Thoughts on phono pre for old man. Up to $1100?

Another open question. I think we may have decided on a TT now we are thinking pre-amps. It looks like he's going to be running a MC so a pre with both or just MC. I have 3 in mind but want some opinions.

Cheers

Blake.

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

You could try the Graham Slee Accession MC via@cheekyboy

Thanks for the endorsement, John, but the Slee Accession MC is a bit over the OP's budget of $1100.00. My recommendation is for the Slee Reflex C in that budget and I've sent him a loaner Reflex C to trial and of course use with Dave's Dostoyevsky. I agree though, the Accession MC would be the choice of one box MC phono stages, but the Reflex C is the MC version of the Reflex M and an excellent LOMC phono stage and a perfect match for the Soulines Dostoyevsky rig he has.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

On 17/05/2018 at 5:21 PM, blakey72 said:

Another open question. I think we may have decided on a TT now we are thinking pre-amps. It looks like he's going to be running a MC so a pre with both or just MC. I have 3 in mind but want some opinions.

Cheers

Blake.

Out of interest, which one did you both decide on?

Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117.

Often come up for around $500 used and that's what I sold mine for. They are battery powered so dead quiet and plenty of adjustments which can be made on the fly, MM or MC.

I only sold mine due to simplicity as my new integrated has a decent MM phono input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

Someone's happy today   :)   looks very nice indeed.

Yes he's very happy. Not ecstatic yet cause It's at my place playing through my Plinius 9200 phono pre. His Yamaha didn't have enough omph. Keith has sent down (thanks Keith) a Reflex C to try out so that will give us a better idea. I'll be interested to see how the Slee performs against the onboard Plinius pre.  I'll have a look at the Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117 too @blybo Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I have found the musical surroundings phonomena ii to be exceptional value in my own set up

PMC MB2's >> Arye MX-R's, ARC Ref 3 >> MS P2 >> Thoerens 124 & Rega p9.

Its worth your consideration for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjay said:

I have found the musical surroundings phonomena ii to be exceptional value in my own set up

PMC MB2's >> Arye MX-R's, ARC Ref 3 >> MS P2 >> Thoerens 124 & Rega p9.

Its worth your consideration for sure.

I am reading some good things about this pre. We'll keep it in mind ;)

Guest Misterioso

Arcam's rPhono fits the budget as well. Michael Fremer recently gave it an enthusiastic review. Have not heard it myself but would like to. 

why spending $1000? I got a $10 Very Simple Phono Stage PCB, solder it myself and then put it in my amp.

It sounds amazing. Miss Gilda in Rigoletto sounds fantastic. 

vsps.jpg

Edited by Jing

why spending $1000? I got a $10 Very Simple Phono Stage PCB, solder it myself and then put it in my amp.

It sounds amazing. Miss Gilda in Rigoletto sounds fantastic. 
vsps.thumb.jpg.66deb00b6a605bf7ede73d71b1b790f3.jpg
I built a tube one from China on eBay
Sounds good to me cost about $10 post paid
I put in superior GE tubes but no change?

17 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I built a tube one from China on eBay
Sounds good to me cost about $10 post paid
I put in superior GE tubes but no change?

If there was no change in sq after fitting superior tubes I would guess that shows your phono stage has limitations in its design. 

Edited by TerryO

On 19/05/2018 at 12:20 PM, blybo said:

Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117.

Often come up for around $500 used and that's what I sold mine for. They are battery powered so dead quiet and plenty of adjustments which can be made on the fly, MM or MC.

I only sold mine due to simplicity as my new integrated has a decent MM phono input.

Yes Nighthawk are great value it. another great MM phono that I've used is haggerman cornet 3