synthz

Did I just kill my SCHIIT FREYA?!

Yes I'm still very keen to hear the freya! I was only up to the JFET stage and that already gives me improvements!; Sounds are more full and solid from the few seconds I've heard it. Felt the gain increase as well. 

Please cut the newbie some slack. We all make mistake somewhere along the line. Yes damage is done. How bad? No one knows until a qualified technician has chance to check it out. No point making the newbie feeling more guilt. Move on and get it assessed.

Isn't this a community fostering some luv for those who loves hifi?

15 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Please cut the newbie some slack. We all make mistake somewhere along the line. Yes damage is done. How bad? No one knows until a qualified technician has chance to check it out. No point making the newbie feeling more guilt. Move on and get it assessed.

Isn't this a community fostering some luv for those who loves hifi?

What on earth are you talking about? No-one here has tried to force guilt onto anyone, everyone is trying to help. Well everyone except that person ^^^^^^

Nah no guilt at all, I think nearly everyone's been there at some stage.

While changing amps over on the same set of speakers I used to just leave the interconnects and cables sitting on the ground for more convenient swapping of amps, accidentally turned on one of the amps while disconnected and the + and - were touching at the speaker end. 

"hmmmmm, that's interesting, why has my amp stopped working???" "oh well, off to the techie I go"

Any way Synth, chin up, its all part of it, as much hated as it is. just find a good techie, everyone here will point you in the right direction.

Looking at the instruction manual, it says to first turn on the unit and the next 2 steps are to connect the input and output cables. Is that the correct advice? Every manual I've ever read advises the opposite.

2 minutes ago, deanB said:

Looking at the instruction manual, it says to first turn on the unit and the next 2 steps are to connect the input and output cables. Is that the correct advice? Every manual I've ever read advises the opposite.

The golden rule of audio is to never, ever, have the amplifier switched on while connecting anything at all.

Didn't read the manual but that advice is just bonkers.

30 minutes ago, deanB said:

Is that the correct advice?

Nope, it isn't... and well spotted.

OP may well have a point now about confusing and incorrect instructions.

JSmith :ninja:

51 minutes ago, deanB said:

Where does it say that? Are you drunk?

8 minutes ago, Nada said:

Where does it say that?

Well it seems to say to at least insert the tubes correctly first... but it is odd that it says to turn the product on before connecting sources. Then it refers to powering up...

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by JSmith
:blink:

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Step 3

Is that a new cocktail?

44 minutes ago, Nada said:

Where does it say that? Are you drunk?

Yesh, siam.

:)    

I got curious and looked at the manual. Well that's weird. The Freya seems to have a "microprocessor" that connects the output. Does it do some internal collaboration on first start up that needs it to be isolated?  I wouldn't do that with any other gear.  Scary.

image.png.06d5b4e63d837825377f73a02346a7da.png

Edited by Nada

I hope this ends up working out for you.  I've been incredibly impressed with my Schiit Saga, the Freya's little brother. Magic with a Quad 405 copy.