tcliffo1

Meridian g08 vs Krell 30i as Transport

Hi everyone...

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences using either of these players as transports? And which one do you think would perform better if used solely as a tranport?

Edited by tcliffo1

The Krell used a cheap Phillips CD only laser. The Meridian uses an Atapi ROM drive. Never compared them though unfortunately. @georgehifi might know.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

The Krell used a cheap Phillips CD only laser. The Meridian uses an Atapi ROM drive. Never compared them though unfortunately. @georgehifi might know.

The Krell 30I used:    KRELL KPS 30i    Burr Brown R2R Multibit 4 x PCM63P-K DAC, – PMD100 HDCD,  Philips CDM12.4 

The Meridian G08 used:    MERIDIAN G08  Analog Devices Delta Sigma  AD1852 DAC,  Korean DVD-ROM DVS DSL-710A 

Cheers George

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

The Krell 30I used:    KRELL KPS 30i    Burr Brown R2R Multibit 4 x PCM63P-K DAC, – PMD100 HDCD,  Philips CDM12.4 

The Meridian G08 used:    MERIDIAN G08  Analog Devices Delta Sigma  AD1852 DAC,  Korean DVD-ROM DVS DSL-710A 

Cheers George

Thanks for your response :)

Do you think the Krell 30i would make a better transport than the meridian?. Or would they be the same?

Once a Krell owner, always a Krell owner.

Widely different almost eras in terms of digital audio gear. Given this is the only choice from these two, go the Krell. What beasts, what ostentatious muckery.

42 minutes ago, tcliffo1 said:

Do you think the Krell 30i would make a better transport than the meridian?. Or would they be the same?

I would think so.

Cheers George

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LWA Staff
      Item: Meridian 598 CD/DVD/DVD-A Transport (Component Version)
      Location: Len Wallis Audio HQ, 64 Burns Bay Road, Lane Cove NSW
      Price: $300
      Item Condition: Very good 2nd hand condition
      Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, Credit Cards, Bank Transfer
      Shipping: we can ship to anywhere in Australia, price is dependent on the individual item and your location
      Extra Info: This Meridian 598 CD/DVD/DVD-A Transport (Component Version) – includes MSR system remote and original book.
      The 598 is a quality engineered single-chassis transport that will read many different discs, including both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video discs, plus standard 16-bit CDs and more!
      Pictures:

• By anthony vinyl
      Item: meridian 508. 20 CD player
      Price: 925
      Item Condition: excellent
      Reason for selling: too good to be sitting around
      Payment Method:  Cash, Paypal + %, transfer. 
      Extra Info: stunning sounding CD player -  very 'analogue' with lovely mids but still plenty of sparkle in the top. beautiful condition. remote is not original and has more functions than necessary but does the work. new laser 2008 and not much use since. this was actually the reason for my jumping in to purchasing this unit - a new laser in a meridian. the only caveat is that the fast forwardtrack and fast backtrack  buttons can be slow to respond  . the standard forward and other functions are fine

Pictures:

2     Quote   Edit   Bookmark  

• By anthony vinyl
      Item: meridian 508. 20 CD player
      Price: 900
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling: too good to be sitting around
      Payment Method:  Cash, Paypal + %, transfer. 
      Extra Info: stunning sounding CD player -  very 'analogue' with lovely mids but still plenty of sparkle in the top. beautiful condition. remote is not original and has more functions than necessary but does the work. new laser 2008 and not much use since. this was actually the reason for my jumping in to purchasing this unit - a new laser in a meridian. the only caveat is that the fast forwardtrack and fast backtrack  buttons can be slow to respond  . the standard forward and other functions are fine

Pictures:

• By LWA Staff
      Item: Meridian DSP5000HC Centre-channel
      Price: $550
      Item Condition: Mint 2nd-hand condition!
      Shipping: We can ship anywhere in Australia, POA.
      Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, Credit Cards, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: This is a Meridian DSP5000C 24/96 Center Channel Speaker. These where $7000 when new!
      Key Features:
      > 2.5-way active loudspeaker with DSP crossover
      > Self-contained audio system, each comprising three custom drivers, three amplifiers, two digital converters, digital crossovers and advanced sound shaping DSP computers
      > Listener control over features including bass, treble tilt, listening axis, volume, time compensated balance and absolute phase
      > Cabinet constructed from MDF, braced and damped and finished with wood veneer
      > Three 75W power amplifiers, one for each of the drivers. Power amplifiers use a unique feedback topology and precision local error correction systems to achieve a performance equivalent to the conversion system.
       Pictures: