked off his bike by Froomey and lost a minute,

Anquetil would be turning in his grave if he had to watch Froomes technique.

6 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Anquetil would be turning in his grave if he had to watch Froomes technique.

Too busy impregnating his step-daughter and then his daughter-in-law to notice. Mind you, almost anything is preferable to watching Froomey's technique.

11 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Too busy impregnating his step-daughter and then his daughter-in-law to notice. Mind you, almost anything is preferable to watching Froomey's technique.

Damn, where did you get that muck from?

4 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Damn, where did you get that muck from?

Anquetil was a 'strange man' off the bike. Google his 'exploits', these days he'd have ended up in jail.

6 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Anquetil was a 'strange man' off the bike. Google his 'exploits', these days he'd have ended up in jail.

Was only interested in his cycling exploits and style😉

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

Wiki says his repeat ménage à trois were consensual arrangements between adults. Seems legal even in current times and perhaps almost part of the  French tradition in 1970's?   

36 minutes ago, Nada said:

Wiki says his repeat ménage à trois were consensual arrangements between adults. Seems legal even in current times and perhaps almost part of the  French tradition in 1970's?   

His daughter was 18, even younger than Woody Allen's daughter

Wow! 681 references on that Wiki page. Froome's name will appear in reference 682 very soon

Froome playing us all for fools tonight. They'll be sticking a hazmat label on his urine sample. One of the truths in cycling is that when a performance looks too good to be true, it is.

Sad for Ben O'Connor.

1 minute ago, proftournesol said:

Froome playing us all for fools tonight. They'll be sticking a hazmat label on his urine sample. One of the truths in cycling is that when a performance looks too good to be true, it is.

Sad for Ben O'Connor.

+1 on that.......

Yea, nah, it's all about his cadence 🐸

80 km solo attack, into a headwind, and he put 3 minutes into a group of 4 riders including the world TT champion. LOL

George Bennet's comment when he heard the result. Priceless

"Did Froome stay away? No way!" Bennett said in astonishment when he was told that Froome won by three minutes and was also in the maglia rosa.

"He did a Landis. Jesus! Are you kidding me?"

9ZLkBzSO11sG4fHx?format=jpg&name=medium

The dinosaurs dont bother Chris

he's a great role model for all asthmatics

4C9FBB8000000578-5772091-image-a-2_15272

Edited by Nada

He didn't stop for the salbutamol, he'd already taken enough😀

I did read an interesting study that looked at the impact of long-term therapeutic use of terbutaline, another anti-asthma drug and it showed that users gained an extra kilogram of muscle. That was with normal regular dosing, not Froome level dosing.

Seems to me that the medical-therapeutic/performance enhancing substance issue is kinda grey and murky.  In one sense I'd be inclined to say "good on him" for triumphing over a medical condition and becoming a truly elite athlete.  But if he suffers from asthma, isn't that just too bad?  Like having low testosterone or just being pissweak?

And unfortunately his team's reputation is not high.  You'd reckon they might try to see themselves as others see them, and make efforts to be cleaner than clean.  Apparently not.

Here's George:

Edited by k-k-k-kenny

If his asthma had really been bad enough to require double a maximal therapeutic dose then it's unlikely that he'd have been able to start that Vuelta stage yet alone win it

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

If his asthma had really been bad enough to require double a maximal therapeutic dose then it's unlikely that he'd have been able to start that Vuelta stage yet alone win it

... but wouldn't it be exercise induced asthma for a competitive road cyclist?

That would hit  them during the race as they suck in huge quantities of pollen out in the country. 

Theres a rationale for the limit on salbutamol intake. Small doses direct to the airways treat asthma without giving non-asthmatics significant benefit. Large doses go to the muscles and can increase cycling endurance by perhaps 10%.

But Froome is a known asthmatic and aware he will be tested. Could it be his Veulta positive was an aberration?

According to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules, 800 micrograms of salbutamol can be taken by an athlete via inhaler in a 12 hour period. Thats only 8 Ventolin puffs. A mild asthma  attack can be treated with  32 puffs in just one hour.  So Froome may easily have used his 8 puffs in an acute attack mid race  leading to a high spot urine reading without cheating in any way.

Edited by Nada