Sign in to follow this  
nightbreed

SOLD: FS: JVC X500 4K Eshift Projector (price drop)

Item:  JVC X500 4K Projector
Price:  $1500
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: Upgrade
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
Extra Info: Great entry into 4k Eshift projector. Lamp about done (about 200-300hrs left)

Happy to demo, prefer Melbourne pickup. Have all boxes, manuals, remote etc...

Just upgraded to JVC X7900.

Pictures:

IMG_0788.JPG

Edited by nightbreed

Screaming bargain from a reliable seller! GLWTS.

Hi, I am keen on this. Able to ship? PM Sent. 

I have a JVCX35 but have been looking to upgrade into 4k (upgradeitis has hit me), Is shipping safe? I have netflix 4k and but no 4k displays yet. 

Edited by lonewolf

45 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Hi, I am keen on this. Able to ship? PM Sent. 

I have a JVCX35 but have been looking to upgrade into 4k (upgradeitis has hit me), Is shipping safe? I have netflix 4k and but no 4k displays yet. 

MSG Sent.

I am confused, so is this 4k or it isnt 4k? I dont quite get what the articles seem to say?

8 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I am confused, so is this 4k or it isnt 4k? I dont quite get what the articles seem to say?

It will accept a 4K signal, but isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. You'll need something like a Monoprice Blackbird for it to display UHD discs without downresing to 1080P.

sorry I am hopeless at all these HDCP / HDMI revisions etc. It sounds like its not native 4k? Or is it exactly the same as other 4k projectors? Is that HDCP thing why people get those devices like the HDfury etc?

10 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

sorry I am hopeless at all these HDCP / HDMI revisions etc. It sounds like its not native 4k? Or is it exactly the same as other 4k projectors? Is that HDCP thing why people get those devices like the HDfury etc?

For the past few years JVC have been making 4K E-shift projectors. None of them are native 4k (unless you have $40,000 to spend) That said, the way the tech works it does an amazing job. The thing to remember is resolution isn't everything. Contrast is king. I would take a 1080p projector with excellent contrast over 4k with poor contrast. I think you will find most people here would do the same thing.

On 21/05/2018 at 11:08 AM, nightbreed said:

For the past few years JVC have been making 4K E-shift projectors. None of them are native 4k (unless you have $40,000 to spend) That said, the way the tech works it does an amazing job. The thing to remember is resolution isn't everything. Contrast is king. I would take a 1080p projector with excellent contrast over 4k with poor contrast. I think you will find most people here would do the same thing.

Oh really? I had just assumed that since TVs had come down so cheap in the 4k department that projectors would have as well, i guess the technology is different. I will take a look at how different it is from my JVC x30. Wish i hadnt recently bought a new lamp for it :(

Edited by lonewolf

10 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Oh really? I had just assumed that since TVs had come down so cheap in the 4k department that projectors would have as well, i guess the technology is different.

It's the same with TV also. 4K means nothing if the colours are way out and it has very low contrast. a 10 years old, 1080p Pioneer Kuro plasma will still have a much better overall picture than a cheap Chinese 4k TV.

Not many on the forum would disagree.

People get hung up on the whole "4K" thing. I have sold high-end TV's for the past 20 years and even today, 60-70% of people (non-forum people) don't even know what 4K is. They just know it's the latest thing so it MUST the the best.

Edited by nightbreed
added

i thought these days the 4k will look sharper than 1080p and i know the kuros and other top end plasmas contrast was very good but i thought the 4k and LED technology had now meant that the sonys, panasonic, samsung and LG had finally surpassed the old plasmas? But i havent actually properly compared 4k tvs to the 1080p tvs even in the shops. I know in pcs / games it makes a big difference.

So even with netflix 4k or pcs with 4k, may not look as good as a really good 1080p screen?

26 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

i thought these days the 4k will look sharper than 1080p and i know the kuros and other top end plasmas contrast was very good but i thought the 4k and LED technology had now meant that the sonys, panasonic, samsung and LG had finally surpassed the old plasmas? But i havent actually properly compared 4k tvs to the 1080p tvs even in the shops. I know in pcs / games it makes a big difference.

So even with netflix 4k or pcs with 4k, may not look as good as a really good 1080p screen?

They can look sharper if you have native 4K content and are sitting very close to the screen. Go into a store that's playing a 4K demo with grass or a chain link fence for instance. pause the image. In the store they look super sharp and you can see every blade of grass. In 99% of TV stores you are lucky to be standing any further than a meter or so back from the screen. In your own home you would be sitting back from the same screen about 3 - 4 meters back, maybe further. Step back from the store demo (if you can) 3 -4m and those blades of grass and chain link fence are solid green or gone all together in the case of the fence.

I'm a PC gamer myself. I'm running a GTX 1080ti on a 4k monitor. The reason 4k for gaming is amazing is the exact same theory as a 4k TV.  When gaming in 4k your eyes are about 1 to 2 feet from the screen, so you DO see all the details.

Don't get me started on the LED TV joke lol

The biggest scam the TV manufactures played on everyone is the whole LED TV thing. Up until OLED then was NO such thing as a LED TV.  LCD TV's are backlit. They used to be backlit by fluro tubes. Then the back light changed to LED lighting. The LCD panel was EXACTLY the same. TV's got thinner because less heat and less space needed for LED's. The way TV's were marketed was to con people out of their money thinking they were getting some amazing new technology. 

Edited by nightbreed
added

Just want to seek advice, what is the difference between this X500 and the X5000 series? Is it the same?

16 hours ago, kc01 said:

Just want to seek advice, what is the difference between this X500 and the X5000 series? Is it the same?

I think the main difference is the hdcp 2.2 compliance.

To use UHD discs with the X500 you will need something like a hdfury to remove the 2.2 compliance issues. With the X5000 its 2.2 compliant so works with UHD discs.

Note: you can still watch 4k HDR source through the X500 without a hdfury, but it cannot have 2.2 encoding. For example, if you have a media player that has 4k material it will play. Just not discs with out the 2.2 stripper 

23 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

I think the main difference is the hdcp 2.2 compliance.

To use UHD discs with the X500 you will need something like a hdfury to remove the 2.2 compliance issues. With the X5000 its 2.2 compliant so works with UHD discs.

Note: you can still watch 4k HDR source through the X500 without a hdfury, but it cannot have 2.2 encoding. For example, if you have a media player that has 4k material it will play. Just not discs with out the 2.2 stripper 

the 5000 also comes with e-shft 4 for uhd vs e-shft 3 the 500 comes with. the 5000 also has bt2020 colour space for wider colour gamut for uhd. the 5000 also comes with the gamma for UHD for HDR. as a note the wcg capability of 5000 is not quite to the dci-p3 but pretty close for full coverage have to go for the 7000/9000 series. but yes the hdmi chip set for the 5000 is fully compliant for uhd :)

however there is no way in heck you can get a 5000 let alone a 7000 for price the 500 is going here.

the 500 is still useable with uhd even if doesnt take full advantage @Quark can probably comment more on this.

ooops, missed this post. Cheers Al ! 👍

2 hours ago, :) al said:

the 5000 also comes with e-shft 4 for uhd vs e-shft 3 the 500 comes with. the 5000 also has bt2020 colour space for wider colour gamut for uhd. the 5000 also comes with the gamma for UHD for HDR. as a note the wcg capability of 5000 is not quite to the dci-p3 but pretty close for full coverage have to go for the 7000/9000 series. but yes the hdmi chip set for the 5000 is fully compliant for uhd :)

however there is no way in heck you can get a 5000 let alone a 7000 for price the 500 is going here.

the 500 is still useable with uhd even if doesnt take full advantage @Quark can probably comment more on this.

I've been using an X500 to view UHD discs. Initially using a Blackbird to get around the HDCP 2.2 issue, more recently a HDFury Integral. There is a custom gamma curve that's been developed by some of the enthusiasts over on AVS that will allow a decent approximation of HDR - I'm yet to try it - been busy moving house and just about to commence the new HT room build so nothing setup at present.

The Blackbird is plug and play and just works, but offers nothing beyond HDCP 2.2. The Integral took some mucking around to setup, but does provide the means to implement HDR with the custom gamma curve.

Price drop .........

Do you know how much the replacement bulb would cost? Whereabouts do you guys normally recommend? I know there seems to be various types of bulb replacements, some are completely non genuine, then others seem to use a third party bulb but original housing and then there is the full genuine replacements.

28 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Do you know how much the replacement bulb would cost? Whereabouts do you guys normally recommend? I know there seems to be various types of bulb replacements, some are completely non genuine, then others seem to use a third party bulb but original housing and then there is the full genuine replacements.

Roughly about $450. I would buy from a JVC retailer or a reputable online seller.

Hi does it include the 3d emitter and any glasses?

26 minutes ago, mpearce38 said:

Hi does it include the 3d emitter and any glasses?

on jvc's theyre an extra since not everyone is into 3D.. you can end up spending $500 just on a full set of those. so I suspect not :D but worth the ask :)

3D used to be a thing some people did once..... the smart people didn't bother!

Now sold!