Did I just kill my SCHIIT FREYA?!

Yes I'm still very keen to hear the freya! I was only up to the JFET stage and that already gives me improvements!; Sounds are more full and solid from the few seconds I've heard it. Felt the gain increase as well. 

• Like 1

Please cut the newbie some slack. We all make mistake somewhere along the line. Yes damage is done. How bad? No one knows until a qualified technician has chance to check it out. No point making the newbie feeling more guilt. Move on and get it assessed.

Isn't this a community fostering some luv for those who loves hifi?

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Please cut the newbie some slack. We all make mistake somewhere along the line. Yes damage is done. How bad? No one knows until a qualified technician has chance to check it out. No point making the newbie feeling more guilt. Move on and get it assessed.

Isn't this a community fostering some luv for those who loves hifi?

What on earth are you talking about? No-one here has tried to force guilt onto anyone, everyone is trying to help. Well everyone except that person ^^^^^^

Nah no guilt at all, I think nearly everyone's been there at some stage.

While changing amps over on the same set of speakers I used to just leave the interconnects and cables sitting on the ground for more convenient swapping of amps, accidentally turned on one of the amps while disconnected and the + and - were touching at the speaker end. 

"hmmmmm, that's interesting, why has my amp stopped working???" "oh well, off to the techie I go"

Any way Synth, chin up, its all part of it, as much hated as it is. just find a good techie, everyone here will point you in the right direction.

Guest deanB

Looking at the instruction manual, it says to first turn on the unit and the next 2 steps are to connect the input and output cables. Is that the correct advice? Every manual I've ever read advises the opposite.

2 minutes ago, deanB said:

Looking at the instruction manual, it says to first turn on the unit and the next 2 steps are to connect the input and output cables. Is that the correct advice? Every manual I've ever read advises the opposite.

The golden rule of audio is to never, ever, have the amplifier switched on while connecting anything at all.

Didn't read the manual but that advice is just bonkers.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, deanB said:

Where does it say that? Are you drunk?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nada said:

Where does it say that?

Well it seems to say to at least insert the tubes correctly first... but it is odd that it says to turn the product on before connecting sources. Then it refers to powering up...

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by JSmith
:blink:

:)    

I got curious and looked at the manual. Well that's weird. The Freya seems to have a "microprocessor" that connects the output. Does it do some internal collaboration on first start up that needs it to be isolated?  I wouldn't do that with any other gear.  Scary.

image.png.06d5b4e63d837825377f73a02346a7da.png

Edited by Nada

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MattyW.... just rub it in mate! :P  The Freya is still in repair in Melbourne. It's been almost a month now, I asked for an update to ATA few days ago. They're saying they're in contact with Schiit people in USA to try to repair it. They haven't told me what the issues is, so i still have no clue in regards to damage result and costing. I haven't even heard the tube sounds in my Freya! LOL... I've got Audio Research LS8 preamp in the mail, hopefully that can satisfy me with a preamp necessity for now. I also hope the tube sounds of the two will be different (The ARC LS8 uses 6922 tubes rather than 6SN7).

• 1 month later...

Alright finally the Freya has been repaired and fitted with new matched quad tubes. It took pretty long to get this sorted (over 2 months?) So I'm glad to get this back!

Will try it in my system today and see how the tubes sound. My current gear is slightly different than before but i think i should be able to utilise all the input modes now rather than just using the tubes only. The reason is because I'm using Vincent SP T800 class a hybrid power anp. The tubes at the front stage is providing different taste than my previous setup, so it will be inyeresting to try with the J FET AND TUBE stage

Total cost is $229 for new tubes only ordered from Schiit.  The tech said there was nothing wrong with it, it just needs new tubes. 

• Love 1

Update: Two Words: "Happy Ending".

Just for context, this is my current rig:

I just hooked up the Freya into the system and replaced the Audio Research LS8 preamp in the current signal chain. The synergy of Freya with Vincent SP T-800 is unbelievable! This is the most musical synergy that i've got so far! I'm really impressed, well done Schiit! 

But first of all... I checked for any smokes coming out of the tubes... phew.. i guess i'm safe now!! :) Let's start spinning the digital 'wheels of steel'!

J-FET Mode: I wasn't very happy with the synergy of the ARC LS8 with the SP T-800 because there was a slight compromise in the low end, such as kick drum — i feel like i'm losing a bit of 'slam' with the kick drums, almost like as if the transients are round off by the tubes. There's nothing wrong with the SP T-800, it's still highly musical. I'm getting improvements in the highs, more warm and musical. I'm hearing those great tube sounds compared to the previous setup with the class D Primare A34.2. Now, with Freya in J-FET mode i'm getting back all the kick drum goodness that i miss. The slam is back, the energy and punch is back. That also convinced me it was just a matter of synergy. ARC LS8 is a tube preamp, so i was thinking maybe the solid state-ness of J-FET mode in Freya creates a perfect synergy.

Then i tried the Tubes Mode...

Oh. my. god. This is even more musical than before!!!! Those tubes does something to vocals that i can't describe, but it's really silky warm and almost sounds like the singer is in the room with you. I've never felt this before, this is really awesome. Kick drums sounds even more slammed and have more musical ambience. Snares are snappy and musical. Toe-tapping level is 'on the roof'. I also feel my bass is less 'boomy' and sounds better. Totally non-fatiguing and can listen for all day. Classical music sounds great too, like you can feel the 'wood' in the strings sections, violins sounds have more 'body', electric guitars have better mids than before, acoustic guitars have better transients.

The two plus months wait were worthed haha.  

Synthz_SigGraphic_2018_Aug_04.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, synthz said:

Alright finally the Freya has been repaired and fitted with new matched quad tubes.

Dam those guys for fixing it, I was going to offer you Schiit for it unfixed, so I could fix it.

Always looking for cheap Schiit to do A/B's with.

BTW: glad it's all working now, I've been a staunch advocator of the Sys and the Freya.

Cheers George

MattyW — Thanks mate, i'm over the moon with my new setup!

georgehifi — Hahaha yeah they did it even if it took a bit of time. If you haven't demoed it you should take a listen.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Dam those guys for fixing it, I was going to offer you Schiit for it unfixed, so I could fix it.

Always looking for cheap Schiit to do A/B's with.

BTW: glad it's all working now, I've been a staunch advocator of the Sys and the Freya.

Cheers George

Should add the Saga to that list George. The best sounding preamp I've ever run.  Extremely transparent. I lack the space for the larger Freya.

10 minutes ago, synthz said:

MattyW — Thanks mate, i'm over the moon with my new setup!

georgehifi — Hahaha yeah they did it even if it took a bit of time. If you haven't demoed it you should take a listen.

I really wish you were in Brisbane.  Been curious about Vincent amps for a while,  although their phono stages aren't really my cup of tea.

We seem to be in a time where incredible sound can be achieved without breaking the bank.  A good time to be in the hobby :)

Probably your only worry now is if you get used to how good it sounds. There's always speaker, power and interconnect cable changes.... For me the fix was a second main system at the same level,  though noticeably different sonics. Double the fun :)

Edited by MattyW